Saiga 12 Conversion Faux Rivets vs Welding

Holy crap, I can't believe the snobbery here. I put the friggin plastic plugs in mine and never looked back. They look EXACTLY like the rivets, and for God's sake, aside from the S12 nerds on this board who the hell will ever know the difference? :lol:

• Like 4

Even with welding equipment and skills I say plugs, as noted, flexibility in configuration choice, and as noted, you do affect the receiver, to what effect? I dunno, why chance it?

I agree, why take the chance.

It is a matter of preference. You guys wonder why we weld them and we wonder why you guys like the plugs.

Kinda funny, isn't it? ;) I love this place....

Really, I just love the clean look of welded holes

.... and it looks more like a Kalashnikov that hasn't been neutered in a past life :lolol:

I used the internal receiver block with the allen head screws through the old holes as well. Of course, I also built my PSL with Allen screws instead of rivets also, and it has held up just fine...... :haha:

You know that is cheating, right? :angel:

MH. Can you some pics of your Saiga?

here is a close up of it, it looks just like rivets, same size and curve

+1

The nylon plugs that are commonly found at Lowes are strikingly similar to the factory rivets. The diameter and radius are very close.

Is a specific size or brand of plug to look for? I'd like to get some, don't wanna go and there be a plethora of plug sizes and options.

Thanks

I think CSS has some that are really close too. There isn't a huge selction of them at Lowes, so it should be fairly obvious which ones you need.

Thank you

[is a specific size or brand of plug to look for? I'd like to get some,

LOWES has it, at least here in NE ohio, it's 3/16" Nylon Hole Plug BLACK (Hillman # 881274).

Thank you

Haha! Reminds me of this:

post-35779-0-22753500-1314757948_thumb.jpg

I used the internal receiver block with the allen head screws through the old holes as well. Of course, I also built my PSL with Allen screws instead of rivets also, and it has held up just fine...... :haha:

You know that is cheating, right? :angel:

I bought the plug kit, but ended up plugging my S12 receiver holes with screws after the conversion. I had a leftover Tapco "Screw Build" kit from my conversion, and basically just selected four screws of the same head size that fit into the holes (without enlarging them), and threaded the hex nuts onto them inside the receiver and tightened them down. I feel that it looked better than the plastic plugs, and was not as labor intensive as welding or rivets.

I bought the plug kit, but ended up plugging my S12 receiver holes with screws after the conversion. I had a leftover Tapco "Screw Build" kit from my conversion, and basically just selected four screws of the same head size that fit into the holes (without enlarging them), and threaded the hex nuts onto them inside the receiver and tightened them down. I feel that it looked better than the plastic plugs, and was not as labor intensive as welding or rivets.

+1 w/blue loctite