Clearview investments or Centerfire systems.

Less than ten foreign parts works out to 6 US parts on an SKS. Put a cool US made muzzle brake, US gas piston, a US stock and US magazine and you should be covered.

Tapco has the gas pistons and op rods.

Edited by danny boy

Practically everyone who tries to P-grip and hi-cap an SKS regrets it.

This coming from the man who freakishly converts everything. The SKS is a great rifle when used with the original fixed mag and feeding with stripper clips. Only use I see for the detachable mag is with a scope.

That said, I've had an idea or two that wouldn't comply with import laws, so I've wanted to bring my SKS into US parts compliance. Parts that count include most synthetic stocks and handguards, Magazine parts, and piston and secondary piston (op rod). Grenade launcher also counts.

A more detailed description by me is posted as a sticky in the SKS forum at www.gunandgame.com

• 5 months later...

I've only seen one hi cap magazine which someone had at the range which worked. Most magazines don't work well from what I hear. If you look at the SKS forum, you can read feedback on the magazines. I won't use one on my Yugo since it will lose the C&R status and violate the idiotic USC 18 922r.

out of the 5 mags i have for my yugo, not one of them works (well the factory one that stays in the gun does) its a fun gun to have since i have one of the old pinapple grenade launchers, but other than that i tend to go for my saiga x39 or the AK.

• 4 months later...

I just saw a US compliance kit from Tapco in SHotgun News which consists of Tapco's T-6 pistol grip stock, handguard, operating rod, gas piston and gas tube and a Yugo muzzle brake and possibly a magazine. The package is less expensive than buying the parts separately.

I shouldered an SKS with the T-6 stock at a fun show and it feels nice, Tapco did a nice job on that stock.

Detachable hi-caps can work fine...but usually require some tweaking. Either aguy is able & willing to do this, or not.

A fella can do as he pleases. But, I really don't think the Yugo with the GL is a good basis for alot of alteration (and I'm okay with alteration). It's a pretty nice & zoomie looking weapon as is.

I'd say that, rather than compromise it reliability-wise with expensive american "compliance" parts...consider addition of a FIXED 20 round box mag -the aftermarket chinese offering. The version WITHOUT the star on the side is considered the better of them.

That gives the Yugo the bit more hi-cap it needs to be fun...and more usable in a modern respect.

Jus' my opine.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Edited by lollygagger

Bought a Yugo at the gunshow a couple years ago for $100. The plan was to jazz it up. After shooting it, the plan is to leave it alone, and shoot the B-Jesuus out of it!

G O B

I went the whole route a while back with my sks. Years ago i put on a dragunov sks stock, vented handguard, scopemount, muzzlebrake ect. it was all tricked out and neat looking but after a while I decieded it looked much better in its orginal condition with the wood stock. SKS's just don't look right without real wood for some reason. Its funny too on the other hand i like the synthetic stocks on my saiga's.

I have found out that the larger mags can jam but the inside dimentions are different from top to bottom and the middle seems tighter so thats why most won't feed. The pusher jams up in the center of the mag. If you take the mag apart and sand the pusher so its free thru the middle section the 30rd mag will function flawless the looser the better just like the bolt carriers in the sks/ak's. Years ago the first few 30rd mags being sold would operate flawless too and i guess production in high numbers ruins quality everytime. There are also cheap two piece mag bodies too and i'm not too crazy about these too but you can make them work with a little more work to get them to function in your gun. Sometimes not all guns are the same too each one can be a tad different too so the mag may need fitting too.(front to back so it locks up properly) It also can be the mag thats a little different too. I been there before but if your patient you can make them work just take your time and try to see whats wrong with it first you have to check everything out very closely before refitting to make sure what the problem is.

I also have one of the orginal star chinese 20rd fixed mags too. You also have to fit that to make it work properly to your gun. Nothings a given in the mag world. I found out that my last two rounds would fly out right after i would shoot the 3rd round left number 2 & 1 would just exit on the own right out of the mag. I found out the pusher in the mag pushing the bullets up was off center. With it being off center as the mag had lesser rounds in it they would all of a sudden release and both last rounds would fly out unfired. As soon as i bent the spring loaded arm in the middle of the mag(centralized) it worked fine.

Its nothing new fitting and making mags work properly but you can make them work right in the end its just a matter of learning what to look for thats wrong to make it right.

In the past I have even seen 6 egyptian hakims with the orginal mags that you couldn't swap out the mags between the guns. Like i said each gun can be different too. I couldn't even get the mag to go into the mag well to lock up properly it wasn't even close. Once i played musical chairs with the mags i figured out what mag went where the surplus world was perfect again and the C&R gods were happy too.(kidding) But it can be frustrating between all the same guns too nothing interchanges. Thats why they all use stripper clips too?

With my scoped sks its hard not to have a detachable mag trying to feed the rounds under the scope sucks at the range we really don't have a choice but to change out the mag. I'm very surprised they never made a bolt carrier with an angle fed stripper clip holder so it would feed under the scope.

