I would be concerned trying that in a pump or auto (while not single feeding). Anyone try it in a Saiga 12? :killer:

Pretty cool idea for cheap slugs out of a break action, though!

They have to be fed one at a time manually, if you feed them through a pump or semi auto mag it has play in the shell since the hull is almost cut in half and it'll jam it up.

This is an old school method and of course it works. I was taught this years ago as an emergency procedure at the police academy. On the other hand you will never compete with the accuracy of modern slugs.

Wanna guess at what pressures you'll be running?

Hint: H I G H.

Sure, it may work, but is it worth the risk?

I would imagine the increased diameter would definitely add pressure (due to the plastic hull going down the barrel around the wad).

But, I am wondering with cheapo low brass birdshot, since plastic is relatively malleable what the pressure spike would be and how it would compare to magnum loads which often have a higher weight load and a lot more powder. I don't have a reloading manual for shotguns, so I don't really know what pressures they typically operate at. Anyone have any data?

But Patriot I agree with both you and Dad2142Dad, not a good idea to do it regularly with the amount of range ammo we (Saiga 12 shooters) are used to putting downrange, but in a pinch when you are out of defense loads... that's another story.

I wonder if you made two cuts opposite each other that both went just over halfway around.... Maybe it would cycle in a pump action because it would stay more ridgid and still break away when fired.

Any one want to try? Personally I feel safer shooting them out of the thicker barrel on my single shot than a pump or auto but, lots a people do it.

Then there was the old trick of squirting honey into the round with a hypodermic to keep the shot together and make it pattern tighter. That was most used as a way of cheating at the Turkey Shoots!

Well Southern Style Turkey Shoots anyway, down here we use a gauge, up North they use a rifle from what I hear.