Pistol grip (grip)

Hey there fellow members. Just wanted to see the various ways that you have created after market positive "grip" on your pistol grips. I know some of you guys have used the soldering gun and melted the Molot grips and what not. I dig it. I was personally going to use l_083044004_1.jpg and spray the shit out of my grip and then paint over it so it didn't have a gloss finish (as it does when it dries). I have been doing some serious researching on grip tape used on skateboards, I guess 3m makes some made for steps and porches...W.E. I have seen some google images and tube videos of guys who cut it to size and shape on their grips and even on the slides of some of their pistols. Just wanna see yours. Thanks.

Shit, give it a shot and let us know how it works! No pun intended. :rolleyes:

I have great results with skateboard tape on Glocks. Meaning to try it on an AK and S-12 that both have a SAW grip. I have also used bicycle innertube on VFGs mainly to help stabilize and contain tape switches and wiring for lights and IR lasers on military weapons with good success. Maybe not as grippy as skate-tape or what you are looking at but still better than a plastic VFG.

Shit, give it a shot and let us know how it works! No pun intended. :rolleyes:

I have great results with skateboard tape on Glocks. Meaning to try it on an AK and S-12 that both have a SAW grip. I have also used bicycle innertube on VFGs mainly to help stabilize and contain tape switches and wiring for lights and IR lasers on military weapons with good success. Maybe not as grippy as skate-tape or what you are looking at but still better than a plastic VFG.

Yeah I actually got a VFG on 1 of my 2 S12's and seriously thought about puttin some professionally cut strips of grip tape on it..after reconsidering the Brownells like I mentioned b4. Once I do it, i'll post pics. I ALSO have a SAW grip on of my 12's and a CAA AK grip on the other one. I thought about cutting some and putting it in each of the rounded finger grooves on the CAA. I'll prob. have pics up 2moro.

Unless you are really in love with a certain style of grip, you should just get a Hogue. They are hard to beat for positive grip. CSS also sells a very good rubbery VFG. Together they give the gun a whole new feel, and it's good.

P1030667.jpg

Are you planning on doing anything to increase the roughness for better grip to this or are you keeping it nice and smoothed?

I'm wanting to see more of people's personal modifications to their pistol grips/VFG/VG..w.e. Even if it's on a pistol or something besides an S12.

[

Are you planning on doing anything to increase the roughness for better grip to this or are you keeping it nice and smoothed?

I'm wanting to see more of people's personal modifications to their pistol grips/VFG/VG..w.e. Even if it's on a pistol or something besides an S12.

I eventually may experiment with checkering (on scrap of course while learning), but I really don't have a problem holding it the way it is. I've done quite a bit of carving in the past so checkering is just a matter of acquiring the specific tools and techniques.

[

I eventually may experiment with checkering (on scrap of course while learning), but I really don't have a problem holding it the way it is. I've done quite a bit of carving in the past so checkering is just a matter of acquiring the specific tools and techniques.

I don't really know shit about that. How exactly is it done? I am definitely interested in having the acquired knowledge in case i may ever want to do so.

[

I don't really know shit about that. How exactly is it done? I am definitely interested in having the acquired knowledge in case i may ever want to do so.

There are some videos on midway that explain it better than I ever could. Of course they make it look so easy.

MrOneEyedBoh, that looks good! Now I'm curious about stippling wood. Hmmm

stippling plastic is way easier and I think different than wood. Basically you just melt it with a soldering iron. But I grinded down my tip to a sharp point

That's pretty badass there oneeye. Here's what I accomplished today...

post-19378-0-37645800-1298259476_thumb.jpg

post-19378-0-12328100-1298259504_thumb.jpg

post-19378-0-94009400-1298259533_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the shit pictures. Took very clear pics with my camera...but photobucket isnt working for some reason...

post-19378-0-22340700-1298259708_thumb.jpg

post-19378-0-61945500-1298259730_thumb.jpg

post-19378-0-58472500-1298259760_thumb.jpg

Went to a skateboard shop and got me a sheet of actual skateboard grip tape. This shit is as grippy as grippy gets w.o. tearing up your hands. I love it. As you can see, put it all over my VFG and pistol grip. May not look THAT nice on the VFG, but it sure works like a CHAMP :super: in getting super positive grip to pull the gun rearward

Edited by JJ the GUN MAN

The tape has a nice surface, but with gripping and heat and use it will eventually slide, ooze out adhesive and get sticky and weird.

Since most of the grips are plastic, they lend themselves nicely to being stippled using some kind of heat process.

The people who do this kind of thing are the guys who do the Glock grip reductions. If you search the internet for that you will see lots of examples. Most are pretty bad, like using truck bed liner spray and undercoater.

But melting the plastic using the right attachment to a soldering iron can be quite good.

This is a Glock 21 that Pete Carber did for me about 10 years ago:

post-1629-0-94701000-1298263662_thumb.jpg

post-1629-0-34401700-1298263627_thumb.jpg

The tape has a nice surface, but with gripping and heat and use it will eventually slide, ooze out adhesive and get sticky and weird.

Since most of the grips are plastic, they lend themselves nicely to being stippled using some kind of heat process.

The people who do this kind of thing are the guys who do the Glock grip reductions. If you search the internet for that you will see lots of examples. Most are pretty bad, like using truck bed liner spray and undercoater.

But melting the plastic using the right attachment to a soldering iron can be quite good.

This is a Glock 21 that Pete Carber did for me about 10 years ago:

post-1629-0-94701000-1298263662_thumb.jpg

post-1629-0-34401700-1298263627_thumb.jpg

Shit that looks good! Must have taken a LONG TIME!!!!!!

The skateboard tape is a good idea, I may have to try it.

I wrapped mine with Hockey tape, very good grip, and takes 30 seconds to put it on and comes off with no gooey residue.

and it's cheap :dollar:

I was told that the skateboard tape has little residue left behind. Like electrical tape. If you tape something up with electrical tape, it is specifically made to NOT leave residue behind. I haven't taken my new grip tape off due to that I JUST put it on yesterday, but I'm hoping I don't think I'll have much problem with that. On a sidenote....i'm going to get a soldering gun!!! :super: :super: :super:

Man that sho is purdy! would look really good on an unconverted saiga anything!

P1030667.jpg