I hear people discussing SHTF preparedness and stocking up on ammo, medical supplies, food, water, etc.. I'd like to get a box of these items together "just in case". I'm not looking for a 10 year supply of food and water that will take up half of my garage. I have a big box that I'm willing to use and store these items in for the unlikely case that there is a SHTF situation here. I think a lot of people are in a similar situation where they want to be prepared but either dont feel like they have the storage space or dont know what to put in it. On to my questions...

What items are in your SHTF kit? Assume I'm staying in the home and not traveling.

1) When you say "food" what food do you mean? What's the longest lasting/best food to store? Also be specific (IE: Instead of saying "grains" say "brown rice vacuum sealed - bought at Cabela's" or something like that.)

2) How much medical supplies, and what medical supplies, and how long does that last?

3) How much water?

4) Lastly, what do you store your SHTF kit (for home fortification) in?

1. canned all the way, find good cans of just basic stuff, corn, potatoes, fruits, chef boyardee even, as long as there are not any dents and the can is not bulging it is safe to eat. One can from the smithsonian dating back 108 years and was fed to an animal with no ill side effects. allthough dry grain would be good as long as it is in a cool dry place. would not hurt to get some basic gardening tools and seeds just too throw something fresh in every now and again, and get a freezer that in shtf is invaluable you can store meat or whatever you want.

2. basic stuff like alchohol, hydrogen peroxide, neosporin, bandaids and ace bandages with gauze, rubber tubing for turnequet, exacto knife, sewing thread and couple of needles. pain killers, anti-biotics if you have them, maybe some cold and flu stuff, I also keep E-mergen-c which is a powder drink mix that boosts your immune system hugely and you can get 50 or so packets for cheap. these are just the basics in my opinion have several other things on my list.

3. 5 cases of 25 bottles plus 1 pound of pool shock at 73% for dilluting to bleach to purify water with coffee filters for filtering out big particles.with pool shock you can purify water anytime it stays good a long time.

4. I store mine in a lockable cabinet for food medical and water, ammunition goes under my bed inside my box spring.

• Like 2

Find a local LDS site that cans food. They sell to the public in #10 cans that last 30 years. When storing any type of food, heat is the enemy and shortens shelf life. I would suggest storing food and supplies in 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids. Buckets stack about 5 high and access to contents is easy with lids that spin off. I have several red buckets and lids designated for medical supplies only. I grew up and was raised in hurricane country and was taught by my father to always be prepared. Remember, this was taught to me before everyone and their brother ran to the government for help. See thread below on MRE's.

http://intelligentli...y-pack-cannery/

http://www.provident...-4352-1,00.html

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/68426-good-source-for-mres/page__p__662392__hl__%2Bfood+%2Bstorage__fromsearch__1#entry662392

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

A big +1 to Dashowdy. He really covered the essentials in my opinion.

But to add...

MRE's and the dried stuff they sell at gunshows and Copes have expiration dates within 10 years typically, but can be safe to eat long after that if stored properly. If you camp and enjoy the flavors of these foods, then you can slowly cycle through them over time and keep a fresh stock.

Regarding Canned foods: Fatty foods (typically meats and meat products) have the highest amount of energy where vegetables are mostly water and are much lower in calories. A good compromise is canned fruit in heavy syrup since the added sugar will give you more calories for the same weight. Chili and cream based soups can be high in calories and give a larger spectrum of nutrients. Expect to burn 3,000 calories+ per day if you are mobile.

Stockpiling salt for preparing meats and as an essential nutrient is a good idea and it is very cheap. If you are in a desert like I am, salt is hard to find in nature other than in the blood and organs of animals.

Regarding the gardening stuff, corn and sunflowers are full of nutrients, are high in calories and are easy to grow. A few seeds and a water source can sustain you for a long time if you have to live off the land. Potatoes are another great energy and nutrient source, but you can keep one growing in the side of the yard to spread out later.

Fire starting stuff is essential as well. A bottle of butane and a few lighters and flints will go a long time before you run out. Trioxane and fuel for fire starting in wet weather is essential too. Matches and Bear Grylls' flint thing are great, but take calm dry conditions to be effective. Propane stoves and several bottles are easily transported and can be used to purify water through distillation or boiling.

A few extra pair of wool socks might be a good idea too!

