Incindiary shotshells?

Anyone ever play with such a thing? I saw the youtube vid for "FRAG 12" exploding 12 gauge ammo, it is a cool idea but doesn't really seem to do anymore damage than a slug would? FRAG 12 on Youtube

My understanding is that exploding ammunition containing less than 1/4 oz of explosive compound is not restricted on a federal level any differently than other cartridges ( of course some states don't like "Raufoss" type ammo ) so I am curious about loading some fun stuff on a hobby level.

My two ideas are; Something like a slug with the nose hollowed out and filled with something that would detonate on impact. Kind of like the FRAG 12

and "baby grenade": something fired at low enough pressure to avoid needing hearing protection that you could "lob" like a grenade launcher and wait for a report. Would be fun to setup some old appliances and steel drums and lob a timed salute into them. Would be cool to dress up a single shot to look like an M79 launcher.

For initial testing I plan on a single shot viced to a steel desk with a pull cord on the trigger.

I don't know what kind of materials you would use for the "charge" though? Needs to be stable for storage and handling but should still have cool effects. I would rather keep it to things that do not require an explosives permit.

Does anything like this already exist commercially?

I ran this idea by the folks at TheHighRoad but their only good advice was safety related.

Look forward to comments and suggestions!

Edited by KillerLuke
  • 3 weeks later...

MT Predator

check HERE 14.5 mm M183 PD spotter slugs , loaded in 20 and 12 Ga. shells they are legal in FL because they do Not fragment and are there fore are not covered by FL statute 790.22 everything comes out the back of the 1100 Gr. slug, but you must use a rifled barrel Loud as Heck ,bright flash and dense smoke ball 3' in dia. , i use them loaded in a 3" 20 Ga. shell fired from an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter and they will group 4" at 100 yards ,would definitely drop a dear or hog but i use them as a wildlife scare fired into the ground or a palm tree , works very well

i lucked out years ago and got the slugs for 25 cents a piece in bulk

• 7 months later...

You'll need a license to manufacture Destructive Devices if you intend to make 12ga. explosive rounds. This is because the projectile is more than .50" diameter (.73"). The cost in '01 was $3000 for the first year and $1000 per year thereafter. I didn't pursue this kind of thing for this reason.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been years, but somewhere I saw 12ga slugs that were hollow. They were for 'loading your own', put black powder in the cavity, and press a.22blank into the nose. I don't know about the legality of it, but it did look like FUN!