Best place to buy a saiga 12

Hey guys Im new to the forum,I have had AR and AK base guns for years and have always wanted a Saiga 12 so I figured I would start getting serious and learn as much as I can about them and best place to buy them. All my local gun shops dont have them and say they cant get them,something about having trouble importing them,mentioned a certain presidents name but im not getting into that. So at this time where is the best/cheapest place to pick one up?? Thanks!!

Well I want to say welcome to the forum. I don't want to be the bad guy but might try to search the site before you post. There has been a lot of talk about this recently. Kvar had some and although Gunbroker is high they will have some. Other than that they are coming in and selling out fast.....you will just have to look.

You don't have many options at the moment. Due to the ATF shotgun study starting up, there was a wave of panic buying and vendors sold out pretty quick. This was a separate incident.. as things had improved from the wave of panic buying due to the election. Just when we were all getting comfortable. The issue is going to be some regulation on importation based on some possible re-definition of the "sporting purpose" laws... which are bullshit anyway. But that's another topic and you can read about that elsewhere. There is speculation that one of the targets might be the S-12, but as imported it is fully compliant with the current regulations. I am nervous about the issue.. but I'm not in a panic about it.

Right now.. I don't know of anyone who has any S-12's in stock.

Now... an option for you might be, if you want the gun converted, but don't care whether or not you do it yourself.... I think a few places might be carrying some conversions. If you're willing to spend around $1,000, then you're good to go. I believe Mississippi Auto Arms had some of the Red Jacket conversions in stock a week ago.. but they might be gone now.

I actually considered this option myself, as I would like another one just in case.. even though I feel like we're ok and things will return to normal. I have about 1k in my conversion as it is, not including the money I have spent on magazines/drums. So, I don't think that 1,200 or so on a good, professional conversion is bad at all.. and you know it's ready to go as soon as you get it.

Long story short... you're probably gonna have to wait a little while to get one, unless you either get lucky or get ripped off. Provided you can't find a decent price on a professional conversion from a vendor.

edit: just checked K-var and they are sold out now

Edited by danklab

I found one 2 days ago by calling around to small shops in small towns. I just picked one up for $500 from the middle of nowhere in N MN. I bought the only one they had. There are some buy it nows on GunBroker for less than $800. If you got the money snag one of those, if not, get on the phone and start calling out of the way gun stores.

Edited by Dwarvenlord1

K-VAR while sold out now usually gets them in every week and are the cheapest I've found recently. Other than that you either need to get lucky and find a local shop that has one in for a good price or pay the premium to have one now on gunbroker.