Edited by Unknown Poster
  • 3 weeks later...
I gotta chinese with the 20 rnd fixed star mag and I use the stripper clips to load it and it is fast, easy, and I can bring 1000 rnds loaded (on strippers) and ready to go to the range. The strippers are as fast and maybe faster than the mags.

I agree with Guslinger about using stripper clips in my SKS rifles. I can reload from the stripper clips quickly and the SKS will cycle flawlessly. Yesterday I got a 30 round magazine made by Pro Mag to use in a Russian SKS. I tried it before going to the range and had trouble fitting it in. It also would not hold the bolt open after the last shot. I didn't want to take the time to tweak it so it's going back to the store. It may work in an SKS made in another country as the rifles varied. The magazine looks well made but I didn't want the hassle especially with the ammo being harder to get.

This is the first time I used a ProMag magazine which didn't work. All the Pro Mag magazines I used have been as good as factory mags. For the Mini-14 their polymer magazines are flawless.

:osama::killer: Some shooters like a low priced weapon with add ons, that cost more than the original weapon, yet don't improve function. Be money ahead to get an Ak. Understand the "cool" look factor. Just remember it's for your taste if you try to resale it. Have had local dealers ask me to convert back many plastic stock and high cap. mag. conversions. Because of bad/cheap parts or to make them compliant. It's a hobby. Gets me my weapons at costs in trade for work. Know I went off on a rant. Have 4 SKS's myself. 1 Russian, 1 Chinese, 2 Yugo's. :smoke: P.S. SKS Man has muzzle brakes to replace grenade launcher end.
  • 3 weeks later...
:osama::killer: Some shooters like a low priced weapon with add ons, that cost more than the original weapon, yet don't improve function. Be money ahead to get an Ak. Understand the "cool" look factor. Just remember it's for your taste if you try to resale it. Have had local dealers ask me to convert back many plastic stock and high cap. mag. conversions. Because of bad/cheap parts or to make them compliant. It's a hobby. Gets me my weapons at costs in trade for work. Know I went off on a rant. Have 4 SKS's myself. 1 Russian, 1 Chinese, 2 Yugo's. :smoke: P.S. SKS Man has muzzle brakes to replace grenade launcher end.

The minute you alter your SKS it loses it's collector value. SKS rifles are designed to use the fixed magazine except for the Chinese SKS-D orM which takes AK magazines. I'm leaving the factory magazine on my Yugo to avoid legal problems and to ensure the rifle functions flawlessly. I tried to see if a steel aftermarket magazine would work in my Yugo and it wouldn't even fit in so I took it back for a refund.

If you want something to modify then get a Saiga. This forum shows many modifications that the members have performed on their rifles and shotguns. Many AK (and AR) owners want their rifles to look 'hi-tech' and add all kinds of accessories to their rifles on accessory rails. Some accessories are practical and some look tacky and make the rifle unwieldy.

Just my two cents on the Detachable mags: everyone seems to have problems with the Yugos, but my old roomate bought a chinese with a fixed mag, bought a whole box of sks mags at a gunshow, various makes and sizes, and we shot the hell out of it, never had any problems with any of them, other than one of the 50 rounders not feeding the last couple rounds very well, but thats to be expected from any 50 round mag, it was mostly for looks, i think. (it did look impressive.) Too hard to load by hand too.

Like i said, the 20, 30, and 40 round mags worked fine, and we must have fired off thousands upon thousands of rounds.

He probably threw out the old attached mag.

I would have, and if i ever get an SKS, i know ill try and get the high-cap detachable mags for it. Twas a blast.

Of course, id never change out the wood stock, it looks too classy.

I have two duckbill mags for my Yugo SKS... I had to SAND A SMALL PORTION OF THE STOCK in the magwell for a good fit... but now they both work awesome... easily inserted and lock up really tight, and both feed flawlessly...

Needless to say, I put the factory mag back on as I was not 922R compliant with the hi caps, and I didnt want to risk any hassles...

:smoke:

Just my two cents on the Detachable mags: everyone seems to have problems with the Yugos, but my old roomate bought a chinese with a fixed mag, bought a whole box of sks mags at a gunshow, various makes and sizes, and we shot the hell out of it, never had any problems with any of them, other than one of the 50 rounders not feeding the last couple rounds very well, but thats to be expected from any 50 round mag, it was mostly for looks, i think. (it did look impressive.) Too hard to load by hand too.

Like i said, the 20, 30, and 40 round mags worked fine, and we must have fired off thousands upon thousands of rounds.

He probably threw out the old attached mag.

I would have, and if i ever get an SKS, i know ill try and get the high-cap detachable mags for it. Twas a blast.

Of course, id never change out the wood stock, it looks too classy.

I don't have problems with my Yugo with the factory magazine. It feeds flawlessly and is a good tack driver at 100 yds. I don't want to hassle with tweaking magazines for it. I would rather spend my time modifying my Saiga. I don't like the wood used on the Chinese SKS, the Yugo uses teak which is a hard and rot resistant wood.