Hey Everybody,

I'm just ramping down from putting months into the sound effects design of this movie. It's good. Brutal, and unapologetic. I think some folks here might like it.

:super:

CTB Official Site

so they picked a brown eyed Samoan to play a blue-eyed Northern barbarian..what's next? I'm a Conan fan so I'll watch it anyway

Edited by RichardC1967
  • Like 3

He can be a big meanie when he wants.

That was pretty badass! If the rest of the movie is like this, I am game!

BTW SoundFX, I always wanted to know what sound do most foley guys use for suppressed gunfire. It reminds me of a tent zipper, but sounds nothing like an actual suppressed firearm (it actually sounds more like a staple gun if shooting subsonic rounds).

Glad there are some pro-gun guys in Hollywood!

BTW SoundFX, I always wanted to know what sound do most foley guys use for suppressed gunfire. It reminds me of a tent zipper, but sounds nothing like an actual suppressed firearm (it actually sounds more like a staple gun if shooting subsonic rounds).

Hey there,

First off, thanks for the question. Glad that people like yourself are thinking about sound as a separate entity from what they see. Most people have no idea how much work goes into the sound effects of a movie. They often just think the sound effects occur and are captured as part of the filming process, and that's just sadly not the case.

As for your question. Mainly it's sound effect people, and not foley that would handle something like a firearm. Foley is a separate, but related discipline to sound effects and sound design. Foley is where people record themselves doing various things with real objects trying to naturally match something occurring on screen, typically in a controlled quiet environment like a foley studio (shocker, huh?). They will record the cloth movements that occur with all generic motion, the footsteps with appropriate emotional content and surface / shoe choices, cups and glasses, hand pats and grabs, different real-world stuff in other words. Occasionally, we have foley people who are really good at creating SOURCE material for the effect editors / designers. People like Gary Hecker fit into this category. So, really, foley would have little or nothing to do with the sound of a firearm, with possible exception to the mechanics of the fire control group (or some imagined mechanics for it).

SO.... long story long. Effect editors will start with elements, and try to create a cool suppressed gun composite effect or effect series that sells "I'M A SUPPRESSED BAD GUY GUN!", but still makes a big cinematic impact. See the problem? Hollywood thinks the audience needs a huge unrealistic thing to cover up for the fact that they don't want to put that much effort into character development, plot, etc, and in return the rest of you get to hear ME cut in hammer cock sounds with a Glock on the screen. It's just the way it is. Until people can show Hollywood that realism will make them more money, then they're going to keep doing things this way.

It may change though. There will probably be some war movie where they do a really good sound job, like BHD, that will change the industry. But it ebbs and flows, because our job is not mirroring reality back to you, it's a fun house mirror that represents what Hollywood predicts the greatest statistical majority will be satisfied enough with to part with their hard-earned money.

The suppressed elements I usually start with are different low end thumps, an MP5SD recording that I mess with, and various other processed gun elements to make up a believable-ish firearm. I cheat, hack, lie, and use every trick to deceive people that I can. It's my job.

I've cut a ton of guns on movies like the Expendables, Crank 2, Gamer, Hills Have Eyes 2, and that's been my approach thus far. IIRC I did a fair amount of suppressed stuff that made it into the predubs of Gamer, but may not have made it into the movie. I almost never go watch the movie to see how it turns out. In fact, I think the only times I've seen a movie in the theater that I've worked on was when it was a cast and crew screening.

Meh, who cares. Sorry for the way-too-long post. :unsure:

dsc08909o.jpg

Edited by SoundFX
  • Like 2

Hey there,

First off, thanks for the question. Glad that people like yourself are thinking about sound as a separate entity from what they see. Most people have no idea how much work goes into the sound effects of a movie. They often just think the sound effects occur and are captured as part of the filming process, and that's just sadly not the case.

As for your question. Mainly it's sound effect people, and not foley that would handle something like a firearm. Foley is a separate, but related discipline to sound effects and sound design. Foley is where people record themselves doing various things with real objects trying to naturally match something occurring on screen, typically in a controlled quiet environment like a foley studio (shocker, huh?). They will record the cloth movements that occur with all generic motion, the footsteps with appropriate emotional content and surface / shoe choices, cups and glasses, hand pats and grabs, different real-world stuff in other words. Occasionally, we have foley people who are really good at creating SOURCE material for the effect editors / designers. People like Gary Hecker fit into this category. So, really, foley would have little or nothing to do with the sound of a firearm, with possible exception to the mechanics of the fire control group (or some imagined mechanics for it).

