Professional Refinishing Recommendation

Hi All,

I've recently converted my Saiga. and refinished the shotgun with Aluma-Hyde II - the results were great. However, I took it out shooting yesterday, put 225+ rounds through it. Unfortunately, the paint on the barrel scraped/bubbled off in a few places. I think the barrel got hot enough to soften the Aluma-Hyde II and when I placed the shotgun down on the bench at the range, the barrel rubbed on the bench just enough to scrape off the Aluma-Hyde II.

Disappointed, obviously. I did follow the instructional videos from Brownells - stripped, light sanding with grit paper, degreased (twice), heated, painted four coats (two dustings, one heavy and one final) heating between each, left alone for two weeks with hot air blowing on the parts.

So, now I'm looking for a finish that will stand up to the heat produced such as when I dump multiple magazines in a row. I looking for either a Teflon coating or Cerakote.

But I want this done by a professional - a shop that has experience refinishing AKs/Saigas.

Has anyone on this forum used a professional service for refinishing? Can anyone make recommendations?

Thank you.

What made it so good? Whats the price?

It's good stuff, if my understanding is correct, I think the FBI has all their guns refinished in it. Takes forever to get your gun back though.

Hi All,

I've recently converted my Saiga. and refinished the shotgun with Aluma-Hyde II - the results were great. However, I took it out shooting yesterday, put 225+ rounds through it. Unfortunately, the paint on the barrel scraped/bubbled off in a few places. I think the barrel got hot enough to soften the Aluma-Hyde II and when I placed the shotgun down on the bench at the range, the barrel rubbed on the bench just enough to scrape off the Aluma-Hyde II.

Disappointed, obviously. I did follow the instructional videos from Brownells - stripped, light sanding with grit paper, degreased (twice), heated, painted four coats (two dustings, one heavy and one final) heating between each, left alone for two weeks with hot air blowing on the parts.

So, now I'm looking for a finish that will stand up to the heat produced such as when I dump multiple magazines in a row. I looking for either a Teflon coating or Cerakote.

But I want this done by a professional - a shop that has experience refinishing AKs/Saigas.

Has anyone on this forum used a professional service for refinishing? Can anyone make recommendations?

Thank you.

I'm sorry that happened to you but I'm glad you posted it up here. I was thinking about using Alumahyde II on a few different Saigas and shotguns. I guess I'll try my hand at Cerakote instead.

I thought Robar was the only one who does NP3?

After doing a little research, I believe you are right. Looking around their site, I don't think it would really be that expensive to have done what I want done. That is, just the receiver and top cover, inside and out, out side of barrel and gas tube, internals (hammer, trigger, disco) and bolt. Have the bolt carrier Ro-guarded to match the peripherals (stock and adapter, trigger guard and grip, Kaos Titan (when I get it) gas adjuster and flash hider, which will all be left black.

I have always had a thing for black and silver two tone fire arms. Dunno why, just do :P