SSR-85c Conversion

akagunssr85c01rtd.jpg

Since the 7.62 Saiga drought, my hankering to convert an arbitrarily-defined-as-sporterized AK has overwhelmed me. I decided to get a Bulgarian SSR-85c from Centerfire Systems. Out of the box, the rifle looked good. It has a 1.6mm receiver, heavy contour and chrome-lined barrel, beautiful Bakelite handguards, and a handsome but ultimately undesirable thumbhole stock. The only thing I didn't like was the smell, which made me think someone at the factory had decided to soak his old sneakers in the metal preservative. After detail stripping the beast I set about cutting loose the muzzle nut, which may have taken all of two minutes with a rotary tool and cutoff wheel.

Then I set about the harder stuff:

• Like 1

Nice Video!

I too had no idea that these rifles had the rear trunnion plate. I am anxious to see if it is thick enought to keep the butt stock assembly tightly mounted to the receiver. If so, this is a nice detail for those that want a folder or statci stock like you have used.

Looks great. Is that the factory wood on it? It looks really good.

(Not sure what you plan on doing with the factory Bulgarian stock, but those things are very sought after in NY for those who want to convert their S12's, since pistol grips are no-go on S12's in NY. I'm sure you'd find a buyer real quick if you wanted to get rid of it.)

I got about 5" groups at 100 yards with Wolf off sandbags. I get the feeling it could do a bit better with a more precise sighting arrangement. Sadly, without a side rail or a tang to attach my Beryl rail to, that will have to wait.

The handguard is polymer, Bakelite I believe. Looks pretty good.

SSR85chandguard.jpg

Good info on the stock. Thanks!

Edited by DrThunder88
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...