That's one short term example. All commodities are bound to supply and demand, and in turn subject to market manipulation. There will always be spikes and dips in precious metals price (1980 Hunt brothers anyone?). For long term stability, the metals are a consistent base to meter the values of other goods. In 1900, an ounce of gold would buy a fine Italian suit. It still does. It would take 93% more paper money to make that purchase today. Regardless of the dollar value, the purchasing power will always be consistent. Bank account savings interest doesn't even keep up with inflation, my silver has.

I bought bulk silver coin back when it was $10/once. I then sold when it hit $19/once. Made about $2000. Now I wish I'd have saved some back for now with it at $29. But as it has been said, it is only worth what someone else will give you for it.

I'd say now is not a great time to buy anything other than collector level coin. Silver seems to be hanging at the $29 mark. Gold seems to have stablized as well. But that said, it is never a bad idea to have a back up for if our currancy tanks altogether.

Good luck,

Gold and silver dipped a bit when the euro rebounded. My guess would be large holders were covering their shorts in the currency markets. Silver has rebounded over $2 in the last week.

It's still a buy at $29 an ounce. When currency markets are under stress, silver approaches it's traditional exchange to gold of 16-1. If the currency markets do go south, gold would increase dramatically, but even if it just held it's current level, that would mean silver would be $84.31/oz.

I would say silver potentially has a MUCH greater upside. But none of the metals will lose.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with KalashniKlown; buy into material items, at least somewhat.

I plan on buying into food once money comes back to free-spending levels. A solid surplus of foodstuffs and a carton of cigarettes can probably get you a lot more in a time of need than a shiny silver or gold coin.

By the way, I also have a limited amount of gold/silver. I don't want to get TOO crazy into it, as there can be much more valuable items that can be much more useful in a bartering pinch.

Hell, I may stock up some small amounts of ammo that I don't even use. You never know who may be willing to trade for it in the future.

I love it when a commercial contains a statement similar to this:

The price of Gold is at an all time high, BUY NOW!!!!!

“Gold is going up because people are buying it, and people are buying it because it’s going up,” said Leonard Kaplan, president of Prospector Asset Management in Evanston, Ill., and a longtime gold trader.

If you want to know why gold or silver is a bad investment just Google "why is gold/silver" a bad investment?

If you're worried aabout SHTF, guns and ammo will give you more power then the 1 ounce silver bar.

Edited by Boba Debt
  • Like 1

I'm investing in ammo, guns, food, water filtration/treatment/storage, and rural property plus as much independence as I can afford for said proiperty... septic, water well, photovoltaic system, etc. After this is all paid for then "maybe" I'll buy some silver... but probably not.

Edited by Mike1234567
  • Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone recommending buying hard silver know someone who actually bought low and sold high? Sorry, but the bid/ask spread on low volume, retail precious metals is HUGE. You need a massive rise in price just to sell at the same price as you bought, and you will find that selling is much, much harder than buying unless you are willing to bend over and take it up the chute.

If you are worried about devaluing your portfolio, why would you buy something that devalues it the second you bought it? There are plenty of ways to protect yourself from inflation/currency devaluation that have much, much greater liquidity.

Bottom line, if you see commercials pushing something, somebody is making a ton of money on each transaction- money that basically is pulled straight from your net worth and into theirs.

ETA: Should TEOTWAWKI arrive, items and skills necessary to daily life will be MUCH more valuable for trading than shiny metal.

Smart man. Gold and silver is a suckers game at these levels. Gold is a bubble waiting to pop. Never follow the herd.

Yakdung

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/08/02/vladimir-putin-calls-us-parasite-on-world-economy/

LOL Glad I was a fool.

Edited by 1911

yep... I guess I was a complete moron for buying at $29... The SKS and box of ammo has definitely gone up 30% and my silver is just metal.

$40 an ounce metal.

The dollar is still dropping. Buy silver, buy gold, buy copper if you can't find the other two because it isn't about metal speculation, it is dealing with the reality that the Fed and Congress is printing the US$ into oblivion.