Ebay is probably going to be your best bet if you are seeking original US Government MRE's. The products you see being sold as MRE's are not true milspec, but are foods assembled and packaged for emergencies. If I had more information on what your end goal is, I could provide you with additional information. I have been assembling foods for long term storage and have learned a few things along the way. See links I have attached for additional information.

http://www.mreinfo.com/

http://www.mreinfo.c...y-auctions.html

http://survivalacres...ation/mres.html

Good luck and be prepared,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Yakdung, thanks for the links, the last website you listed is giving me second thoughts on going with MREs for my food storage needs.

I have purchased freeze dried Mountain House (US Company) meal pouches from Walmart. The Mylar foil pouches have up to a seven year shelf life if stored properly. Walmart has the best price on these if you can find them in your area. I also utilize 90mil food grade buckets with Gamma lids to store my food. Gamma lids are wonderful as you can unscrew the top to access the contents and they stack very well. Also, It seems Walmart is starting to meet the demands of the emergency food market in certain parts of the country like the Northwest. I utilize a vacuum sealer and a food dehydrator to prep some foods for long term storage. A food dehydrator will allow you to make your own meals then dehydrate them for emergency situations. Pouch food and MRE foods are only good for short term 2-7 years. Number 10 cans of dehydrated food are the best and can have shelf life up to 30 years. Think in terms of a layered system. Long term, short term and immediate access. Take action before the herd starts and you will be ahead of the game. Also don't forget about water storage. Check Youtube as this a great resource. Hope this helps.

Gamma lids:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=08J89mM52T8

Be safe and prepared,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Mountain House is Goooood stuff!

Also, don't just sock it away and forget about it. Use it (slowly) and replace. First in, first out.

Good point. I write the date I purchase on the pouches with a sharpie and then create a spreadsheet with the inventory. That way I know what I have in storage. I like to keep a wide variety and also to prevent Appetite Fatigue.

Be safe,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

What meals have you tried from mountain house and enjoyed?

Beef stew, spaghetti and meat sauce chicken breast and potato. If you look around Youtube, there are folks that taste test these. I would recommend to test drive a few to see what your preference is. I have between 50 and 60 of these double meal pouches and freeze dried ice cream sandwiches. I had to travel to about six to seven Walmart's to determine which stores had the best inventory. I can now tell you which stores have the largest selection and best inventory. Also, Walmart has free "ship to store" if you can find it on their website. Also, another resource for number 10 cans are the Mormons. I have not done this, but if you check the Mormon website and try determine if and where there is an LDS cannery store is located in your area I would do that as well. No one can touch their costs. Number 10 cans are the best bulk food for long term storage.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

http://www.americanp...hp?f=124&t=4537

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/cannedfoodstorage.aspx

Good luck,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Yakdung, or anyone else, my Costco has buckets of emergency food by Food For Health International. 200 servings for $67. It says it has a 20 year shelf life. I think it's something like 3 meals to a pouch. Are you familiar with this product? Any opinions?

Yakdung, or anyone else, my Costco has buckets of emergency food by Food For Health International. 200 servings for $67. It says it has a 20 year shelf life. I think it's something like 3 meals to a pouch. Are you familiar with this product? Any opinions?

Sorry I'm not familiar with the Health International folks. I'm a little leery until I can determine the source and track record of the food chain. Take a look at the second link I posted above about the LDS folks. This is for long term food storage of essentials. I think I will check into the emergency meals at Costco.

Good luck,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

well me and a few others i know can lots of things in house. i find it to have a much better shelf life than things that are made in a factory. or at least without the added shit chemicals directly. canned foods usually will last a long while, but not like an mre.

fwiw, during my time in the service, an mre tastes like fuckin space food. lol. but itll keep you alive and you wont shit for a month. :smoke:

Try this one www.thereadystore.com We where buying the mountain house freeze dried #10 cans from them, until they dried up. They have another line of freeze dried stuff, but watch out for the "TVP" stuff, it ain't real meat, unless you don't care. They have MRE's and lot's of stuff, their canned water is over priced, I found the site of the producer and ordered a few cases from them for about 1/2 price, also have a Big Berkey water purifier, since we have a small pond on the back corner of our property, and the river is only about 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies.

On another note, this past Sunday night, I was hungry, the wife was tired, and for shits and giggles, I pulled out one of the MRE's that we bought from sportsmansguide, it was the sliced beef in sauce, something like that, added the water to the heater, placed it in the bag, let it get HOT, put it over a piece of bread and that stuff was GOOD. Kind of reminded me of what my father referred to as "shit on a shingle" from when he was in Korea.

Check out sportsmansguide, ctd, and I think another one is mredepot.com

Someone posted this last year, you can order samples. Was very good when cooked up. Just remember that you have to have water and be able to boil it. I have MRE's and the efoods stuff to mix it up a little. Too much of any one source of food is not good for you.