conversion in CC TX

Im new here in Saiga land, and have a question. Ive been interested in guns for about a year now, and after watching Sons of Guns have discovered and am about to acquire my first S12. Its been on layaway for a month, and I will be picking up my brand new, way overpriced(don't laugh - $900.00 - its worth it), S12 in 2 weeks. Now before anyone drops the hammer on me, I have utilized the search feature to no success. Ive been reading and studying, it seems, for a month now on this site and am very impressed by the wealth of knowledge available. Having said that, my question is: Being that I'm new to the S12 world, and don't have the time/experience to do so myself, is anyone here aware of an individual or business that does S12 conversions in Corpus Christi Texas? I would prefer a top notch job, else id do it myself. I'm really exited about this new toy and don't want it to explode in my face. I'm planning on ordering all the requisite parts myself if that's any help. I appreciate any assistance.

Edited by fataleffekt

Im new here in Saiga land, and have a question. Ive been interested in guns for about a year now, and after watching Sons of Guns have discovered and am about to acquire my first S12. Its been on layaway for a month, and I will be picking up my brand new, way overpriced(don't laugh - $900.00 - its worth it), S12 in 2 weeks. Now before anyone drops the hammer on me, I have utilized the search feature to no success. Ive been reading and studying, it seems, for a month now on this site and am very impressed by the wealth of knowledge available. Having said that, my question is: Being that I'm new to the S12 world, and don't have the time/experience to do so myself, is anyone here aware of an individual or business that does S12 conversions in Corpus Christi Texas? I would prefer a top notch job, else id do it myself. I'm really exited about this new toy and don't want it to explode in my face. I'm planning on ordering all the requisite parts myself if that's any help. I appreciate any assistance.

Contact Tac47(forum sponsor) in Houston for a top notch job.

Edited by Jetmech
  • Like 1

PDQ Inc. in CC. I have a S12 they converted and it is GTG. I don't believe they do any function or reliability service so it still needs to be broken in when you get it but to me they do a more than satisfactory job on the conversion. I can't remember everything they do but I know they align the gas block for sure which is important to me. Post #777 here in the picture thread isn't mine but looks almost exactly like mine and was converted by PDQ. Google search for them making sure to include "PDQ" and "Corpus Christi" and talk to them. I see them at the SAXET shows all the time and despite hearing other wise they are always more than happy to shoot the shit and answer any questions I have even after asking the same thing over and over every show lol

I tried him, and apparently he has relocated to New Mexico. I feel all alone in Saiga land.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Lone Star Arms? I just got 1 of my S12s back from Tac47 in the past month and they were still in Houston then

I bought my S-12 from PDQ . I asked if gun ran . Was told they had no problems when test firing it . Definitely not my experience, low brass and high brass , nothing worked . I had Keith and Cliff from TAC-47 work on it . Now it eats everything . Take it to TAC-47.

In the time it would take you to test fire it with various types of ammo, and determine just what it is the gun may need (even though it sometimes sounds as if all S12's come from Russia with many problems, there are and have been good ones that needed nothing to make them work properly)...and research the many different accessories to personalize your gun to fit your own needs here on the forum, and looking at the many different vendors and their services and wares...

You could procure the tools, and learn, to convert two Saiga 12's yourself.

Edited by PJJ
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to the Saxet show this weekend here in Corpus, well Robstown and met with the guys at PDQ. They were very friendly and informative, and had two S-12's already converted. They looked awsome and they only wanted 1200. The had folding stocks, custom door breachers, Fugly stick hand guard and I was told they had been gutted and all new inside. I think I am sold.

I would advise you to slow down on your decision. A basic conversion is very simple and the parts are cheap. There are many great gun smiths out there, however, I think you would be better off dealing with someonw who specializes in the S-12. Take some time and read the forum, the S-12 is a very unique gun and very few people would know all the complexities of this gun. I can convert a gun and add a folding stock, muzzle brake, rail system, and anything else. Hell I could even mount a chainsaw on an S-12, What I can't do is make your gun run like a Ferrari like the experts in the business section of this forum can. If you do jump on that deal, why don't you show up at their shop with a 100rd pack of Federal target loads, if it fires them, buy it, if not save your money and have an expert work on your gun.

EDIT: all converted guns have new parts inside, this is due to 922r compliance, the problems come primarily from the gas ports, gas block, and the need for custom polishing. Read the above posts again, did someone have a problem from them and say another vendor had to fix it for them?:ph34r:

Edited by HOG76

I went to the Saxet show this weekend here in Corpus, well Robstown and met with the guys at PDQ. They were very friendly and informative, and had two S-12's already converted. They looked awsome and they only wanted 1200. The had folding stocks, custom door breachers, Fugly stick hand guard and I was told they had been gutted and all new inside. I think I am sold.

