Here's a link to an article about a Blade Runner sequel/prequel:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/8359857/Blade-Runner-sequel-planned-30-years-on.html

I'm very skeptical as almost all if not most remakes of late have been pathetic, unimaginative scams to try to make money. Don't get me started about how they screwed up The Green Hornet. My favorite film is Terry Gilliam's (of Monty Python fame) "Brazil" (I wonder if many of you have seen this.); probably because I am a frustrated cinematographer and misspent much of my youth reading "Heavy Metal" magazine and other graphic material of a similar genre. What are your thoughts?

-rastamanila009.gifunsure.gif018.gif

• Like 2

You have my attention. The original was one of my faves as well. Casting actors equal to or greater than Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, and Sean Young will be a tough task. Some remakes have been watchable lately: Dawn of the Dead, Hills have eyes, My bloody valentine, etc were all very good.

I grew up on Dungeons and Dragons, cartoons, and heavy metal, so sci-fi is right up my ally!

Blade Runner was based on the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by one of my favorite SF authors, Philip K. Dick. I am not sure how much more material there is there, but I guess that if they stick to that is a guide. I would just hate to see it take the road of Highlander, in which the sequels looked have been made by people that had seen no more of the original movie then the poster...

Brazil is also one of my favorite movies! For something equally odd, but set in a different period, kinda, try Naked Lunch!

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 1

Oddly enough, I have a picture of Brion James and I standing together. He is the actor that played Leon Kowalski. Nice fellow in real life, but in the movies he ususally played the bad guy.

The problem is that Blade Runner had a very tortured route to the screen,

and almost made it in a much shittier version.

Dick said his views of the first few scripts was something like:

"It was a dirty town, it was a dirty job. Someone had to do that job,

and that someone was me. I'm Rick Deckard."

That would have sucked balls.

I'd like to try writing some myself, and I might in a couple years once my time

opens up a bit, but I would be really reluctant to sell any movie rights.

I mean, did anyone see the movie Starship Troopers and read the book? Ho-ly fuck.

Dizzy Flores was a man who died in the first scene in the book...in the movie, she

was a hot redhead who went topless twice.....NOT THAT THERE'S A PROBLEM THERE, or

anything, but Heinlein had a MESSAGE to be taught and it got lost.

Or, take, I Am Legend. The best sci-fi is when the book makes you realize something

and you go "Holy Shit. Wow. I get it. I never thought of that before." There is that

moment at the end of I am Legend, and it has to do with that very line. The movie

ruined the message. I've no issue with modernizing a setting and characters, but the

message needs to be the same. Romeo and Juliet has been done in thousands of settings,

but they NEVER live happily ever after. You don't fuck with a play, you shouldn't fuck with

a book, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I grew up reading Isaac Asimov and Frank Herbert the books are always better than any movie

Dune comes to mind. Good movie, great book.

No, awesome book!

Speaking of Dune, I kind of liked the Si-Fi Channel remakes as well. They when in to more detail, but did not have the power of the original movie. I had hoped that they would finish the whole series.

I mean, did anyone see the movie Starship Troopers and read the book? Ho-ly fuck.

Dizzy Flores was a man who died in the first scene in the book...in the movie, she

was a hot redhead who went topless twice.....NOT THAT THERE'S A PROBLEM THERE, or

anything, but Heinlein had a MESSAGE to be taught and it got lost.

Yeah. The movie was more a parody on the book really, but it had a message of its own too: anti-militarism and anti-fascism. Those typical Verhoeven (see Robocop and Total Recall) faux commercials were hilarious and scary, at the same time. Paul Verhoeven was growing up in Nazi occupied Holland, so anti-militarism and anti-fascism is a strong theme in all of his early movies. Also, how can you beat Doogie Houser dressed in an SS uniform? :) Any way, I enjoyed both the book and the movie.

Yeah, well, I could give two shits where he grew up. I mean, I'm sorry he got

the Nazis, but that's no excuse to make every damn thing about how anything like

them is bad.

That book had so much to give, and now it's ruined for ever having an awesome movie

made of it. Heinlein thought up mechanized armor. He....invented....it. There was

none in the movie.

Heinlein delved deep into why we fight, and what makes us better, and worse, than a hive

mind. There was none of that in the movie.

The worse thing is that he probably lied to Ginny Heinlein to get rights, then raped

the book 7 different ways. I am glad Heinlein himself wasn't alive to see it.

