Red Jacket S 12 question

I sold my unconverted S12 last week to buy lots of .308. I really miss it now.

I happen to come across a small local dealer who says he has a NIB unfired converted Red Jacket S12 that was built by them in 2007. He wants $1650 for it but I can get him to go to $1500 or maybe even $1400 if I have cash in hand.

Is this a good deal? I have not seen it yet but he is sending pics later and Im sure I can look at it if I asked. He has it "put away". Are the Red Jacket S12s from this date just as good as the new ones? If it is a real Red Jacket S12 can I expect it to run

like a bunny out of the box?

Ive seen the pics, its awesome. He are the stats

Tromix Shark Brake / Door Breacher

19 inch threaded barrel

HK sights

Russian handguard with lower tactical rail

High quality side folder stock, can fold to either side with adjustment

Ergonomic pistol grip

G-2 no slap fire control

Side mount scope rail for optics

Galil Style cocking handle

100% new parts

for 1500 nib, if you don't get it, PM me the info pls, I'll run it thru my FFL guy. ( consider unconverted S12s are running between 750 and 1100 atm ) Call any of the big time players shops and price a converion....

• Like 1

I got more info. It was a converted S12 sold through Atlantic firearms. They said it was converted by Will Hayden of red Jacket but its not red jacket marked. This was also bought before Will got "famous" so It might be legit. he also said that he could call AF, give them the serial number and have documentation sent out.

post-27192-0-78094000-1304631663_thumb.jpg

post-27192-0-44373700-1304631679_thumb.jpg

Given the current base price on unconverted guns, the cost of the bits and pieces attached to it, the cost of the conversion itself... at 1500 its a steal... I have over 2k in mine already, only gave 500.00 for it new...and have done most of the work myself... still have another 500.00 or so to go on it for stuff I can't or won't actually do myself ( bolt reprofileing/polishing, a bit of welding, and duracoat job )

Look at it this way, you can buy it for 1500.00 now.... and sell it for double that in a few weeks on gunbroker or gunnet or any one of the other sights. eithor way, your not gonna loose money on it...

• Like 1

Given the current base price on unconverted guns, the cost of the bits and pieces attached to it, the cost of the conversion itself... at 1500 its a steal... I have over 2k in mine already, only gave 500.00 for it new...and have done most of the work myself... still have another 500.00 or so to go on it for stuff I can't or won't actually do myself ( bolt reprofileing/polishing, a bit of welding, and duracoat job )

Look at it this way, you can buy it for 1500.00 now.... and sell it for double that in a few weeks on gunbroker or gunnet or any one of the other sights. eithor way, your not gonna loose money on it...

Thats what Im thinking. My only concern is its not Red Jacket marked. How do I know the guy didnt do it himself and mess it up? I want the gun to run right

It'll sell with that laundry list and being converted reguardless of who did the conversion on it. IF you can get confirmation that it really is a Red Jacket... cost goes up again.... BUT... remember that as it sits now... even painted pink with a Disney World stamp on it and an official letter that it was converted by Mickey Mouse its STILL gonna pull 1500+ on the net....

Thats just the sad reality of the times.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input datrowl. Im wondering if I can call Red Jacket, give them the serial number and have them trace it. They must keep records and if I can get a signed doc by Will stating he did indeed do the conversion, that would be focking awesome.

Edited by GREYLUPO

Looks like a Red Jacket Build .. & if it was Bought in 2007 then their wasn't any "red Jacket " mark .. At least I don't think .. & if It was a Red Jacket Build through Atlantic then their most likely wouldn't be any mark or "Sheild" .. Looks like a great buy to me !! Nice converted s12 with no wait .. um yeah !!!

• Like 2

I bought a red jacket converted s12 from atlantic firearms. I don't know when the conversion was done but the gun was a 2008 model. It's completely awesome. Ran great on day 1 and I've had no problems with it since (except when I swapped out the gas puck, but that's not the gun's fault). It came with simple tapco furniture, g2 trigger group, and the phantom breacher brake. That stuff is just window dressing though. The stuff that matters is what's inside. The bolt carrier was polished and the hammer reprofiled to smooth the action. The bolt itself was ground and polished to make loading on a closed bolt easier. Feed ramps smoothed, old holes welded up, and the whole thing refinished. I'm not sure if the gas ports were worked on but I've never had a gas problem. $1500 is about $500 more than they're going for on atlantic firearms now (assuming there are any in stock which there may not be). For that you get the side folder, galil charging handle, HK sights, tromix brake, and russian handguard. It sounds like a good deal to me.

ETA: oh and, there's no red jacket mark on mine either.

Edited by Mr. Nathan
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the only S12's Atlantic ever sold were made by Red Jacket. Send Blaine Bunting an e-mail and ask him, but if the orignal receipt says Atlantic Firearms I bet Will made it.

Red Jacket never started marking guns until a few months ago and still not all the guns are marked so nothing the freak out about . It looks just like a production run they buitl for our from with the Russian front Railed hadnguards about 3 -4 years ago.

I want the gun but If I dont/cant keep it forever I might need to sell it so so having a doc stating that it is indeed a Red Jacket Saiga it will be worth more. If you sell Saiga 12's to the public saying that they were built by Red Jacket you should be able to

prove it. Whats stopping someone from doing a conversion and then saying, its a Tromix or a Red Jacket? It might just be a dude in his garage in Jersey or something.

Thanks for the input datrowl. Im wondering if I can call Red Jacket, give them the serial number and have them trace it. They must keep records and if I can get a signed doc by Will stating he did indeed do the conversion, that would be focking awesome.

Red Jacket never started marking guns until a few months ago and still not all the guns are marked so nothing the freak out about . It looks just like a production run they buitl for our from with the Russian front Railed hadnguards about 3 -4 years ago.

I want the gun but If I dont/cant keep it forever I might need to sell it so so having a doc stating that it is indeed a Red Jacket Saiga it will be worth more. If you sell Saiga 12's to the public saying that they were built by Red Jacket you should be able to

prove it. Whats stopping someone from doing a conversion and then saying, its a Tromix or a Red Jacket? It might just be a dude in his garage in Jersey or something.

There are actually Tromix and RJF, fakes. People will go through a lot of trouble to make a buck. Yes, you should be able to just contact Will, either here or through their email. I am sure they will be able to tell you if they built it or not. If it is legit, I am sure it would be worth it.Not to mention the warranty if it applies.

Ive already talked to Red Jacket, they said if I email them the # they will look it up and if they did it they will send me a letter stating its an offical Red Jacket firearm and signed by WH. Thats pretty cool

Personally I'd prefer a letter from the builder stating authenticity, (by serial number), rather than a stamp in the receiver. I like as few markings on the receiver as possible, and Saigas already come with a ton of import crap stamped in.

ymmv.