Did PDQ test fire the weapon after conversion? There are some shops that convert, but the weapons still have reliability issues afterwards.

Are the holes filled, and blended,or are they just filled with nylon plugs?

I did mine myself with a kit from Carolina Shooter's Supply, a hammer, a Dremel, and a Klein 11-in-1 screwdriver.

I drifted my gas block and reamed the three ports out to 3/32 and with a V-plug (so I could change gas settings without tools) I could run whatever I wanted to shoot all day everyday as long as I kept the gas block clean (dump out the chunks every 300-400 rounds).

Seriously, you can buy one for $569, convert it yourself for around $250 and STILL not be in as much as you are right now...

the-more-you-know.jpg

Get the gun 1st then shoot it.

I got my st S 12 two weeks ago and it ran fine accept the el-cheapo wally world stuff.

So I polished the bolt it ran better but not right. So I did it again this time along with the polish I reprofiled the hammer very lightly.

the bolt carrier bottom and the side with the charging handle. Gun is stock and now eats everything...

(on page two or three here you will see my 1st post and two vids of it eating win and fed low brass)

total time was 1hour on the work and two 1/2 hour rides (round trip) to the range.

One poster here even hooked me up with the "right" way for me to chop my own barrel and thread it.

Of course this isn't my 1st gun either I have some NFA transferable stuff. and am a long time shooter/hunter...

Then again if you must send it off by all means do so.

ME?

I can't stand to have a gun out of my possesion once it's mine so I do all my own work when I can. My gunsmith is 10 minutes up the road to do what I can't with a fast return time when I really do need a lathe or mill.

PDQ might not do any reliability or polishing service to make the shotgun run better but they also don't do anything to it to make it run any worse. They do definitely align the gas block and open up/add the gas ports if needed, which would only improve the shotgun's performance if done so it isn't like the shotgun is a piece of crap because PDQ converted it, it is a piece of crap because it probably came like that from the factory. They aren't experts or known for their superior craftsmanship but they also aren't as expensive nor no where near as long as the wait as someone who is. There is a trade off on both sides for picking someone like them or Tromix. If you buy from them and your shotgun doesn't eat everything you feed it, there are more then enough threads in this forum to read and help you to get it running right IMO, worst case scenario you are sending the bolt and bolt carrier to Pauly which you probably are gonna want to do one day either way.

Edited by Molive

PDQ Inc. in CC. I have a S12 they converted and it is GTG. I don't believe they do any function or reliability service so it still needs to be broken in when you get it but to me they do a more than satisfactory job on the conversion.

For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would spend money for a job that doesn't include the important things. S'ok if all you want is cosmetic work so you can have a pretty gun. I want more than that for my money, much, much more.

fataleffekt, If you're spending $900 on a new, untouched S12, you're getting hosed. :ded:

I've only been in to guns for about 2 and a half years, mostly on the shoot side cause I worked at a range. Only really did field stripping to clean now and then. I was on here for about a month before I registered and bought an S12. I got a dremel and ordered parts on CSS. Converting isn't as scary as it seems bud, ya just gotta think about it in steps and break it down to what it actually is. The most "gun smithing" you do is cut the rivets on the trigger guard, a lil grinding on the new hammer. Everything else is drop in parts and touch up paint. You can do it, I believe in you :)

First, after researching this forum, Im definitely not paying anyone 900 dollars for a stock S-12. You guys have already taught me better. Ill even admit that I put down $200 dollars, but will not not give them the rest just for my own peace of mind. I already knew they wouldnt refund the down payment, but the sad part is that I spoke to the manager about maybe some store credit(my girl wants a walther pk380) and he said no way. They are perfectly content with legally jacking me. I will try once more with the owner, if not, well thats just bad business. thats my sad story.

Secondly, the guys at PDQ told me that any polishing would just be removing metal, and not a good idea. How much truth is in this statement? I believe they gave a little more elaboration, but ive been drinking alot tonight and cant remember much. They said they ran 10 rds through it and its GTG. I suppose ill have to take their word for it. Thanks you guys for your reply's, ill definitely have some questions when I talk to them in a couple of days. By then ill have the money to procure almost anything I want. I did try getting a quote from one of the big boys in this game, but its been well over a week and im getting inpatient. The guys at PDQ are in town and already have the s12 ready. No wait. Man, I really want to do it myself, but with full time school and full time work, I can hardly find time to clean my guns. Maybe after I get this first one, Ill be able to use it as a guide and do my second one myself. I dont have an S12 and am already addicted. Decisions decisions.

PDQ Inc. in CC. I have a S12 they converted and it is GTG. I don't believe they do any function or reliability service so it still needs to be broken in when you get it but to me they do a more than satisfactory job on the conversion.

