Saiga7.62x39 factory mag option?

Eh save up to do a proper conversion so your total foreign parts on the rifle when no mag is inserted is 7.

Forget that tapco t6 bastardized setup. Might as well leave the monte carlo stock.

Tapco furniture tends to be crap anyway. "Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."

Convert it. Then you can use whatever mags you want.

You can use the 10 round mag, you just won't be in compliance. Convert Restore fully and don't waste money on the crapo T6 mess.

GOD ALMIGHTY GUYS, HOW MUCH MONEY IS A PERSON SUPPOSED TO HAVE? We cant all build a perfect setup on the first try. Maybe after Ive shot it unconverted for a year Ill gradually start replacing parts and trying to stay legal. Im tryin to get used to the factory config, and then make it awesome, and Ill truely appreciate what Ive got. I dont have the money to do much else. Diapers, food, rent,gas, come way before AK

The questions Im asking are basic for you 'high up' ak shooters, maybe someday I can aspire to your greatness. Im not tryin to say your knowledge isnt appreciated, it has helped me alot. This is the 5th time in 2 days of being a member, asking a question about the config I can afford right now to be told: DO THE CONVERSION!! Its getting a little old.

spikester thanks, 1911 thanks, but Savery, keep it to your self, easy questions=easy answers. Ive researched this for months before buying, Im getting something to figure out THEN modify. Mall ninja as I may be.

Edited by Boomsick42
  • Like 1

Eh save up to do a proper conversion so your total foreign parts on the rifle when no mag is inserted is 7.

Forget that tapco t6 bastardized setup. Might as well leave the monte carlo stock.

Tapco furniture tends to be crap anyway. "Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."

Convert it. Then you can use whatever mags you want.

Lets all take a dump in a box and see whos smells better.

• Like 1

You can use the 10 round mag, you just won't be in compliance. Convert Restore fully and don't waste money on the crapo T6 mess.

A mess to you may be a good starter ak for me.

I understand where you are coming from with the limited budget. The t6 with the built in pistol grip is 60 bucks though, so my advice (which is worth what you paid for it) would be to leave your Saiga stock for the moment. As funds allow pick up a tapco g2 single hook trigger, and a tapco Ak stock. (I prefer the original fixed stock). Thats about 60 bucks there, then save up for a pistol grip, and the nut an screw to attach it and a retainer plate. This will only cost a little bit more money, and with some sweat you will have much better results. The g2 trigger alone is a huge improvement on the rifle and its not hard or expensive at all.

Bottom line though the choice is yours, enjoy your rifle any way see fit.

GOD ALMIGHTY GUYS, HOW MUCH MONEY IS A PERSON SUPPOSED TO HAVE? We cant all build a perfect setup on the first try. Maybe after Ive shot it unconverted for a year Ill gradually start replacing parts and trying to stay legal. Im tryin to get used to the factory config, and then make it awesome, and Ill truely appreciate what Ive got. I dont have the money to do much else. Diapers, food, rent,gas, come way before AK

The questions Im asking are basic for you 'high up' ak shooters, maybe someday I can aspire to your greatness. Im not tryin to say your knowledge isnt appreciated, it has helped me alot. This is the 5th time in 2 days of being a member, asking a question about the config I can afford right now to be told: DO THE CONVERSION!! Its getting a little old.

spikester thanks, 1911 thanks, but Savery, keep it to your self, easy questions=easy answers. Ive researched this for months before buying, Im getting something to figure out THEN modify. Mall ninja as I may be.

My gun budget is pretty tight to, but for only about 15 bucks more you can get the stuff to do a basic conversion. Honestly, spending 85 now to do the conversion saves you 70 later vs. spending 70 now for the T6 stock and then spending 85 later.

When I first converted mine, I reused the T-6 buttstock. I just had to buy the G2, pistol grip nut and screw, and a new pistol grip. You'll probably acquire extra parts along the way. I know I have :D

Edited by stnls1911

My gun budget is pretty tight to, but for only about 15 bucks more you can get the stuff to do a basic conversion. Honestly, spending 85 now to do the conversion saves you 70 later vs. spending 70 now for the T6 stock and then spending 85 later.

Bingo...

Even if the difference was $50 for the T6 setup and $100 for the full conversion it's still worth it.

If you can't wait a few weeks to save up the extra $50 then maybe you shouldn't be spending it at all.

Theres nothing wrong with the stock rifle. There are shitty aspects. But nothing broken.

Boomsick, if you haven't caught on already we are trying to tell you that T6 setup is no improvement over the stock rifle. So that is a waste of money. Which it sounds like you want to conserve.

