Need a Saiga shooting range in DFW

Hi,

I am new here. Just got my brand new Saiga-12 last week. Installed low brass reliability kit and going to try some bulk pack ammo from Walmart. However, the nearest gun range Elm fork does not allow "riot" shotguns and shotguns with barrel length less than 21''. I only can shoot slugs on rifle/pistol range.

Question to people from Dallas - Fort Worth. Where do you shoot your Saiga?

post-31370-0-31338600-1297907499_thumb.jpg

I shoot at the Garland public shooting range. I have never seen a Saiga Shotgun there, but I have seen other tactical shotguns. They will not let you shoot shotguns at thier targets.You have to setup cardboard boxes to put your targets on. They usually have some boxes you can use, but to be safe I would bring some of my own. I shoot my Saiga 7.62x39 here. They do not allow fmj ammo. so if you want to shoot your rifle bring some hollow or soft points.

• Like 1

I've just come back from Elm Fork public shooting range. Saiga is not allowed on the shotgun range but they let me splash some dirt at the rifle range. I used a several types of ammunition with newly installed low brass reliability kit from Carolina Shooters Supply.

Here are the results:

(I bought almost all ammo from Walmart)

Federal Bulk Pack 2 3/4'', 1200 fps 3 DRAM, 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot = cycles well on setting #2

Winchester Super Target 2 3/4'', 1180 fps 2 3/4 DRAM, 1 oz 9 lead shot = cycles on #3, but with FTE every 3 or 4 rounds. I guess after the gun brakes in it will cycle ok.

Winchester AA Super Handicap 2 3/4'', 1250 fps, 1 1/8 ox 71/2 shot = cycles well on #2

Remington Premier Nitro Sporting Clays 2 3/4'', 1300 fps, 1 1/8 oz 8 shot. = setting #+1 - Good one

-------------- Slugs -------------------------------------

Wolf (from midwayusa.com), 2 3/4'', No info on fps, 1oz - setting #2 - really weak one.

Remington Slugger, 2 3/4'', 1560 fps, 1 oz - setting #-1

Federal Power Shock, 2 3/4'', 1610 fps, 1 oz - setting #-1 - Devastating recoil though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion: It seems settings can be aligned with FPS

----------------------------------------------------------------

Less than 1200 | #3

1200 but less than 1300 | #2

1300 - 1450 | #+1

1500 + | #-1

---------------------------------------------------------------

Razr, you might try Alpine Shooting Range in FTW (actually, its Kennedale). Its outdoor, and I've shot my 7.62 there on the 50 yd range. They also allow shotguns on that same range, but I've never seen any S-12's there. Call in advance and ask if your gun is o.k. there.

Also, Great Soutwest Gun is a new indoor range in Grand Prairie that opened around 1 January. I've shot my Win 1300 there, but they charge an additional $5 fee when shotties are used (birdshot and target loads only. No buck or slugs), due to increased mess. Nice place, friendly service. Worth a look. Both ranges have websites too.

Good luck.

I shoot at the Garland public shooting range.

I used to shoot there when I lived in Mesquite. If you need a shooting buddy some time, PM me. Its a bit of a drive from Arlington, but I've always liked that place.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

If you can pony up $300 (I think - call his shop for an exact figure), Mickey of Ammo Depot in Caddo Mills has a lease near Belt Line and 175 that has the least amount of 'range nazi' rules I've ever seen. A lot of the Class III folks go there because of it, and you get a key to the lease for one year.

It's not a 'range' in the classic sense of the word.

Razr, you might try Alpine Shooting Range in FTW (actually, its Kennedale). Its outdoor, and I've shot my 7.62 there on the 50 yd range. They also allow shotguns on that same range, but I've never seen any S-12's there. Call in advance and ask if your gun is o.k. there.

Also, Great Soutwest Gun is a new indoor range in Grand Prairie that opened around 1 January. I've shot my Win 1300 there, but they charge an additional $5 fee when shotties are used (birdshot and target loads only. No buck or slugs), due to increased mess. Nice place, friendly service. Worth a look. Both ranges have websites too.

Good luck.

I shoot at the Garland public shooting range.

I used to shoot there when I lived in Mesquite. If you need a shooting buddy some time, PM me. Its a bit of a drive from Arlington, but I've always liked that place.

Thanks, Kevin. I'll keep in mind.

Those are some fail ranges. No FMJ, no semi auto shotguns...what is this world coming to?

Is there an empty land, forest or whatever around DFW where people can shoot safely? I'm jealous about those videos on Youtube with people shooting in desert or in woods.