For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would spend money for a job that doesn't include the important things. S'ok if all you want is cosmetic work so you can have a pretty gun. I want more than that for my money, much, much more.

fataleffekt, If you're spending $900 on a new, untouched S12, you're getting hosed. :ded:

To me first and foremost the most important part is aligning the gas block and opening up or adding gas ports as needed and I already mentioned that they did that. Next in importance to me was conversion, they did that too. I'm the kind of guy who prefers to try and "break it in" before going the polishing route and mine functions fine and eats everything now after said "breaking in" so what important part am I missing? As far as polishing, they don't do it so I didn't pay for it. I understand if I paid extra for it and they didn't do it but its not like I could have sent it to Tromix or TAC47 and got them to do all the above plus a polishing and reliability service for the exact same cost, on the contrary Tromix and TAC47 would have charged me more for the exact same services they provided and take 3x as long at least.

Edited by Molive

To me first and foremost the most important part is aligning the gas block and opening up or adding gas ports as needed and I already mentioned that they did that. Next in importance to me was conversion, they did that too. I'm the kind of guy who prefers to try and "break it in" before going the polishing route and mine functions fine and eats everything now after said "breaking in" so what important part am I missing? As far as polishing, they don't do it so I didn't pay for it. I understand if I paid extra for it and they didn't do it but its not like I could have sent it to Tromix or TAC47 and got them to do all the above plus a polishing and reliability service for the exact same cost, on the contrary Tromix and TAC47 would have charged me more for the exact same services they provided and take 3x as long at least.

Yes, I read your post right the first time. I had to go back and check. I guess, to me, function and reliability come first. This can be attained with a factory configured (sporting) gun. I'm the type of guy who needs to verify that the gas block is indeed canted, and that the ports need doing BEFORE actually having someone do a port job (or in my case, doing it myself).

As you have mentioned, there are many good threads on the forum that well define the procedures necessary to do most of these function and reliability mods yourself. It is truly up the the individual to either know and trust his ability to do his own work or pay someone to do it for him. Regardless of that, a gun that looks pretty but does not function is not worth a damn.

Yes, I read your post right the first time. I had to go back and check. I guess, to me, function and reliability come first. This can be attained with a factory configured (sporting) gun. I'm the type of guy who needs to verify that the gas block is indeed canted, and that the ports need doing BEFORE actually having someone do a port job (or in my case, doing it myself).

As you have mentioned, there are many good threads on the forum that well define the procedures necessary to do most of these function and reliability mods yourself. It is truly up the the individual to either know and trust his ability to do his own work or pay someone to do it for him. Regardless of that, a gun that looks pretty but does not function is not worth a damn.

Sorry, I assumed that you would understand checking to see if the gas block needs to be aligned or any gas ports opened/added before it was actually done was a given. I'm sure these guys don't do any extra work they don't have to. And I put that at the top of the list because no matter how much function and reliability or polishing services are done to the shotgun, if the gas block is misaligned or the ports are obstructed/missing, then the shotgun more than likely still isn't going to perform correctly.

Do you mind me asking what store had the $900 price tag? I live in San Antonio but i'm from Corpus and go there frequently and i'm very familiar with most of the shops there. I just finished my conversion with parts from CSS and it turned out fantastic. Takes patients, and the right tools. If you ever come up to san antonio, there's a shop that sell's S12's for $699 brand new and has quite a few on hand. You could probably haggle to get the price lower, but i was happy to see them sitting there i paid what they had on the tag lol. Get the part's from CSS and your still below $900 for a converted Saiga. The money you saved can go towards getting the gun to run reliably if needed. Maybe next time i'm in town, you can take a look at my conversion and see if its something you would want to do yourself or i could give you a hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: i went to modern pawn and spoke with the manager. He was cool and agreed to transfer my down payment without any problems. Very professional and quite a nice guy. To make a long story short, my girl has herself a brand new walther pk380. She loves it by the way.

More importantly, I purchased my very first S12 from PDQ. Its awesome by the way. I put 125 round of high brass through it today. I did have some FTE through a 12 round mag. Don't know why. I'm sure I'll find the answers on the site somewhere.

Update: i went to modern pawn and spoke with the manager. He was cool and agreed to transfer my down payment without any problems. Very professional and quite a nice guy. To make a long story short, my girl has herself a brand new walther pk380. She loves it by the way.

More importantly, I purchased my very first S12 from PDQ. Its awesome by the way. I put 125 round of high brass through it today. I did have some FTE through a 12 round mag. Don't know why. I'm sure I'll find the answers on the site somewhere.

What kind of ammo, what kind of mag and which rounds? The first, middle, last rounds? 12 round mags have been known not to have a strong enough spring and can sometimes cause this in the last few rounds