Large Caliber recoil

I finally got a chance to shoot a .44 mag revolver, and honestly, im not impressed. dont get me wrong, its a fun round to shoot, but the recoil is comparable to my glock 30. not even near what i expected. my question is though, how does a .500 s&w mag compare to .44 mag recoil?

I finally got a chance to shoot a .44 mag revolver, and honestly, im not impressed. dont get me wrong, its a fun round to shoot, but the recoil is comparable to my glock 30. not even near what i expected. my question is though, how does a .500 s&w mag compare to .44 mag recoil?

Well, I can one hand my 44 mag pretty easy even with magnum rounds but it definitely has more kick than any .45 I've shot. Were you using magnum rounds or .44 special? Can't answer your question on the 500, I haven't had the pleasure yet but I do know some of them have a compensator.

Well, I can one hand my 44 mag pretty easy even with magnum rounds but it definitely has more kick than any .45 I've shot. Were you using magnum rounds or .44 special? Can't answer your question on the 500, I haven't had the pleasure yet but I do know some of them have a compensator.

yea, i was able to handle the recoil with one hand as well. as for the rounds, i actually still have some. they are blazer 44 mag 240 grain JHP fired through a ruger redhawk revolver. damn things cost me 40 dollars for 50 rounds too.

prices like that make me really appreciate value pack 9mm from walmart. but for some reason, firing more powerful rounds is more enjoyable. as for .500 s&w mag, i can rent a smith and wesson revolver chambered in that round at one of the local shooting ranges for free because my friend is a member there. only catch is i have to buy their ammo.

They make revolvers in .30 carbine and 45.70 now. Give one of those bad boys a try. I switch between a .44 and 1911.

heh, 45-70 sounds like a fun round to shoot out of a handgun. as for 30 carbine, ive heard the name before, but never really looked into it, although i did have the opportunity to hold a WW2 M1 carbine rifle. im gonna have to think about my options. its pretty much guaranteed that my next purchase will be some kind of large caliber revolver.

due to the recoil compensaters the 500 sw is actually pretty tame. my 50 ae desert eagle had more kick. the 500 sw is a beast of a handgun and very accurate, just wish components where cheaper.

yea, price is the only thing i dont like about these types of firearms, especially the price of ammo. even .223 gets to be expensive if you want to put a decent number of rounds down range. i would imagine 500 mag would be even more expensive. i have to admit though, 45-70 is pretty appealing, as it looks to be one of the most powerful rounds on the market. but the only revolver chambered in this round that i know of right now closely resembles an old western pistol. i prefer the look of something like an s&w 629

I have had the opportunity to shoot the 500 a lot. I love that gun. The one I shoot is the shortest version S&W make. It is completely tameable. The compensator really helps on those guns. I highly recommend them. Especially if u reload. Recoil is fun on that gun. Doesn't hurt , just fun. I think the rubber grip helps, so you don't get that snappy hurt in your hand.

Edit:

Just read what PSL wrote. +1 on what he said, I basically posted the same thing. Sorry.

Edited by redfish28

Having owned and fired a long-gun Universal .30 Carbine with the reaction of a 22, I wasn't surprised to fire an old Ruger single-action Blackhawk with the 30 Carbine cylindar in it. The revolver didn't have much kick at all...about the same as a 38 special.

We did a side by side shooting comparison with a Redhawk 44 mag and a single action 454 Casull the Casull's kick had a major increase in strength compared to the Ruger 44 mag. Not sure of what ammo was used in either gun, but it was in factory boxes not handload racks.

I was considering a 454 Casull lever long-gun for awhile, over choosing a 44 mag., but the numbers are pretty close at 100 yards and the price of ammo really makes a difference, so the choice for me is the 44 mag. (Henry Big Boy)

My Fiancée can shoot my Desert Eagle, most people can discharge them. The problem with recoil is that more people can not manage it to be able to hit their targets.

Remember, a hit with a .22 is way more important then any miss with a .44!

A Smith 500 with factory ammo is pretty damn weak. But try one loaded with 625gr bullets in front of 30.0 grains of H110. You probably will not get through a cylinder of those and if you do, you're going to have hand damage that you'll be feeling for the next several weeks.

Tony

SW500.jpg

A Smith 500 with factory ammo is pretty damn weak. But try one loaded with 625gr bullets in front of 30.0 grains of H110. You probably will not get through a cylinder of those and if you do, you're going to have hand damage that you'll be feeling for the next several weeks.

