Centurion slugs any good? (as cheap break-in ammo)

IMO, breaking in the Saiga is about wear-polishing the internals from use for slicker operation later on. Unless you've got a specific need to test the heavy load setting #1 on the gas regulator which just cuts off the gas a bit so the gun's not over-gassed and cycling too violently, for the most part, I'm thinking a stroke of the action is a stroke of the action. The cycling velocity is probably the same (within the ballpark) between a hot slug that needs setting one, and a mild slug that needs setting 2.

If they're getting stuck for you untill you went with after-market gas puck and settings, I'd try several hundred strokes of hand-cycling, then blasting the action out with lube, and trying again. You could also check how well your gas-ports are drilled.

Is it a three or four port model?

I'm just in the process of partially reloading Federal Wallyworld bulk-packs into slugs for my break-in. Those Centurions are roughly $320/1000 rounds, while Fed bulk target loads are $230/1000, saving you $90. (I figure sales tax in the store vs. shipping is roughly a wash...)

Lee Load-all $43

Lee Production Pot II $50

Lee 1oz 12ga Foster type shotgun slug mold $18.

So that's 1000 slugs (not counting your time) and an extra $22 dollars, which gets you almost completely set up to reload for 12ga. And now you've got a whole bunch of hulls you can use over. Next time around all you need is powder, lead, wads, and primers. (Plus you've got a little extra lead, since the bulk packs are 1 1/8th oz of shot..) And you're on your way to making '68 cal balls, ball & buck combos, or even getting into casting for other ammo/reloading too.

The worth of your time? I leave that to you.

They way I see it, unless you're rich, you want your Saiga to work with those cheap weaker loads, so any experimentation, polishing, break in, or adjustment it takes to get there is worthwhile.

For me, time spent casting slugs, or reloading shells is better than my screaming kids, picking up dog poop, or doing the dishes. 000.gif

You're a smart man!

That "hand cycling" comment is pure genius.... and much cheaper than "high brass" ammo.

Ahem.... the hand cycling comment is pure genius.... and much cheaper than "high brass" ammo.

Just ordered 250 of the slugs but I'm really interested in the crap shot to slug method. Will this work with the remington gameload? I have 1000 rounds of that also where did u get the slug mold? Any pointers on opening the crimp? Sorry for so many questions

Edited by kindapointless

You said you did run these slugs out of a MD20?^^^

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I just got a case of these and they fit nicely in the Promag12 rd drum.

I have not tried them yet in the MD20.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Hey guys. Idiot question. Is Nobel/Nobel sport the same company as Centurion? It seems like companies who sell one always sell the other and at about the same price. If they are the same Co, is there any difference from one to the other in quality or features, like Chevy to GMC?

I was about to order a case of the NobelSport to be my year's supply of slugs, so it would be nice to know.