I mean, the book is one of the best science fiction novels ever. The movie wasn't even

special the year it came out. It's like hiring a kindergarten kid to fingerpaint

an animated flip book of the Mona Lisa. Some shit just shouldn't be allowed.

The power armor concept is cool as hell. I just don't think that the tech was there in 1996 to do it properly and within budget. I don't remember the book delving too deeply into the concept of hive mind, at least not nearly as much as Ender's Game did. Then again, it has been a while and I should really re-read it. The episode which stuck with me the most, was in the very beginning, where they were raining hell on the vastly out-matched Skinnies.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

A well done movie, one of my favorites as well. Not that I have many favorites.

The problem with most sequels/remakes is a lack of original thought and the desire to make easy money without putting any substantial effort into the venture. I'm almost done with my first book and as far as I know it should be different enough to stand on it's own and should transfer well enough to a movie. Time will tell.

The greatest sci-fi movie of all time is about to get butchered. John Carpenter's The Thing is getting re-done. Not a pick up where left off, but a re-do. They threw a couple hot chicks in, and all the effects are gonna be CG, not animatronics. I'm thinking Twilight meets The Thing. Gonna suck!

The greatest sci-fi movie of all time is about to get butchered. John Carpenter's The Thing is getting re-done. Not a pick up where left off, but a re-do. They threw a couple hot chicks in, and all the effects are gonna be CG, not animatronics. I'm thinking Twilight meets The Thing. Gonna suck!

hell you think thats bad, the new Xmen movie which Ive been waiting for, has the douchebag that played the main character in "Wanted" as Professor Xavier. ITS A TRAVESTY I TELL YA!!!!!!!

X-Men: First Class (2011) - IMDb

You of course realize the John Carpenter version of The Thing was in fact a remake. James Arness played the thing in the 1950's version. The only movie in which I have ever seen that was better than the book was Bram Stoker's Dracula (Francis Ford Coppola, Director). Good remakes (not necessarily better) are Halloween (Rob Zombie), Dawn of the Dead, The Day the Earth Stood Still was ok, but neither version followed the original story at all. It was Called I am the Master,(Gort was the master and Klatu was the slave).

Heavy Metal 2 (Fakk) Sucked balls, so much so I don't even remember the story line. I still need to see the original movie that I am legend was made from, Vincent Price's Last man on Earth.

Hell I'd just like to see a decent Zombie movie come out......................

Sorry, man, didn't mean to snap at you. But, yeah, it was a book before anything else.

While a non successful book can sometimes be made into a great movie, usually it's the other way around.

I'm a bit of a literary snob; I read a whole bunch, and generally view those that just read for information

as unimaginative people that would rather watch TV.

As a result, most of the time a movie from a book comes out, I've read the book, first, and I am almost

always disappointed by the movie. Important parts get cut, bullshit gets left in, the plot and/or characters

get slanted to fit some liberal queer director's vision, or at least is made PC, or the ending gets changed.

Peter Jackson did a good job with Tolkien's work. It wasn't perfect, but it was good. The films made awesome

money, swept the Oscars, and were just badass. I wish he'd take a stab at King's Dark Tower series, since

he's the only one who could do it justice.

• Like 2

Here's my opinion on all these remakes... Doing a remake is a sign that they have no original ideas. If they can sell me on WHY they want to do a remake, other than "because we'll get tons of money off name recognition even if it sucks", then I'll be on board.

Peter Jackson did a good job with Tolkien's work. It wasn't perfect, but it was good. The films made awesome

money, swept the Oscars, and were just badass. I wish he'd take a stab at King's Dark Tower series, since

he's the only one who could do it justice.

:super: I agree whole heartedly on that one...problem is what if someone else did it and SCREWED IT UP :unsure: I know a whole heap of people would be sooooo pissed...

I've always wondered something about the Dark Tower series. Roland (the main character, for those who don't know it)

packs twin .45 Colt revolvers. While he is pretty much half cowboy, half knight errant, he can reload those suckers,

at the same time, damn fast.

This either means the revolvers are double action, with crane held cylinders that can be kicked out sideways like a

modern gun, or he is beyond warp speed at reloading Colt SAA style revolvers.

Im gonna go with "beyond warp speed" from what I remember... I distinctly remember mention of him ejecting shells out of a gate.... but then again, one of the prominent guns in the series was a "Ruger .44 magnum semi auto pistol" at one point to :lol: