shell base are all made of steel?

The bases of all the shells I have on my hand (high-base, low-base, 00buck, Federal value pack, slug) attracts a magnet, thus are proved to be made of steel. Hmm... I'm wondering if all modern shotshells are all like this.

I used to believe the silver bases on value pack ammo are aluminum, but again, the magnet proved they are also steel.

Then what are the golden plating on the base? Are they copper or just some shinny paint? They seem to conduct electricity, proven by my ome meter

all shot shell primers are made of steel and when you put steel against other metals it will make it, tarnish,or rust faster. Lot of older guys at the trap/skeet field will carry a stick with a magnet on it so they don't have to bend over to pick up there hulls after

My concern is just whether steel base will wear out the extractor faster... ?

Very unlikely.

"Steel" is a term that covers such a wide array of iron/carbon/xyz alloys that you've got the entire range of stuff that's so soft like a paper clip you could wind around your finger, to a drill bit or stuff that's even harder for specific kinds of machine tools.

Your extractor is several times harder than the base metal of the shell.

This is the same answer for people who worry about steel case rifle and pistol ammo. There might be a mismatch between bore obturation and chamber "grip" that might adversely affect certain kinds of actions, like a pure blowback action, or a mechanically delayed blowback like an HK G3/MP-5 type that could happen with a bad match of any cartridge metal steel, brass, or aluminum to the intended design. However, mechanical wear on the bolt, chamber, or the extractor is the least of your worries.

• Like 1

My concern is just whether steel base will wear out the extractor faster... ?

Very unlikely.

"Steel" is a term that covers such a wide array of iron/carbon/xyz alloys that you've got the entire range of stuff that's so soft like a paper clip you could wind around your finger, to a drill bit or stuff that's even harder for specific kinds of machine tools.

Your extractor is several times harder than the base metal of the shell.

This is the same answer for people who worry about steel case rifle and pistol ammo. There might be a mismatch between bore obturation and chamber "grip" that might adversely affect certain kinds of actions, like a pure blowback action, or a mechanically delayed blowback like an HK G3/MP-5 type that could happen with a bad match of any cartridge metal steel, brass, or aluminum to the intended design. However, mechanical wear on the bolt, chamber, or the extractor is the least of your worries.

Thank you! Now I can rest at night. :)

its actually an alloy, some are brass plated steel but most are alloys. all metals "oxidize" (rust) to a certain degree.

True but steel in and of itself is an alloy of iron mixed with other elements and or compounds such as nickel, tin, chromium, cobalt, mangaese or even carbon just to name a few