Clip and Magazine!!!!

A Magazine is not a "clip" and a "clip" is not a magazine!!! Please note the difference because after reading a bunch of threads all over this board there are WAY too many people using that term interchangeably.

For the record...a Magazine feeds a chamber, and a " CLIP" feeds a magazine.. Note the SKS. It has a fixed magazine, 10 rounds and is loaded by CLIPS, generally known as "stripper clips". An Ak-47 or Saiga or Glock for example all use removable magazines.

In the instance of the AK or S12 they all have removable, detachable MAGAZINES.

Thank you for your time.

Sorry if this seems to be a nasty post or with mean undertones as that is lost in plain text. But after spending many hours today going through the posts I couldn't take it anymore.. Epically with the person that bought the Thompson Clip for his Saiga 12.. Eventually I figured out he/she bought an MD arms 20 round drum magazine.

Thank you again..

While most of us gun enthusiasts know the difference, we sometimes have to use the word "clip" when talking to people who know nothing about guns. If we use the word "magazine" with them, they think of the weekly magazines you see at the checkout counter at the supermarket. While it's incorrect, it's easier to use the term "clip" while talking to the uninformed. GARY N4KVE

Edited by N4KVE

In the case of the M1 Garand, The term CLIP was universally accepted for the way the ammunition was transported and loaded 'en masse' into the rifle. When the 8th round was fired, the empty 'clip' was ejected and a fresh one inserted and firing resummed. The clip WAS the magazine as much as the fully enclosed metal Magazine used in the M1 Carbine or BAR. It differed from a 'Stripper Clip' in that it remained in the rifle during the firing sequence, as opposed to being removed when the ammo was loaded into a magazine.

So I agree in general with the definitions given above, However there are shades of grey in the useage of the terms that can lead the 'ignorant' into improper terminology. I do agree with the mis-identification of the "Thompson Clip" described above...That is completely in error. The Drum magazine is totally 'external' and even using my poor 'rules of terminology' I would never label that item a "CLIP"

The M1903 rifles also had clips. The clips were how its ammunition was carried and loaded en masse too. Like OP said, the clips fed the magazines on both the M1903 and the Garand. Just because both rifles had internal magazines does not mean the clips were the magazines.

Kinda like "Harvest" instead of KILL...SHOOT.. Hack into pieces... Run Over... etc etc hehehehe.

I am a moderator on a travel-food site...and there are a number of folks there who spend all day bitching about what is a "Chain-Restaurant" (evil) vs what is a Mom & Pop restaurant (good) or badmouthing fast-food chains, but screaming support for the newly developing Yuppie Taco Truck Fad !!??? Semantics are one way for folks to look down their noses at others.

:deadhorse:

Edited by Mayor Al
  • Like 1

I've never understood why guys get so worked up about this. Why be a Nomenclature Nazi?

Also it cracks me up every time someone corrects "silencer" to "suppressor".

It's just important to make sure we don't allow our vernacular to interfere with technical nomenclature lest any integral component be confused with that most deadly firearm sub-assembly: a shoulder thing that goes up.