So my job is taking me on the road for the next 13-15 months and instead of paying rent on an apartment I won't see, my stuff is going into storage. The firearms will be locked in a safe but it isn't airtight by any means.

My plan right now is to clean them all one more time and while wearing gloves so as to not put skin oils on them, rub the frames with gun oil and put an oiled patch down the barrel. Then once they're all in the safe I'll have 3 cans of dessicant (enough to cover 155 sq ft, plenty for my 14 gun safe) poured into open ziplock bags since the quart sized cans won't all fit with the firearms in the safe. I'm thinking I'll tape the seams around the door but beyond this I can't think of anything else to help with corrosion protection.

Are there other/better products than dessicant for keeping humidity low? Sealable bags that pistol grip equipped rifles and shotguns can fit in? I realize the long term and non climate controlled storage is less than ideal, but there has to be something that'll do it. I can't go the Goldeneod route as there is no power in the storage unit.

Thanks all

Eric

Edited by towerofpower93

I always use an old tube sock filled with desiccant. As for trying trying to make the safe "air tight" just go get some rubber door gasket for around the door from home depot and seal any other holes with sealant.

well, you could buy a vacuum sealer and seal them all up. I hope you are putting them somewhere other than a storage unit, or at least have good insurance.

For cheap dessicant, buy some silica gel cat litter and pour it into some cheap knee high nylons and tie them off with a knot. Also seal the door to the safe with some silicone sealer or plumbers putty (don't forget the holes on the bottom and side of the safe). Also rig the safe with a pepper spray device.

Normerica_CatLitter_SilicaLarge.jpg

I will step up and help you, just send ALL your guns plus ammo to me and I will take care of them till you get home. Its a big sacrifice on my part but its the least I can for a fellow forum member.:lolol:

well, you could buy a vacuum sealer and seal them all up. I hope you are putting them somewhere other than a storage unit, or at least have good insurance.

For cheap dessicant, buy some silica gel cat litter and pour it into some cheap knee high nylons and tie them off with a knot. Also seal the door to the safe with some silicone sealer or plumbers putty (don't forget the holes on the bottom and side of the safe). Also rig the safe with a pepper spray device.

Normerica_CatLitter_SilicaLarge.jpg

Kitty litter's a good idea. Booby traps are not, for two reasons. Booby traps are illegal in most states, and 15 months later you'll probably have forgotten about it and get a face full of not fun.

For long-term storage, grease is the way to go, over oil. Sucks to clean out later, but it does its job very well.

OIL them all properly, like you stated, then insert each one into its own silicone impregnated gun sock. THEN place into the safe with the dessicant you have stated. Your firearms will be JUST FINE when you return. The gun socks also help to prevent dings and scratches too in case something shifts in the safe... of you bump one when trying to put another in...

The gunsocks may not look it... but they are more than stretchy enough to go over most scoped rifles, too... so just yank and stretch! They will fit!!! LOL

I would NOT put anything around the door of the safe... just crap you gotta CLEAN later. The above stated procedure will work more than long enough for the timeframe you will be gone.

:smoke:

I will step up and help you, just send ALL your guns plus ammo to me and I will take care of them till you get home. Its a big sacrifice on my part but its the least I can for a fellow forum member.:lolol:

A man truly devoted to selfless service and sacrifice for others. I don't care what they say about you behind your back...you're a gentleman and a scholar in my book:)

Edited by towerofpower93

I'm good on insurance and the pepper spray idea does not get a +1 in my book for the reasons already stated. I'd look like an ass stumbling out of my storage unit, crying my eyes out and cursing my own name later next year:)

Indy

All good points, now to find some silicone impregnated gun socks/sealent bags. I've seen some online.

And here we are. Just as cheap as cheaper than dirt.

http://shop.rustfreebags.com/

Even better.

http://www.polygunbag.com/gunbags.html

Edited by towerofpower93

Does kitty litter really work as a dessicant? I've been looking for silica gel at craft stores but can't find any. Kitty litter would be nice and cheap if it works.... I've never heard of using that though.

Does kitty litter really work as a dessicant? I've been looking for silica gel at craft stores but can't find any. Kitty litter would be nice and cheap if it works.... I've never heard of using that though.

Yes it works, need to make sure it has desiccant in it. The standard clay stuff is only good for oil spills

Spray grease and drum liners (large clear trash bags made to fit a 55 drum). Coat with much grease, and stuff in a bag. They will sleep peacefully for years. DO NOT use any desiccant. Desiccant will keep pulling water out of the air even when there is no place for it to drain. The flood of desiccant water is quite caustic and will rust your guns.

So my job is taking me on the road for the next 13-15 months and instead of paying rent on an apartment I won't see, my stuff is going into storage. The firearms will be locked in a safe but it isn't airtight by any means.

My plan right now is to clean them all one more time and while wearing gloves so as to not put skin oils on them, rub the frames with gun oil and put an oiled patch down the barrel. Then once they're all in the safe I'll have 3 cans of dessicant (enough to cover 155 sq ft, plenty for my 14 gun safe) poured into open ziplock bags since the quart sized cans won't all fit with the firearms in the safe. I'm thinking I'll tape the seams around the door but beyond this I can't think of anything else to help with corrosion protection.

Are there other/better products than dessicant for keeping humidity low? Sealable bags that pistol grip equipped rifles and shotguns can fit in? I realize the long term and non climate controlled storage is less than ideal, but there has to be something that'll do it. I can't go the Goldeneod route as there is no power in the storage unit.

Thanks all

Eric

http://www.zcorrproducts.com/

Yakdung

FWIW, I just grabbed my arsenal AK after around 2 years of inactivity and it's been at my dads for almost a year untouched.

The only "issue" I can find, a little oxidized copper on the gas piston and in the gas block. No other issues anywhere.

Learn the lesson that every C&R/Milsurp Collector learns, rifles coated in cosmoline have long shelf lives, a good greasing goes along way.

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/?gclid=CN-CkKKCw6cCFYbs7QodyztOCw

And it'll give you something to do besides shooting when you get back!

Learn the lesson that every C&R/Milsurp Collector learns, rifles coated in cosmoline have long shelf lives, a good greasing goes along way.

http://www.cosmoline...CFYbs7QodyztOCw

:devil:

My thoughts exactly. While the benefits of cosmoline go without saying...this is only for 9-15 months and cleaning that crap off every weapon I own upon return would drive me nuts.

My thoughts exactly. While the benefits of cosmoline go without saying...this is only for 9-15 months and cleaning that crap off every weapon I own upon return would drive me nuts.

Just toss'em all in your neighbor's jacuzzi for 15minutes and they'll come out clean, just dry, oil and GtG.