Damn Saiga 12

I know that I over paid for my gun. Got it just after the panic struck in.

Took my stock gun to the local target range. Was feeling ho hum about the stock gun and mad at myself for buying it when I wanted to put the money towards ammo for some of my other toys.

Had 3 boxes of Walmart special, low brass (actually aluminum). Loaded up the first magazine and had a failure to extract on the last round. Great. This happened for the next two mags.

Fourth mag and all of a sudden, she found her mark. Ran flawless. Started to burn through the magazines as fast as I could load the magazines. Damn, I thought to myself, all the ammo I brought is gone. It was that point that the love began. Left the range with a grin plastered on my face.

Now I have to save for the conversion. Do you guys recommend screws for trigger guard or riveting? Also, I was checking out one of the guys guns that was converted by Red Jacket. Will used rivets to put in the holes at the base of the receiver. Looked great. Do you guys know what the appropriate size rivets are needed?

Edited by Streaker

The screws your talking about screw into the guard itself from inside the receiver. I personally liked the ease of the screws with the tromix kit. As for plugging the holes in the receiver, you can use hole plugs instead of rivets, which look pretty good too. They come with many kits....

I used a conversion kit from Mississippi Auto Arms that included the furniture, firecontrol group, triggerguard with integral pistol group nut, and the associated hardware. When securing the triggerguard with the supplied screws, I used loctite on the screws. I don't remember whether it was recommended, but I would have used it anyway. On the whole, it turned out well, I think.

I appreciate the updates and am looking forward to getting the gun setup and doing the job myself. Don't have a welder though. I cannot believe just how much fun she is.

The reason for the questions about the trigger guard is that I was wondering how much of a pounding the screw in's kits were able to take. Going with a fixed stock for now. NATO (Sorry for that) or the Warsaw length, what do you guys think?

their awesome guns when they work right. i think id probably sell every gun in my collection, before i sold my saiga 12.

I agree, and it takes a bit of love to get them to function flawlessly, but damn, I've never shot it and NOT had a smile on my face.

I wouldn't recommend it for home defense though, because you'd shoot the guy and then call the police (or call the police and then shoot the guy) and when the police got there you'd still be smiling and admiring your gun. That would kinda look bad in court... :lolol:

• Like 1

their awesome guns when they work right. i think id probably sell every gun in my collection, before i sold my saiga 12.

I agree, and it takes a bit of love to get them to function flawlessly, but damn, I've never shot it and NOT had a smile on my face.

I wouldn't recommend it for home defense though, because you'd shoot the guy and then call the police (or call the police and then shoot the guy) and when the police got there you'd still be smiling and admiring your gun. That would kinda look bad in court... :lolol:

This video concerned me for using a shotgun for home defense.

I've heard people say "use 00 buck for HD, you wanna really make sure you stop the guy", but after seeing this going through all those walls scares me. Maybe my AR with the "frangible" ammo is the way to go? I just wanna stop the guy, not take out people down the street...

I like the rivets myself and use them every time I do one.

What size and where do you get them?

Auto parts store, buy a selection. I use the steel ones and not the aluminum. Maybe 3/16".? The one that fits, take a measurement. I then knock the nail part out of the rivet and put an even smaller rivet in the hole of the first rivet.

You can even go old school with a punch and a piece of iron bar and tighten/flatten the rivets. It isn't going anywhere and you have the option later to drill them out and go with something different.

I've heard people say "use 00 buck for HD, you wanna really make sure you stop the guy", but after seeing this going through all those walls scares me. Maybe my AR with the "frangible" ammo is the way to go? I just wanna stop the guy, not take out people down the street...

Keep in mind, not many rooms are only 2 feet wide between walls. Maybe a hallway but that's about it.

I think it does make a difference. I don't think it would have the same effect if the 3 walls were 12 feet apart. Also, most adjoining walls for separate dwellings are double insulated, 2 separate walls with approx. 1"- 2" thick drywall in the center. It seems if this test were true results in the real geography of a house, I could stand at the front of a house and my pellets would exit the back of the house....unlikely.

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 1

Keep in mind, not many rooms are only 2 feet wide between walls. Maybe a hallway but that's about it.

I think it does make a difference. I don't think it would have the same effect if the 3 walls were 12 feet apart. Also, most adjoining walls for separate dwellings are double insulated, 2 separate walls with approx. 1"- 2" thick drywall in the center. It seems if this test were true results in the real geography of a house, I could stand at the front of a house and my pellets would exit the back of the house....unlikely.

Well that, and, unless I'm firing steel core from my 7.62x39, nothing I own will go through the brick on the outside of my house... I will CONTINUE to use 0 Buck for HD, because well, I have a shit-ton of it, and I want to put the guy DOWN for good. I'm also betting that a HUMAN body slows down 0 Buck to the point that it's less-than-lethal shortly afterward...

Edited by Caged