Alright, I've come to the point where I have both the want and financial means to afford a 1911. Now I just need help deciding which to buy. My personal preference at the moment is the Springfield Mil-Spec (Not the US-GI, the local chain store can't seem to tell 'em apart). I like the price ($450 to $525), I like the style, sights, and feel, plus Springfield's warranty is damn good.

Thoughts? Gut Feelings? There's a gun show in town this weekend, and I'd like to pick it up then.

Thanks for the help.

1911's are my firearm of choice both for target shooting and for CCW. IMHO you can't go wrong with a 1911 whether it's Springfield, Colt, Kimber, Para-Ordinance or the lower end models such as Rock Island and Llama. My suggestion is get the style you want regardless of the cost. You won't be dissatisfied I assure you.

I ended up grabbing a Kimber for about $150 over what I was looking to spend on the Springfield Mil-Spec. In my mind it was a heck of a deal (at least that's what I keep telling myself ;) )

Anyway, the thing shoots great, the trigger is smoother than glass and the recoil is pretty damn easy for a large caliber hand gun. Now I just need to rid myself of that 357 twitch I developed last year and I can start shooting for accuracy.

Just picked up my long awaited 1911 last month. It's a 1970's model Colt and I really like it. Seems alot lighter than the old S&W .357 when carrying it around for snakes. I've already killed one rattler with it. Anyone any suggestions about the best Col. Cooper book to add to my gun library?

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a new Auto Ordnance G.I. WW2 Army 1911a1 45acp and it looks awesome for $384 much better than the other bargain basement 45's. Its made from 4140Ht steel too. My dealer also had the SA WW2 model with the "US" stamped in the wood grips for $419 and i heard these are hard to get too. I know the list is over $500 on both of them. All they need is the 18lb recoil spring and the full length guide rod that costs $14 and your good to go with hardball ammo. I would still like to get a Charles Daly, S.A.M. and a Rock Iland Armory too.(collect) Springfield Armory has a new 1911a1 out now too it has a double stack mag I just seen one in my local shop.

Lately the new trend is the 45 kits too you can build the complete gun for way under $300 and if you match up the right parts and fit them correctly you can end up with gold cup accuracy too.

Edited by Unknown Poster