THIS IS MORE FOR IF YOU PLAN TO HUNKER DOWN IN YOUR HOME, not so much if you plan on bugging out.

But, you should be prepared to leave if needs be.

Our plans are for natural disasters, major economic collapse and a moderate level of civil unrest.

Not for major SHTF or TEOTWAWKI

The best way to lay away food storage is to always buy a extra can(s) of whatever your buying normally, getting one, no, get two, and one goes into storage. It adds up very quickly.

Date your cans and rotate stock.

We have a very well stocked pantry, can prepare two squares and a snack for approx 2-3 months without shopping.

Going to make it a year's worth before the end of the year.

We now have our year's food storage!

I strongly urge all everyone to acquire at least a 3 month supply.

I'm not talking MREs, freeze dried meals and such, save those for the BoBs.

I mean real food stuffs, the ingredients to prepare full meals.

Meals that you eat now, or start planning new realistic menus with long shelf life ingredients that you will readily eat and enjoy.

Balanced nutritious meals and beverages.

Don't forget your vegetable gardens and fruit trees.

Learn how to store and can what you grow.

Things are going to get worse, much worse, be prepared.

Do not find yourself one of the masses desperately searching for scarce, astronomically priced, food for your family.

LDS or not, some great food storage info and links, that we have followed and modified to fit our needs/abilities.

http://lds.about.com...storagewhat.htm

Like I said before, store what you will eat, lots of long shelf life non-perishables.

Everything will get used in rotation.

Anything subject to moisture and/or going rancid is store in airtight containers with desiccant.

............................... OK, here goes my MTS :lol: ...........................................................

whole white/brown rice, corn & wheat (yes we have a grinder)

beans (pintos, blackeyes, black, and lima

(properly stored these ^^^ can last 20+years)

flour/corn meal, grits, pancake mix

pastas

baking powder & yeast

cooking oils, shortening

sugar, salt & a wide assortment of other spices.

Condiments, mustard, mayo, ketchup, BBQ and etc

Honey & cane syrup

Powdered eggs & milk

mac & cheese & other cook & serve box mixes

Canned goods... Can you say Dinty Moore stew/soups, I love'em.

Soups of all kinds, cremes of mushroom/celery, chile and etc

Canned/potted meats, chicken, tuna, hash and etc

Vegetables & fruits of all kinds

And we've the everyday host of just all the crap you find in a large family's pantry.

Along with well stocked 2door fridge/freezer, and well stocked 13+ cubic foot chest freezer.

And yes, for your real emergencies or bugging out... Acquire some MREs or other high quality freeze dried foods.

Flats of bottled water, buy the larger sized bottles jugs.

You can also fill containers of all types, then add a bit of bleach.

You'll need more than you think, besides drinking there is cooking and washing to be done.

Good quality filters, like for camping/hiking, buy one for each member of the family.

And have filter refills.

Store in a cool, low light area.)

Body & laundry soap, deodorant, t.paper, p.towels, bleach.

Soap/shampoo will be as valuable a trade good as liquor/tobacco/ammo.

First Aid, either buy or assemble a first aid kit that'd make a Corpsman smile in appreciation.

Make sure you stock extra prescriptions and antibiotics.

Note: Most antibiotics are available OTC... "What the hell?" you say... Yep, hit your pet shops and feed stores, all the stuff used for animals is pretty much the same shit.

Camping stove and fuel... Lots of extra fuel cylinders.

Camping lanterns, make sure they use the same fuel cylinders as the stove... More fuel.

Are you ready to camp out for at least a week or two, if you plan on bugging out, ya better be.

We already have a gas powered generator and enough gas to run it for a week.

Flashlights & radio.

If ya don't wanna stock a HUGE supply of batteries, get hand crank rechargeable.

FIREARMS:

One or more, a good .22 rifle, medium caliber rifle in a common caliber, pistol of common caliber, shotgun (don't fuck around get a 12g)

Plenty of ammo, cleaning supplies and a few spare parts.

Do you have slingshot, very useful, you can silently take all sorts of small game/fowl.

.22, get some subsonic, good for doing things quietly.

Neighborhood cats/dogs/chickens/ golf course/park ducks/squirrels and such, yes, they are on the menu when the family MUST be fed.

.22 rifle, mainstay for putting small game on the table.

