Errr.... first conversion, did I mess up already?

Hello all, long time lurker here just getting around to converting his Saiga12 ( owned her for a few years now )

When I went to buy my conversion parts I had to split between CSS and MAA due to out of stocks, I settled on THIS trigger guard as I liked the look and styleing of it over the standard AK flat bent strip of sheetmetal look.

My concern is that this is not going to be a true bolt on as I'd hoped and instead require precision drilling in order to get its placement right? I also notice what appears to be a lack of safty stop shelf. The Safty stop I " THINK " I can work around and fabricate something serviceable, but the install itself has me ... concerned

Anyone have any experience with this specific guard? Anything I should know about it or its install?

I'm sorry to come here bothering you old timers with noob questions, I'm just scared of messing something up beyond my abality to fix.

BTW thx for all the info I've soaked while lurking, you guys have taught me much over the last 2 years just by reading your witty banter, and in truth, theres not a single post on the first 50 pages of the forum I havent read more than once =o)

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-375/Saiga-12-AR-Trigger/Detail

the trigger guard in question

thanks again for takeing time to read my drivel

Waylon

Hello all, long time lurker here just getting around to converting his Saiga12 ( owned her for a few years now )

When I went to buy my conversion parts I had to split between CSS and MAA due to out of stocks, I settled on THIS trigger guard as I liked the look and styleing of it over the standard AK flat bent strip of sheetmetal look.

My concern is that this is not going to be a true bolt on as I'd hoped and instead require precision drilling in order to get its placement right? I also notice what appears to be a lack of safty stop shelf. The Safty stop I " THINK " I can work around and fabricate something serviceable, but the install itself has me ... concerned

Anyone have any experience with this specific guard? Anything I should know about it or its install?

I'm sorry to come here bothering you old timers with noob questions, I'm just scared of messing something up beyond my abality to fix.

BTW thx for all the info I've soaked while lurking, you guys have taught me much over the last 2 years just by reading your witty banter, and in truth, theres not a single post on the first 50 pages of the forum I havent read more than once =o)

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-375/Saiga-12-AR-Trigger/Detail

the trigger guard in question

thanks again for takeing time to read my drivel

Waylon

I too purchased that trigger guard for same reason. It's built solid and I didn't think I would really miss the safety stop but I do. I will have to fix that later. Mine bolted right on, however even using locking washers it kept coming loose after about fifty rounds. I tapped a third hole(which IMO should have been standard) and it fixed the problem nicely. Once you have your grip on you should have another hole left over from the old guard in the reciever. I just tapped a hole in the guard in that location. Be careful not to go too deep because the mounting bolt coming from the bottom of the grip is in that area. And make sure to tap it straight. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Brix, good to know it won't be too much of an issue to make it work.

I wonder if a healthy dose of locktight wouldnt solve the comeing loose issue? I may just return it for the CSS bolt on with safty stop already built in, it has the same machined look which is what I was after but will loose with a Redneck Rigged Fix.

Haveing some parts custom made by Jay at Fuglystick and Michael at Alumilight. They I think are still 2ish weeks out so I have time for the exchange prior to being able to finish up anyway.

As a side note... and I know MY word means nothing to anyone... but I can't express how pleased I have been in my dealings with BOTH gentlemen. Both companies have shown me a level of service I personally thought long dead in the buisness world. I just can't say enough good about em to convay how pleased I've been in my dealings with them...

Looking forward to putting Pauly's reputation to the test soon as well =o) /Mmmmm Glassbolt

Can't wait to get it finished up and post some picks, love to hear what you guys think when I'm done

Peace, and thanks again man

Waylon

Welcome aboard finally. Don't blame ya for wanting to learn all you could first, before posting. Nothing at all wrong with that. I didn't post for at least a year to a year and a half after I found this place. I spent all that time reading everything on the forum back since day one, and moving forward til my join date. That was easier to do back in 2004 though. It really helped me to get a complete understanding of how everything was around here, and who people really were. Also gave me a much better understanding of the weapons. I wish more people would do that before posting.

Good luck on your conversion and don't be afraid to drill a hole if you need to. It's not that hard.

I used blue loctite on the regular (non-AR adapt) version of that guard and it went on easily and has not come loose in the couple boxes through my gun...I would be shocked if it did.

The only issue.....if you can even call it that....which I encountered was that the hole for the grip screw was relatively shallow. The screw was too long and I felt I had to get it pretty close to the perfect length to have enough to feel it was strong and secure. I just eyeballed it carefully and used a dremel to carefully cut off the screw without messing up the threads. Since I used a soft rubber Hogue grip I also cut a washer to fit well inside to increase the surface area the screw had to grip from the inside.

Hey and Thanks Cobra,

aye, thats exactly what I did, read and learn as much as I can both about the weapon system itself and the folks who make frequent posts here. Its always good to know the heavy hitters so to speak, and pay special attention to what they say when they decide to say something. I've read so many posts from everyone I feel like I already know everyone though, no one knows me =o)

Bridis, did you use blue or red sir? and how did you fix the safty stop issue? recycled saiga triggerguard style from back in the day or something more creative? I found a milled one from AKbuilder that matches pretty well except its so darned thick I think it would cause issues with a flush mount.... kinda kick the whole thing off kelter a bit. not sure I'd be pleased with the end result.

things to ponder...

Thanks everyone

Waylon

Thanks for the pics James!

After closer inspection of mine this is likely the route I'll go as well. The metal plate I would cut off the existing guard to recycle the catch is thin enough that I think it will fit under the guard without causeing alignment issues.

looks good to me =o)

FL Thunder Stick, I too was thinking of getting a professional job done as well, however the CSS Vids convienced me that I could do the job myself and spend a fraction of what a professional conversion would cost to buy the tools needed to do it with that I didn't already own. Not much to a basic conversion and all the fancy stuff I'll mail out anyway ( bolt polish/profile etc )

Its not the coin though... not worried about that so much, hell we can't take it with us right? :devil: I wanted to do it myself to both learn the weapon better myself, and have the satisfaction of knowing as I get all the looks and questions at the range that "I" did this...

One day I'll pass this weapon along with many others to my son, long after I'm wormbait he'll still be doing drum dumps with it. It'll mean more to both of us this way :angel:

Waylon

Edited by datrowl

I think if you do reuse the original safety stop, you will be happier if you go ahead and fit it around the trigger guard. It's thicker than you think it will matter and it was pretty easy to fit and cut out.

Another simple safety stop alternative is to just drill and tap for a small hex machine screw on the side of the receiver (look at the S12 pic in my album link). Install with some red loc-tite and cut/grind flush inside the receiver.