just did conversion, bolt not going foward all the way

Polishing helps, assuming the hammer profile is right. On some hammers, there's a bit more of a defined flat spot that can catch on the bolt carrier if operated slowly. My Draco is like that. Unless you "let her fly" it won't go all the way forward.

There SHOULD BE some resistance from the carrier pressing down on the hammer. You don't want to remove too much from the hammer face though, or it won't get pushed down far enough to engage the disconnector.

If your carrier is catching on your hammer, and when you let it forward manually you have to push it, kinda hard, to go past, I would file it a little. Just leave it in the reciever, get a small, finer type file and start getting rid of that hump. Take your dust cover off, and see where your carrier is hitting the hammer, on that hump right above where it hits the firing pin. Start taking it down and checking by putting the carrier back in and leaving it forward. Dont worry about getting it perfect, just enough that you dont really have to force it forward.

Honestly, I had to file mine for a while before it was satisfactory to me, just be careful. Also, some sanding afterward will smooth out the roughness of the filed surface. 600grit first then most anything higher after that, maybe some polishing too.

Edited by Boomsick42

Ran into a similiar issue when going through my S12. Found that the bolt lug was hanging up in the lug channel in the bolt carrier. A little finnessing on the lug and the corners in the channel and problem went away. Now its smooth as silk.

• 2 weeks later...

i figured it out. its partly to do with the hammer profile and the extractor isnt going over the rim of the bullet caseing all the way without me haveing to actually push it foward to snap over it.. is that normal?

If you pull the bolt back and let go, it should have no problem going into full battery with a cartridge.

If it doesn't FTF/FTE at the range, it's not broken. Hammer hang is typical in AKs, especially those with new parts and Tapco hammers seem to sit up a little more than others. A few of mine I can get to BHO on the hammer alone, which is great for the gratification of the range officers, but they aren't broken.

Not to worry, consider it an extra buffer. Everything will wear smoother with time. All you are doing by polishing is accelerating this process.