Rifle, make sure you've some HP/SP for hunting, to go along with the defensive stocks of ammo.

Pistol, for when the rifle/shottie is out of ammo.

Shotgun, make sure you've stocked BB, #2, #4 & #6 shotshells, you can take most small game/fowl with these.

Yes, have the standard buck-n-slugs for the big four and two legged animals.

Keep fishing gear/supplies on hand.

Do you know how to run a trotline or gillnet?

Know how to salt/preserve fish?

Clothing/footwear for all seasons.

We really need to work more on shoes/clothing supplies for three growing kidz. :eek:

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

as much as I like 22lr I do have a 177 air rifle and is more than capable of taking up to a 40lb animal if you do your job, and ammo is cheap 3.00 bucks for 250

pellets so just something to think about in case you are in a urban environment like I am. A 22 is pretty quiet compared to other rounds but a 177 out of a spring loaded air rifle is like a fart in the wind noone knows it is there unless they are beside you.

Edited by dashowdy

One essential item for the med kit (imho) would have to be a couple pakets of "QuikClot" or the like -- if you are in a serious bleeding situation, this is the stuff to have. It burns like hell when it is applied but it slams shut all bleeding, even on traumatic amputations. It could easily be a lifesaver.

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=16452&tabid=548&catid=2754

I would add one point here since this is the 30th thread on this. Have a copy of the army survival guide or the SAS survial guide. While you have stored water, find the closest place where you can get water to your home. Keep a couple of 5 gallon buckets on hand. When your buying your food, get a variety, eating the same thing for than a week will drive you nuts. All of the previous posts have pretty much covered what you need. Good luck in getting started ;)

• Like 1

Just a random thought....

I've been considered a nut job for the last 15 years due to having a strong instinctual feeling that I was likely going to see "the end of the show" in my lifetime.

Throughout these last 15 years, I've seen sign after sign of the prophecies fulfilled, in my lifetime alone.

Now a very large segment of humanity has the instinctual feeling that they need to prepare because the walls are about to tumble down...

But I'm still a nut...

I'll just say this;

When the time comes, don't value your life, possessions, or comfort over your salvation.

What will come, will come, & that will be your test.

Many will fail.

Remember;

He who eats alone, dies alone.

• Like 1

When the SHTF I have a bottle of whiskey above the gun safe.

At least I'm not alone on that! Jack Daniels of course.

Question for the OP, I've been working on a case for awhile that would be available for trunk carry. Is this a stay at home or go kind of thing?

Your best bet would be to get a pelican case and load it to the hilt with what you need.

1st would someone please start a SHTF site so there's a central clearing house for the subject. Maybe name it "gas, guns, and groceries for the end of days."

My liquor cabinet is bigger and usually better stocked than my gun safe. I figure I'm not going to fight my way out of a major mess (IMHO how anyone survives anything over about a week long will be because of just sheer dumb luck) but if I'm going down that road I'm going relaxed and happy about it all.

Edited by 20-Mags
  • Like 3

Ya a place to talk about this would deffinantly be a winner. Easier for the newbs to find answer to questions that have already been asked also. Search just doesn't do it all the time, if it's used at all.

Imho, no matter what, ALWAYS have your shit ready to bug out. As stated on a similar topic, there are 3 basic levels of survival. Self, Vehicular and Home based. Build your self/family set up first and then work towards your Vehicular set up. Having everything locked into your home will do crap for you if it gets washed/blown away by high water/winds or even if you have to evac cause of a Chemical spill(did that as a kid, not enough time to box everything and had to leave alot). And if you think "it can't happen here", what do you say about a 6.0 quake on the East Coast, with a Hurricane on it's way in?

Start small and work your way up. And have everything in containers or with empty ones near to hand in case you need to pack in a hurry. I used to keep all my canned/dry goods in milk crates in the cabinets. They acted as drawers which made restocking easy and could be pulled at a momments notice for evac, loaded and ready to go. I can still be loaded and ready to get out, in less than an hour. Most ABSOLUTE neccesities in 15-20mins. And if it's a GET-n-GO, my truck can get me through for about a week.

Just some thoughts.

PS, lets add Community to that list. The pack is stronger in mass. But that's for another topic, lol.

Edited by BpS12
  • Like 1