Just picked up a Rock River Arms LAR-15 pistol in 5.56

I'm not familiar with the pistol versions, but I just got their Tactical Operator2 and I love it! My only beef is that their free-float system is not easily removable. My concern was that I will be unable to clean the gas tube/block effectively, but from what I've seen and heard, this will not be an issue for a long time. I know a few people who own RRA AR's now, and everyone is very satisfied with them. The only complaint I can recall was that the receiver pins are very tight and typically require a punch or similar tool to drift them out. Not exactly a problem, IMO. I think it looks pretty cool, dude! :up: I've toyed with the idea of getting one, so let us know how she works for you.

Got it slightly pre loved. By the looks of the feed ramps and chamber I don't even think it's had 500 rounds through it. Gotta post up solid with it due to it's sensitivity to "limp wristing". Found some light metal flakes while cleaning, does that mean it's still breaking in?

Does it have the RRA two stage trigger? I'm not familiar with RRA pistols but I do have one Entry Tactical with that trigger and it has been a great rifle. It's not the pins themselves that are tight. It's the tight fit between the upper and lower that makes the pins tight.

Does it have the RRA two stage trigger? I'm not familiar with RRA pistols but I do have one Entry Tactical with that trigger and it has been a great rifle. It's not the pins themselves that are tight. It's the tight fit between the upper and lower that makes the pins tight.

Yeah, the pins. The rear pin is the pain in the ass. Once you get it drifted out (I employ a plastic chop stick for this) you just rock the upper forward and the front pin slides right out with little effort. I think the pistols have a standard 2 stage trigger, not sure if it's the RRA 2 stage set up. Trigger action is fairly crisp with just a hint of creep. :chef:

I think RRA has the longest LOP cheat stock/buffer tube. Get a 6.8 upper to see that SOB really shine.

It is a pretty long buffer tube in comparison to other AR pistols, for me a major plus! 6.8? Whoa, well I've heard a saying round these parts "anyone worth shooting is worth setting on fire". :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Yeah, the pins. The rear pin is the pain in the ass. Once you get it drifted out (I employ a plastic chop stick for this) you just rock the upper forward and the front pin slides right out with little effort. I think the pistols have a standard 2 stage trigger, not sure if it's the RRA 2 stage set up. Trigger action is fairly crisp with just a hint of creep. :chef:

That tight fit between the two receivers is on purpose. New generation Sun Devil lowers actually have a set screw to accomplish the same results. As far as I know, RRA only makes one two stage trigger. A lot of people talk shit about them but there are a bunch of guys who use them in their builds. I like it as well as the "Star" safety selector.

That tight fit between the two receivers is on purpose. New generation Sun Devil lowers actually have a set screw to accomplish the same results. As far as I know, RRA only makes one two stage trigger. A lot of people talk shit about them but there are a bunch of guys who use them in their builds. I like it as well as the "Star" safety selector.

The star selector is a very nice feature. I feel a solid engagement with my thumb when going hot or safing the weapon, no slip at all.

Edited by hawk-ics
  • 2 weeks later...

i know its considered a pistol but ive held one and the buffer tube can be easily shouldered.... lol i havnt shot a pistol version but AR's dont have much recoil so i dont see a physical problem with shouldering the buffer tube but can you get in trouble for doing that?

i know its considered a pistol but ive held one and the buffer tube can be easily shouldered.... lol i havnt shot a pistol version but AR's dont have much recoil so i dont see a physical problem with shouldering the buffer tube but can you get in trouble for doing that?

It's not intended to be fired from the shoulder - so it isn't a rifle. How you use it is up to you. If you make a special vest with a slot for the buffer tube to slide into to shoulder it, they might consider that use the creation of a buttstock, could be in felony territory.

I have two .223s an Entry tactical and Predator pursuit midlength. One .308 LAR-8 w/DD rail and a 9mm(6inch barrel w /supressor and a second upper that is 10.5 inches) and I have NEVER had an issue with any of them other than the bolt release is different on the LAR-8 (like an FAL). For a regular gas system I believe they can't be beat!

Congrats and enjoy!

Edited by Smoke Eater
  • 3 weeks later...

I think RRA has the longest LOP cheat stock/buffer tube. Get a 6.8 upper to see that SOB really shine.

It is a pretty long buffer tube in comparison to other AR pistols, for me a major plus! 6.8? Whoa, well I've heard a saying round these parts "anyone worth shooting is worth setting on fire". :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Nah, man, 6.8 is where it's at. I don't believe it was designed specifically for ultra short barrels, maybe to add so knockdown power to a 14.5" M4, but as it turned out, it only needs like 8" to kick ass from inside an elevator out to 300 or so, and has penetrative qualities on par with 7.62x39 or better. Grinds up vehicles, punches most body armor and urban cover and just in general makes the heaviest .223 load out of a 20", 1:7 barrel still look like a varmint cartridge. So in a way, with urban operations the way of the future, this micro assault rifle tops full carbine sized rifles, as well as really sticks it to the PDW class of weapons by offering close penetrative ability but totally ups the trauma level over their hat pin

wounds (or of the SS109 from a short barrel). And could be the last nail in the coffin of the submachine gun except for limited special purposes (use with cans and subsonic, and .223 ammo selection already features low penetration rounds, but I imagine there is 6.8 SPC stuff out there that goes in 12 inches and stops on a dime). Like I said, I'm no fan of the AR but recognize something with huge potential and versatility when I see it. A baby 6.8 with stock and a good flash (either FSC or something like the Noveske KX3 ot PWS CQB to keep the fire following the bullet and an Aimpoint, with a piston, damn, that and a 1.5- 8x scoped .308 MBR (we'll say a Scar 17, as long as this is just mental masturbation) together could do anything you could ask of a rifle as a weapon.

I don't get excited about new guns, or cartridges, ever. SBR 6.8s have a hell of a lot going for them, so does that Scar 17. They could overlap quite a bit, even do each other's job to an extent, but two of the most capable weapons available. Seriously, if you have a shorty AR, try to give the 6.8 a day in court. Best thing going in a truly compact weapon. Some require expensive premium ammo, just train mostly with the .223, stick the 6.8 top when keeping it ready for trouble and serious training. Don't know how it affects longevity of the gun. but they said that about .40s. Seriously, I'm not one for accessorizing, or switching to an oddball caliber, but I think the 6.8 brings enough to the table I would have to say goodbye to .223 except cheap plinking.

i also think the 6.5 grendel (like a short action .260, IIRC it beats out even .308 far out in trajectory, BC/SD, transonic range, all that, I'm pretty sure, needs a long barrel but only a AR-15 lower, not AR-10, still not common or inexpensive at all and i'd stick with .308) and .458 Socom/.50 Beowulf (those and maybe 450 Bushy were the only to really last the big bore AR fad, sort of like a hot .45/70, shotgun slug, and Smith X frame supermag rolled into one, but anyway, one hell of a car killer and I bet most beasts of this earth with a hard cast bullet within its range) are interesting, but I think the 6.8 in a micro assault rifle, "subcarbine" has great potential and capabilities for one small gun

Edited by Steppe Sweeper