I saw a tool on aktools .com called a rivet jaw. Does anyone know if this tool can be used to install rivets in the trigger holes of the Saiga-12, rather than welding them and going through all that F%#CKING BULLSHIT filing and grinding?:ded:

Edited by macaholic

Personaly I'd go the welding way. Brass or copper backing block and weld/ grind. But yes you can use Rivets with the Bolt cutter rivet jaws. Make sure if you do, get the 24" model with the deep reach for the Yugo underfold rivets. Those will have the reach to get to the bottom of the receiver for those holes.

Out of fear that the ATF/Government could in some way outlaw changes to the Saiga's imported form, I've decided that on both my S12 & Sx39, that I'd not permanently alter the receiver.

Thus plastic plugs were the order of the day.

When the People fear the Government, We have Tyranny.

When the Government fears the People, We have Freedom.

• 3 weeks later...

I srtipped the gun down after last weeks subgun/shotgun match, and took it to a cetified welder to have the four side holes TIG welded. After some hours of the ussual fileing and grinding the welds are perfect. now I have to respray the reciever. I will use flat black laquer from Ace hardware a second time now. I can't believe how good this finish matches the trunion and barrel. It's damned near perfect. You can see the gun on a video at my Florida subgun match thread.:super:

Edited by macaholic

I used binder screws (or Chicago screws) to fill in the holes and painted them black.

I plan to use rivets on the side holes of my other Saiga-12 when it ever gets back to me from CGW. It's been four months now and I'm begining to get a little worried. I sent it in to get the barrel cut to 16" and the reciever engraved as me for the manufacture on the Form 1. I hope everything is okay. Anyway, I don't plan to go through the same pain in the ass fileing and grinding like my first Saiga-12, but I do plan to MIG weld the two holes on the bottom of the reciever. They are easier to fill completely because I have access from the inside as well as the outside of the reciever. I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist because I drive myself crazy with little issues. I just got my girlfriend a new Sony video/camera last night, and I've already posted some pix on Balashnikov.com, so I'll be posting some pix of my Saiga-12's in the vey near future. By the way, The JPFO is the finest gun rights group in the country. I was very sad to hear that Aron Zelman died recently. I got to speak with him on the phone years ago when they first started as an organization, and I still have the SWAT magazine with the artical on him anouncing the JPFO. He was a very interesting man with much insight and will be greatly missed. God Bless him!

Edited by macaholic

The only way you are going to get real rivets to work like that in that location is if you make some steel sleeves or drilled crossbars to hold the inside of the receiver from collapsing, and use a full through rivet like you see in front of the hammer. I don't think the bolt cutter type rivet crushers are going to reach that far.

I could be mistaken though.....:rolleyes:

I used binder screws (or Chicago screws) to fill in the holes and painted them black.

I plan to use rivets on the side holes of my other Saiga-12 when it ever gets back to me from CGW. It's been four months now and I'm begining to get a little worried. I sent it in to get the barrel cut to 16" and the reciever engraved as me for the manufacture on the Form 1. I hope everything is okay. Anyway, I don't plan to go through the same pain in the ass fileing and grinding like my first Saiga-12, but I do plan to MIG weld the two holes on the bottom of the reciever. They are easier to fill completely because I have access from the inside as well as the outside of the reciever. I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist because I drive myself crazy with little issues. I just got my girlfriend a new Sony video/camera last night, and I've already posted some pix on Balashnikov.com, so I'll be posting some pix of my Saiga-12's in the vey near future. By the way, The JPFO is the finest gun rights group in the country. I was very sad to hear that Aron Zelman died recently. I got to speak with him on the phone years ago when they first started as an organization, and I still have the SWAT magazine with the artical on him anouncing the JPFO. He was a very interesting man with much insight and will be greatly missed. God Bless him!

+1 on JPFO