SO.... long story long. Effect editors will start with elements, and try to create a cool suppressed gun composite effect or effect series that sells "I'M A SUPPRESSED BAD GUY GUN!", but still makes a big cinematic impact. See the problem? Hollywood thinks the audience needs a huge unrealistic thing to cover up for the fact that they don't want to put that much effort into character development, plot, etc, and in return the rest of you get to hear ME cut in hammer cock sounds with a Glock on the screen. It's just the way it is. Until people can show Hollywood that realism will make them more money, then they're going to keep doing things this way.

It may change though. There will probably be some war movie where they do a really good sound job, like BHD, that will change the industry. But it ebbs and flows, because our job is not mirroring reality back to you, it's a fun house mirror that represents what Hollywood predicts the greatest statistical majority will be satisfied enough with to part with their hard-earned money.

The suppressed elements I usually start with are different low end thumps, an MP5SD recording that I mess with, and various other processed gun elements to make up a believable-ish firearm. I cheat, hack, lie, and use every trick to deceive people that I can. It's my job.

I've cut a ton of guns on movies like the Expendables, Crank 2, Gamer, Hills Have Eyes 2, and that's been my approach thus far. IIRC I did a fair amount of suppressed stuff that made it into the predubs of Gamer, but may not have made it into the movie. I almost never go watch the movie to see how it turns out. In fact, I think the only times I've seen a movie in the theater that I've worked on was when it was a cast and crew screening.

Meh, who cares. Sorry for the way-too-long post. :unsure:

dsc08909o.jpg

Thanks for the write up! Normally I don't care for remakes (I would have probably seen Conan just because it is Conan), but your youtube clip was fucking awesome!

I love it when I hear the sound of an 870 pump action when someone pulls out a revolver or a machinegun! :lolol:

I am sure you have tons of cool stories, but one of the things on the Expendables DVD special features that made my wife and I cringe was when Sly was using his 1911's to direct people where to be and what to do...

"You (pointing the muzzle at their face) need to come here and do this, and you (pointing the muzzle at someone else's face) come in and fall over here."

And he has a CCW! :eek:

deleted

will get myself into trouble if I stray too far. Please understand. I might retract and delete my post content depending on political implications that occur to me.

:unsure:

I totally agree there is no sense in getting anyone unnecessarily in trouble!

We do appreciate you on here and again, it is good to have someone that helps create the movies we enjoy here on the forum! My DVD & BlueRay collection probably has several of your contributions (!

BTW, Terry Crews' AA12 in The Expendables should have been credited as an extra character in the cast! That made me grin ear to ear when he wiped out the room full of baddies! But know that it would have sucked without your awesome sound efforts to differentiate it from the other gunfire!

BTW, Terry Crews' AA12 in The Expendables should have been credited as an extra character in the cast! That made me grin ear to ear when he wiped out the room full of baddies! But know that it would have sucked without your awesome sound efforts to differentiate it from the other gunfire!

Too funny! That weapon was one of the guns that the guy I work with cut. I was only able to be on Expendables for the first few cuts (maybe four or five weeks iirc) because I began a different show that had to finish up on basically the same timeframe. I did a bunch of the damage effects for that one in the last reel or so, but the gun sound for that was done my my very talented colleague. Everybody loved it! I put all this time into those guns and everybody loves that AA12, heh heh. Oh well, reminds me of how I got called out on here for cutting a machine gun type composite effect for the Saiga-12 in Gamer. A well-deserved criticism, I might add!

hi soundFX. very cool stuff there. i dont know if im going to watch conan or not. i am worried about them remaking my fav movie and fucking it up. that director has ruined a few in my opinion.

one movie that cracks me about bad sound effects is Spider Man 2 (which i'm glad you didnt list). the part where harry has spider man bound in barbed wire; he has a knife in his hand. every movement of the knife against the air or his fingertips has the knife "shiiing" noise. knives on air make noise?!! it is just so over done on sound effects, its retarded. i do like the movie overall though.

I am sure you have tons of cool stories, but one of the things on the Expendables DVD special features that made my wife and I cringe was when Sly was using his 1911's to direct people where to be and what to do...

"You (pointing the muzzle at their face) need to come here and do this, and you (pointing the muzzle at someone else's face) come in and fall over here."

And he has a CCW! :eek:

There are a LOT of hollywood hypocrites when it comes to guns. Believe me. I used to hang out at a gun store here constantly before my buddy's suicide. They're worse than most gun stores, because the ignorant in this town have TONS of cash, and that as a business you can't call them out for who / what they are.

Edited by SoundFX