But hey it's a free country spend your money on whatever you want. I'm sure everyone else made the same assumption I did which was people come to forums for advice.

While your question was about converting the mag a couple of member's saw something quarky in your setup and tried to help you out. But hey, it's your money.

Bingo...

Even if the difference was $50 for the T6 setup and $100 for the full conversion it's still worth it.

If you can't wait a few weeks to save up the extra $50 then maybe you shouldn't be spending it at all.

Theres nothing wrong with the stock rifle. There are shitty aspects. But nothing broken.

Boomsick, if you haven't caught on already we are trying to tell you that T6 setup is no improvement over the stock rifle. So that is a waste of money. Which it sounds like you want to conserve.

But hey it's a free country spend your money on whatever you want. I'm sure everyone else made the same assumption I did which was people come to forums for advice.

While your question was about converting the mag a couple of member's saw something quarky in your setup and tried to help you out. But hey, it's your money.

Maybe a mistake, I have already ordered the stock and Im going to roll with it for a while. I ordered the gun, stock, ammo, sight tool and buffer all at once, within a couple days. Tax returns are wonderful things. Ill see how I like the factory set up and maybe send the stock back to dpharms for some conversion stuff. It all depends, If I prefer it with the t6 on it I'll use it for a while. If the trigger is completely unacceptable then Ill change it. But as far as the stock is concerned, Ive heard of tapcos no questions asked replacement policy, Ill recoup some money if need be. I will need do really figure out the workings of this gun before I start drilling pins and installing FCG's

...I ordered the gun, ... and buffer all at once...

Hate to nit-pick(can't you tell? :) ) but I'm assuming you mean a recoil buffer? Few threads on those here.

Heres one:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=19378&st=0&p=165838

& a better one from the gunco forums:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f3/ak-recoil-buffer-needed-not-40037/

In sort recoil buffers in AKs have more potential for bad than good. The AKM recoil assembly is designed to allow the bolt carrier to travel all the way to the rear trunnion. Putting something in between the carrier and the trunnion that prevents this is generally a bad idea.

Maybe you meant some other kind of buffer though?

This is the 5th time in 2 days of being a member, asking a question about the config I can afford right now to be told: DO THE CONVERSION!! Its getting a little old.

Then don't do the conversion. It's your rifle... do what you want with it. But you have to realize there are a number of members who came here before you asking the same questions. Many of the same 'high up' ak shooters, as you refer to them, once stood where you now stand. They're offering their advice. One thing you probably can't afford is to replace the Saiga Monte Carlo stock with the Tapco T6. Do that and you will no longer be 922r compliant. You can spend serious time in jail, if caught. But it still is your rifle, so...

Can you not afford to just buy a few US made magazines? They arent that expensive. If you cant afford a mag, then I doubt you can afford ammo and you wont have any problems with compliance. :lolol:

To answer the question. I dont know of anywhere you can purchase US floor plates for the factory mags. Your best bet would be to make one, or buy a us made mag.

• Like 1

This is the 5th time in 2 days of being a member, asking a question about the config I can afford right now to be told: DO THE CONVERSION!! Its getting a little old.

Then don't do the conversion. It's your rifle... do what you want with it. But you have to realize there are a number of members who came here before you asking the same questions. Many of the same 'high up' ak shooters, as you refer to them, once stood where you now stand. They're offering their advice. One thing you probably can't afford is to replace the Saiga Monte Carlo stock with the Tapco T6. Do that and you will no longer be 922r compliant. You can spend serious time in jail, if caught. But it still is your rifle, so...

sir I have done ample research, A tapco t6 stock for the stock saiga rifle, the one with the attatched pistol grip, when used with a us made mag is compliant. Thats five parts on a 14 part rifle = 9 non us made parts. You may treat me like a novice, but dont say Im a moron.

Can you not afford to just buy a few US made magazines? They arent that expensive. If you cant afford a mag, then I doubt you can afford ammo and you wont have any problems with compliance. :lolol:

To answer the question. I dont know of anywhere you can purchase US floor plates for the factory mags. Your best bet would be to make one, or buy a us made mag.

I found them on www.ak47s.com Your funny They are expensive Ammo as cheap as 9mm's Ill survive.

Edited by Boomsick42

Hate to nit-pick(can't you tell? :) ) but I'm assuming you mean a recoil buffer? Few threads on those here.

Heres one:

http://forum.saiga-1...8&st=0&p=165838

http://www.gunco.net...eded-not-40037/

In sort recoil buffers in AKs have more potential for bad than good. The AKM recoil assembly is designed to allow the bolt carrier to travel all the way to the rear trunnion. Putting something in between the carrier and the trunnion that prevents this is generally a bad idea.

