First trip to the range...

So I took the S12 to the range today for the first time. I shot about 100 rounds of the wal mart bulk pack (Winchester XTRA-LITE 8) with mixed results. The gun was on setting 2 the entire time. The 5th round always stove piped, most of the time it ran OK but seemed like every mag had at least 1 bag egg.

This was the first trip, so I'm hoping with more shooting it will get better.

Any opinions?

my first day with my saiga i went out with 250 rounds of cheapo wally world winchester universal birdshot ran on gas setting 2 the whole day next time out ran 150 mixed batch of everything from buck to bird on gas setting 1 no problem. post conversion i took her out again and she can still run everything on gas setting 1.

• Like 1

Run a few boxes of buck or slugs to break the gun in before you start running birdshot through it. They will help break it in.

So I went out tonight and bought another 200 rounds of cheap stuff. I stayed away from the Winchester this time. I will report again on Friday if the weather holds out.

Are you reading this thread?

Just to throw this out there. I opened her up tonight to check port sizing. I have 3 ports, and a piece of .80 trimmer line wont fit through. It might if I force it, but that would be cheating. Should I just quit wasting my time and send it back or should I put a lot more ammo through it?

SHOOT HIGH-BRASS THROUGH IT! 50 shells of buckshot are NOT that expensive...

It sounds like its running pretty good as is, continue to shoot it more.

If you do decide to open any of the ports up, try doing one at 3/32" and clean the other two out with a 5/64" bit. If that doesnt help, do one more at 3/32".

Going by how you say yours is running, it doesnt sound like its in need of opening all the ports up to 3/32".

I wouldnt send it back for warranty work, especially if you are accustomed with removing the gas block yourself. If it required other work (ie; canted sight or gas block) then i'd probably have warranty work done to it.

Since you have your gas block off, can you see a carbon ring around the ports? Does that ring cross any of the ports? If so, opening the gas block window to unobstruct the ports will help as well.

Edited by Mullet Man

Oh my bad, i took "i opened her up" as more then just removing the gas regulator. :angel:

I stick to what i said but will change it to, if you think you can handle removing the gas block yourself .......

What mags are you using?

I haven't taken the gas block off yet and I have shot 2 boxes of high brass. The issues I've had are with win universal fte and stovepiping.

Usually the last round of every mag will stove. The other 4 rounds are usually fine. Sometime I have a fte.

I had this problem too. Make sure you are leaning into the recoil as much as possible.