Storing loaded mags (poll)

My $0.02, I keep my Glock mags at half full with pinking ammo.

When I get worred about needing to use for HD I load it fully with JHP.( yea I dont know before hand when I will need it, I just like loading ammo into my mags)

Now on my long guns, they are under lock and key, mags with them.

I don't store ammo in my safe, in a fire the guns will make it, with ammo in the safe, to hot, bad move.

I do load my mads to the top every few days (7 to 10) just cause I have heard both stored

full and empty and cycled is bad on them.

A spring will cycle at rest from temp change, now before yall start, I know it wont move much, but it does move.

Less stress empty.

• 3 months later...

awesome thread!

I store mags for my HD gun and any gun in my gun rack loaded. For me this is because of a formula that works for me:

1. I need to know the condition of all guns/mags without thinking about it.

2. If I keep different guns in different conditions I (and friends/family) have to sort out each gun/mag individually.

3. A loaded gun is a tool, an unloaded gun is also a tool, it's called a club.

Therefore, all my guns are loaded, all the time. Anyone allowed in my house treats all guns as loaded because they are.

Well I keep AR mags downloaded to either 27 or 28. Its not due to the spring, or the feed lips however.

Being from a ban state I have to use old surplus mags if I want capacity, and I remember from my time in service that keeping a few rounds out of them reduces or eliminates the chances of a double feed.

AK mags I keep fully loaded. Have not had a issue yet, but I only have 10 30s for that. Anyone had steel rounds stick due to the coating?

It's like a thin piece of metal bent along a crease one time its fine and leave it there it wont break.Bend it back and forth and eventually it will snap.Leaving it loaded is like bending the thin metal once and compressing the spring over and over is like bending the thin metal multiple times.