Opinions on what kind of AK to get and from where

Well you have lots of choices. First the caliber. You've got the 2 original calibers in 7.62 and 5.45. Both have their advantages and disadvantages when it comes to price, availability, choices, penetrations..... there are also 223 and 308 models.

Next is what you want from it. They can be cheap beaters like WASRs or can cost thousands. Essentially they are all about the same. Most shoot a solid 2-3moa. WASRs main problems was/is that they can have canted gas blocks, sights and possible "more" mag wobble then most. Because they come in single stack and have their mag well opened up here. But they are still solid guns. They also make a very nice milled Polish AK.

WASRs are a good way to get your feet wet in the AK world. Your initial investment was not much. On the other hand other manufacturers are easier to sell.

If you like to tinker you can convert a saiga. Here the cost comes down to how expansive you want to get with stuff like handguards, stocks, .....accessories. Personally I don't like this option. I like to buy the complete product.

Arsenal makes a fine rifle but they are expansive. Another good one is the chinese MAK90. They are solid built rifles, having a 1.6 millimeter reciever vs the standard 1 millimeter found on most AKs. Their triggers are the best I've shot. But 922 law comes into play with them if you wish to remove the thumb hole stock. You can find them converted for not much more then a WASR.

There are plenty of other builders who make a quality AK. you just have to figure out the caliber and style you like. Fixed or folding stock. What type of folding stock. Furniture wood or plastic. I have both and like both but prefer the feel and weight of wood.

I have 2 in 7.62x39. A Bulgarian sbr and a Mak90. A saiga 308. And a Chinese/Russian/Bulgarian mutt in 5.45. If I had to only keep one. I would probably keep the Mak90. It was cheap, well built, accurate. But I wouldn't want to part with any

If we can work something out, I have a few you can try to get an idea of what you like.

ETA Try to avoid IO inc & Lancaster arms ( not from Pa) Lancaster use to make quality products But lately they've been lagging In the quality and customer service. IO have more trouble than not

Edited by Arik
  • Like 1

Veprs are very high quality firearms. They are somewhat limited with options but are fairly nice out of the box.

I really like .308s so my opinion of the other calibers is somewhat skewed.

A professional Saiga conversion is probably the best deal right now. Or shop the used market for a good condition Romanian G build, or MAK90.

IAC built AKs seem like a good deal at Atlantic Firearms.

I'm looking for 7.62 and I saw a few at Atlantic firearms that I liked my favorite one they have is the Tactical for $599 not sure if that is a high price or not the only ones i found cheaper are WASR's and I don't want to buy a POS or one that is a "throw away "gun.

Edited by pony_express1973

I'm looking into getting an AK-47 not sure which one to get i don't have any expierence with them(unless you count my S-12) any opnions one which one., WASR , Arsenal or others any info would be helpfull

For about the same money as a top of the line Arsenal you can get a custom Saiga professionally done. You can make a really gorgeous AK with a Saiga with either wood or composite that will rival just about any other AK. Case in point:

1000177v.jpg

Arsenals are nice for an out of the box mass produced AK but a custom AK just says it. If SBRs are legal where you are, do consider a SBR AK. Tons of fun!

I'm looking into getting an AK-47 not sure which one to get i don't have any expierence with them(unless you count my S-12) any opnions one which one., WASR , Arsenal or others any info would be helpfull

For about the same money as a top of the line Arsenal you can get a custom Saiga professionally done. You can make a really gorgeous AK with a Saiga with either wood or composite that will rival just about any other AK. Case in point:

1000177v.jpg

Arsenals are nice for an out of the box mass produced AK but a custom AK just says it. If SBRs are legal where you are, do consider a SBR AK. Tons of fun!

damn, that sbr AK is beautiful. i wish i could put a skeleton stock on my draco, or better yet, buy a second draco and put the skeleton stock on that to keep the other in pistol configuration.

as for the original topic, WASRs can be good rifles, you just have to get one that doesnt have canted sights or gas block. its best if you can inspect the rifle before you buy it rather than ordering online. it would suck to buy a rifle thats got all kinds of problems with it. its probably likely that if you buy a saiga online it will be in good condition. unconverted 7.63x39 saigas are relatively inexpensive. basic conversion kit on it, and youl have a damn nice AK.

Edited by Cali_Armz

1000177v.jpg

damn, that sbr AK is beautiful. i wish i could put a skeleton stock on my draco, or better yet, buy a second draco and put the skeleton stock on that to keep the other in pistol configuration.

as for the original topic, WASRs can be good rifles, you just have to get one that doesnt have canted sights or gas block. its best if you can inspect the rifle before you buy it rather than ordering online. it would suck to buy a rifle thats got all kinds of problems with it. its probably likely that if you buy a saiga online it will be in good condition. unconverted 7.63x39 saigas are relatively inexpensive. basic conversion kit on it, and youl have a damn nice AK.

I definitely agree about the WASRs. I have seen some run like a sewing machine and if they were assembled right, they run just as good as any mass produced AK. While they do come with a rougher finish they can clean up rather nicely.

thats very true man, WASR's can be great. i ordered one online about a year ago, and it has absolutely no problems with it. a little red stain on the wood furniture and the thing would look beautiful, although i still need to get around to doing that ph34r.gif

• 3 weeks later...