Good show. Yea, to be honest, A fool may have been seperated from his money. Ive never shot an ak, Im waiting for mine to hit my ffl on friday or satrurday. Its all paid for, well except for his fee. I have not the slightest clue about ak recoil. I got to reduce wear and tear on my gun. If it makes my gun unreliable, ill cut in half.

The floorplates are meant to fit bakelite and polymer mags. Thats what they say and I think the follower is tapco. A guy there just emailed me and said theyre in stock. His email is: DaveBrunotteinfo@ak-47s.com

Im awaiting an email on who makes them.

Edited by Boomsick42

A note to my fellow board members who are AK "elitists"

While I have restored a few Saigas (MY CURRENT IS A K-VAR PLUM AK103 WITH 24MM FSB), my first was a .223 that I used the T-6 with grip on. It worked excellent with Surefire Magazines. Many folks on this forum are guilty of "Saiga-real-AK-looking-snob-itus." Many people, however, do not feel inclined to go through the expense and effort to restore it. That is OK. If you have owned a pistol grip AK, it will not balance the same. If you never have fired a pistol grip AK, however, you may not notice any difference. In fact, I personally think the stock saiga with sporter stock has a nice feel to it, too.

Lighten up gods of the AK, it is OK for people to use a T6! They are not fighting Cuban paratrooper or zombie hoards. Cut them some slack.....

• Like 5

While I have restored a few Saigas (MY CURRENT IS A K-VAR PLUM AK103 WITH 24MM FSB), my first was a .223 that I used the T-6 with grip on. It worked excellent with Surefire Magazines. Many folks on this forum are guilty of "Saiga-real-AK-looking-snob-itus." Many people, however, do not feel inclined to go through the expense and effort to restore it. That is OK. If you have owned a pistol grip AK, it will not balance the same. If you never have fired a pistol grip AK, however, you may not notice any difference. In fact, I personally think the stock saiga with sporter stock has a nice feel to it, too.

Lighten up gods of the AK, it is OK for people to use a T6! They are not fighting Cuban paratrooper or zombie hoards. Cut them some slack.....

+1

I agree! While I like this forum and have learned some good info here. I've also seen the attitude on alot of post that if your gun is not converted you are not worthy. Did we all by a piece of shit and spend a few bucks moving some parts around to then have a supreme rifle (real russian ak). I don't think so. My saiga 7.62 came right out of the box with as good a trigger as any "real ak" that I have fired and I have fired several. You can also modify a saiga to have enough u.s. parts to use high cap mags without doing a full conversion. And if the shtf I'll bet they will perform as well as the "real russian ak". A converted rifle can use cheaper mags and will probably feel a little more balanced those are the only real advantages I've seen. If your gun is converted and you like it great! If its not converted and modified the way you like that's great too. Just make sure your parts count is right if using high cap mags. To each his own! Us gun guys need to stick together and if someone elses gun is not the way you like it let it be. You don't have to shoot it.

I am also one of the "non-converters".

My x39 came with the skeleton stock and I love it.

The other day, I rented an AK at the range just to see how much more I would like a full AK.

Frankly, I couldn't tell a difference in the trigger nor did it feel more balanced.

I am also concerned about ruining a gun that I enjoy so much. I would hate to bugger up the receiver. I have read horror stories of things getting bent and your warranty then being voided.

I just can't find a reason to make me risk what I have.

Just my .02, not to say I would never do a conversion but I think there is a lot to be said for the unconverted Saiga.

+1 for not converting. If I wanted the classic AK look I would have just bought the WASR. And I don't see the conversion as a "restoration" if you're putting USA parts in it.....I'll take my vodka without Zima thanks :haha:

Heres one:

http://forum.saiga-1...8&st=0&p=165838

http://www.gunco.net...eded-not-40037/

Good show. Yea, to be honest, A fool may have been seperated from his money. Ive never shot an ak, Im waiting for mine to hit my ffl on friday or satrurday. Its all paid for, well except for his fee. I have not the slightest clue about ak recoil. I got to reduce wear and tear on my gun. If it makes my gun unreliable, ill cut in half.

When I first shot my rifle, no buffer in, I could tell that my action was hitting the back of the reciever. No big deal, I shot the rest of my 60 rds, it was dark and I went inside. The next morning I put the buffer in, shot 80 rds, and it was smooooth.:blues: No slap to speak of. DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ, EVEN HERE, find out for your self. You may be happy you did.