Making Sure Prior to Conversion

Hello all, I wanted a little clarification from those of you guys who know more about this than I do, which is probably most of you. I wanted to make sure that I had all the necessary parts that I need prior to converting the S12. After watching the video that CSS provided, which is great, I noticed that none of their basic kits had the retaining plate included. The one I was looking at was the SAW grip witht the 8 inch Warsaw stock. I just wanted some clarification on that. It wasn't clear to me if I NEED the retaining plate, or if can use the spring included. And if I use the retaining plate, I'm assuming that I will have to modify the bolt hold open? I may just be retarded but I didn't want to buy a kit, and then have to buy another part again and have to pay additional shipping. Thx for any replies.

The retaining plate is not required, you can use the piece of spring wire to retain the hammer and trigger pins. The plate does a better job, in my opinion, and is much easier to install and uninstall, in my opinion. But if price is your number one consideration, you can use the piece of spring wire to retain the pins. The retaining plate doe snot require any modification to the bolt hold open, that I know of. You can modify the bolt hold open so you can vary the order of assembly of the trigger group (on the Saiga 12 the BHO gets put into place last, after the safety lever, which isn't super convenient, modifying the BHO can let you install the safety last, and have more room to work on getting the spring on the BHO) but it isn't governed by whether you use the spring piece or the retaining plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I almmost fully completed my first conversion. I bought the retaining plate and it failed miserably in my gun. That thing must have been milled differently or maybe it was the gun, but it would not line up at all. And if I did get it lined up, the axis pin would pop right off. I had to bite it and I used the Shepherd Crook, which was kind of a pain, but it worked. I also thought that drilling out the rivets for the plate would be easy, but it wasn't. Seems as though if you dont properly center punch a hole, the drill will walk all over the place. So luckily my buddy was there and we used his Dremel to cut the rivets enough to punch them out. The 2 rivet on the side of the reciever were by far the easiest part of the whole thing and were simple to drill out. It also helped that he had a trashed AK reciever from a hack gun smith laying around the practice with. All in all it went decent, but I'm still pissed about the damn retaining plate. I also modified my old original BHO for the conversion, which was a waste of time! Was the conversion fun? No. Was it rewarding? Yes. And now.............................I'm tired.

Later

• Like 1

I did the conversion and did not have to do anything to my factory BHO. They recommend that you notch it, but I did not have an issue. Anyone else out there not have to notch the BHO??

Notch your BHO like this....

post-22401-0-10095900-1296516534_thumb.jpg

.... and buy the plate. You will be a happy guy :smoke:

I did the conversion and did not have to do anything to my factory BHO. They recommend that you notch it, but I did not have an issue. Anyone else out there not have to notch the BHO??

You don't have to notch the factory BHO. However, if you do notch it (which I recommend), you can install it before the safety, allowing you more room to work on the internals.

I bought the retaining plate and it failed miserably in my gun. That thing must have been milled differently or maybe it was the gun, but it would not line up at all

was it the S12 retaining plate? I remember not long ago someone was had an AK plate and was not able to make it line up in the shotgun

• 2 weeks later...