Hey guys!

I'm pretty much done with the reassembly, I haven't put in the retainer yet, but wanted to check for function. Here's the problem I'm having with the hammer.

I can cock it with my fingers, though it seems to take a bit more pressing to get it to cock back then the factory one did. The big problem is that while I CAN cock it with my fingers, the bolt carrier doesn't seem to push it back far enough. What happens is the BC slides over the hammer, but the hammer doesn't quite catch, and goes flying up in front of the BC and jams it up something good. I can't for the life of me figure out what I need to do to remedy this problem! Is there some way to make the hammer grab sooner? I can't imagine there is any way to make the BC press harder, besides, I'm sure it would wear like a mother with the extra pressure. I'm using a Arsenal FCG.

Please if anyone thinks they can help! I can't use my rifle and I'm sad now!

:(

I'm going to get my camera to post a couple pics of what I'm talking about. Might take me a minute to find it. :P

Well, I may look stupid now, but that was dfefinitly the problem!! lol!! Everything works now!! I knew I was trying to make things harder than they should have been. lol. I'll post some pics of the final project once my handguard retainer and US piston come in.

• Like 2

Don't sweat it man, that's a very common mistake.

I've heard about it, just never actually seen it until today.

That's the first question Waffenschmied asks when responding to a hammer reset issue.

Well, now you've seen it! Hear that everyone? I'm part of a 1st for Pauly!! :lolol:

Thanks though man, really. Sometimes you know, you can stare a problem right in the face, and not know what the hell is wrong. I was getting slightly frustrated for sure.

Putting the hammer back in can be a real, need 3 arms and 4 hands experience and I think the way the spring can slide all the way around the hammer sometimes spazes people out.

Don't even mention trying to get the bolt hold open spring back like it is supposed to!!!!!! Talk about a PITA!!!

Putting the hammer back in can be a real, need 3 arms and 4 hands experience and I think the way the spring can slide all the way around the hammer sometimes spazes people out.

Don't even mention trying to get the bolt hold open spring back like it is supposed to!!!!!! Talk about a PITA!!!

This is a piece of cake actually. What I do is I put a twist tie through the BHO spring, then put the ends of the twist tie through the slot that the lever sticks out of so that they stick out the bottom of the receiver. Pull on the two ends of the twist tie and it will force the spring down into position for you to install the trigger axis pin. Now you have the spring and the trigger in where they go. Just pull the twist tie out, install the BHO plate with the hammer pin as usual. Then use the punch from the cleaning kit to put the spring on top of the shoulder on the BHO plate. Typing it out makes it sound much more complicated than it is.

I also cut a groove onto the shoulder of the plate with a hacksaw for the spring to sit in to help keep it more secure.

This is a piece of cake actually. What I do is I put a twist tie through the BHO spring, then put the ends of the twist tie through the slot that the lever sticks out of so that they stick out the bottom of the receiver. Pull on the two ends of the twist tie and it will force the spring down into position for you to install the trigger axis pin. Now you have the spring and the trigger in where they go. Just pull the twist tie out, install the BHO plate with the hammer pin as usual. Then use the punch from the cleaning kit to put the spring on top of the shoulder on the BHO plate. Typing it out makes it sound much more complicated than it is.

I also cut a groove onto the shoulder of the plate with a hacksaw for the spring to sit in to help keep it more secure.

Ecellent ideas. I'll give them a try on my inevitable next conversion project.
  • 4 weeks later...

Lol, I did the same thing when I did my 7.62. I just got done fighting with the BHO. Buttoned the gun up, when to cock it and...no beuno. Funny thing is, when I went to to it the second time, the BHO took me all of 5 minutes to do.

Yep, I did the same thing, except I used dental floss.

Edited by W8lifter
  • 5 months later...

lol, I did this too. It took about 4 hours staring at it wondering what was wrong before I looked back at the factory hammer and realized that the striking point was on the reverse of how I had installed it. At least I now know I'm not the only one that has done it. :lolol:

Edited by CPF

can anyone help me my gun wont go back together after my conversion the hammer is in the way and it is installed correctly I think atleat it faces the right direction. Im a newb too. Thanks

Hi... sorry for your troubles. If you could give us a picture of your trigger/hammer area... we could more easily spot your troubles.

Just to be clear... the pictures shown in this thread have the hammer in backwards.

ETA: ah... I see you started a new thread... good idea

Edited by ripcuda