Tri Rail vs RPK Stock and Picatinny Rail

I've been tossing around the idea of changing out my hand guard for awhile and decided to finally do it on my S12. Anyway I like this RPK style handguard along with the Picatinny rail that K-Var.com is selling for the S12. However I also like the Tri-Rial offered at Carolina Shooters. I haven't seen many pictures and don't have the luxury of seeing these in person. Any thoughts or experiences will be gladly appreciated.

imo If you're thinking of getting the rail + hand guard you might as well go ahead and get the full tri-rail. There's a lot more rail, meaning lots more real estate to put whatever accessories on. Also, it looks like the Kvar rail is only set up for the stock gas plug, and it looks like an aftermarket plug (e.g. MD Arms V-plug) wouldn't be able to be put in or taken out without taking the rail off. Don't quote me on that, but from the looks of it, only the stock plug will fit in there.

E.T.A. Which Tri-rail are you speaking of on CSS' website?

Edited by Bullensmash

The only unit I can comment on is the Chaos unit with quad rails. I took mine out of the box, removed the rear sight (keep that in mind ... I had no idea I would need to until attempting the installation) and once mounted, it is rock solid and very attactive. Nevermind the functionality of four rails. I really like this assembly. Just my 2 cents.

imo If you're thinking of getting the rail + hand guard you might as well go ahead and get the full tri-rail. There's a lot more rail, meaning lots more real estate to put whatever accessories on. Also, it looks like the Kvar rail is only set up for the stock gas plug, and it looks like an aftermarket plug (e.g. MD Arms V-plug) wouldn't be able to be put in or taken out without taking the rail off. Don't quote me on that, but from the looks of it, only the stock plug will fit in there.

E.T.A. Which Tri-rail are you speaking of on CSS' website?

If you plan on possibly using a Chaos quick clean-out or a Tac 47 Auto Plug they probably won't fit either.

I've got a chaos trirail and should be recieving a extended top soon, its what I recommend. Pretty well built and not as heavy as one might think. I think its still $99 bucks for a quad on chaos's site so check em out. I should be able to up some pics of it after work tomorrow. If you cant wait that long check out chaosus.com they should have some pics up in the customer wall section. :2c:

EDIT: aparrently the customer wall section isn't working so I jacked a pic from the weaponeer forum review, looks very sharp IMO this particular model has their HK style sights.

post-16002-0-96225100-1296008709_thumb.jpg

Edited by XXasdf

CAROLINA SAIGA 12 TACTICAL BILLET TRI-RAIL

I would like to have a quad rail, but I have an adjustable sight which of course has the raised bar down the length of the gas tube. I mainly wanted the rail so that I could add a fore grip since the MD-20 drum forces you to adjust your grip more towards the muzzle.

The chaos extended top rail requires you to remove the rear sight, most of us just cut it off. You have to drill and tap the top rail to install the chaos sights, you can buy em already installed I believe. If you don't wanna go that route you could always put any rail mounted BUIS on the S12 after the top rail is installed. Haven't gotten my top rail yet but I believe the HK style chaos sights are adjustable.

Edited: for typos, vodkas hitting me hard tonight

Edited by XXasdf

Its sounds like the Tri Rail is the way for me to go for now. It leaves the top portion open for the stock sights, which honestly I can deal with because it is a shotgun and all i need is a bead for a front sight, until I have time to deal with it. That way I dont have to cut or drill anything for a new sight. And I honestly I just need a rail for a foregrip due to the drum. I appreciate the info on the Chaos, but do they make an assembly that doesn't have a big white Chaos label on the side? And I'm assuming that you can purchase a top rail on top of the Tri-Rail later down the road. Or maybe not.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, and for you Chaos guys, does the Tri or Quad Rail eliminate your ability to have a 2 point rifle sling?

I have the UTG quad rail. Comes with two different length top rails, or it can be used as a nice looking tri-rail. It bridges over your sights, and you can still use them with a top rail attached (even with the longer top rail with my scope and some rail covers installed I can sight down them just fine). Has a slot for reinstalling the front sling mount, but you need to get a longer screw than what it was originally installed with. Also it comes with a decent set of rail covers. The only thing I don't like is that the longer choice of top rails is too long and unsupported so it has a bit of flex to it, I have it on now for my scope, but I'm thinking of either switching to the shorter rail and a reflex or dropping the top rail altogether and using an AK scope mount for a more stable scope platform:

hpim0039.jpg

Edited by fauxknight