Tony

SW500.jpg

very true, my buddie was shooting his with some factory ammo. it was very mild. the handloads with the h110 definantly kick more.

yea, i was able to handle the recoil with one hand as well. as for the rounds, i actually still have some. they are blazer 44 mag 240 grain JHP fired through a ruger redhawk revolver. damn things cost me 40 dollars for 50 rounds too.

Those Blazer rounds are weak. They deliver about as much ft. lbf. of kinetic energy as a decent .357 mag load. They are a piece of cake out of a full-sized .44 mag revolver. Try shooting some full-powered .44 mag loads before passing your judgment. :) I've shot some +P+ bear defense rounds out of my rather compact Taurus Tracker. That stuff is nothing to laugh about!

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

My Fiancée can shoot my Desert Eagle, most people can discharge them. The problem with recoil is that more people can not manage it to be able to hit their targets.

Remember, a hit with a .22 is way more important then any miss with a .44!

very true. as it is though, im about as accurate with my glock 19 as i am with a .44 mag revolver, which i regret to say is not exactly up to par. im a great shot with a rifle, but i need more practice with handguns

• Like 1

Those Blazer rounds are weak. They deliver about as much ft. lbf. of kinetic energy as a decent .357 mag load. They are a piece of cake out of a full-sized .44 mag revolver. Try shooting some full-powered .44 mag loads before passing your judgment. :) I've shot some +P+ bear defense rounds out of my rather compact Taurus Tracker. That stuff is nothing to laugh about!

you know, i had a feeling these rounds were a little underpowered. next time il go to the range il bring some more powerful .44 mag rounds. maybe even go with +p rounds if i can find them just to get an accurate reference for recoil on these big bore handguns. i like the idea of high power handguns, but i really dont have much experience with them

Tony

SW500.jpg

very true, my buddie was shooting his with some factory ammo. it was very mild. the handloads with the h110 definantly kick more.

damn, thats crazy how much material is in that slug!! those are 500 mag rounds?

Having owned and fired a long-gun Universal .30 Carbine with the reaction of a 22, I wasn't surprised to fire an old Ruger single-action Blackhawk with the 30 Carbine cylindar in it. The revolver didn't have much kick at all...about the same as a 38 special.

We did a side by side shooting comparison with a Redhawk 44 mag and a single action 454 Casull the Casull's kick had a major increase in strength compared to the Ruger 44 mag. Not sure of what ammo was used in either gun, but it was in factory boxes not handload racks.

I was considering a 454 Casull lever long-gun for awhile, over choosing a 44 mag., but the numbers are pretty close at 100 yards and the price of ammo really makes a difference, so the choice for me is the 44 mag. (Henry Big Boy)

yea, price of ammo is a huge factor. and not only that, but also availability. if possible, id rather be able to buy value packs at walmart, or some other cheap source. i know there are cheap places to buy ammo on the internet, but id rather avoid putting credit card info on my computer.

I've got my heart set on the S&W 460 xvr some day. It shoots .460, .454 and .45lc. The .460 is the fastest commercial hand gun cartridge on the market, and the Hornady flex tip rounds are a bout $1/round.

post-19191-0-32603300-1298590909_thumb.jpg

Edited by K.T.

I got the Taurus Raging Bull in 454 and shoot 300 gr. hollow points, it kicks like a mule, but fun as hell, also have a lever action in 454. You can one hand the bull with 45 LC rounds but don't try it with the 454 round, the lever action is a pussy cat with the 45LC, and again, the 454 gives a good kick. Both are fun to shoot, but loud as hell and the pistol has one hell of a flash at night, the ports on the barrel shoot out 3 tiny jets of flames on each side that are cool as crap and them there is also the fireball out the barrel. It'll dig softball sized holes in the yard. :)

I've got my heart set on the S&W 460 xvr some day. It shoots .460, .454 and .45lc. The .460 is the fastest commercial hand gun cartridge on the market, and the Hornady flex tip rounds are a bout $1/round.

post-19191-0-32603300-1298590909_thumb.jpg

that revolver is really cool. i like the idea of being able to fire multiple types of rounds. i vaguely remember someone say that firearms which can handle a wide range of ammunition like that were not california legal though, which is frustrating. maybe i should just move to nevada so i can get that, and a mac 10. and take these stupid bullet buttons off my AR, AK and saiga 12

• Like 1