• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My experience is that if you get something that'll clear the top cover enough to let you remove it for cleaning, you'll likely need a cheek riser. I know I need one for the Russian Posp scopes and probably should have one for my utg mounted Redfield.

I have the 3-bolt utg and it has worked well on a short-barrel .223. For the money, I think they're hard to beat. Kalinka sells more expensive Russian sidemounts that some have had negative experiences with.

The only negatives I've heard on the utg came from a poster here called Nalioth. He used to regularly bash them as being paintball gun accessories. Myself, I don't know why that's a bad thing if they work.

I have the 5th gen quick detatch one and I havent really put mine thru its paces yet. But it locks on rock solid once adjusted and is low enough to be easily used. Its one solid piece of aluminum aside from the set screw and lever. I think its quite nice, and seems rugged enough.

My only complaint is, when you lock and unlock the lever, the adjustment will either get looser or tighter. I solved this by scoring the contact points that were slipping with a razor knife to give them a little more friction against eachother, and it works very well now.

I would reccomend it for the price.

I have the UTG three bolt. You can easily take off the dust cover and the internals with this mount still attached. I have a skeletonized stock with a cheek rest/riser that works well with this set up. The only thing that I have to complain about is that I stripped out one of the bolts (I know this is my fault) but just make sure that you torque them down the correct amount. Also keep in mind that this is a pretty hefty mount. You can definately feel the difference when this is on your gun, but that is expected from such a solid mount.

My experience is that if you get something that'll clear the top cover enough to let you remove it for cleaning, you'll likely need a cheek riser.

That used to be true, and was the reason I decided to design my own.

My experience is that if you get something that'll clear the top cover enough to let you remove it for cleaning, you'll likely need a cheek riser.

And thanks for doing so! The RS AKM mount is ridiculously awesome. I picked up the package deal on Brownells for the mount and an Aimpoint. This set up is the cats ass.

I know AK guys tend to like cheap solutions, and I've been known to pinch a penny just as much as anyone else.. but the $30 I spent on my UTG mount was absolutely wasted. Yet another cheap shit part that now sits in my bin full of other worthless crap.

Had a cheap truglo red dot on top of it that bit the the dust.. that was the final straw that made me start going over each of my guns and replace all the bullshit mounts and budget optics with real solutions.

Buy once, cry once. I'm done with UTG and the like. Not even going to find its way onto my Marlin .22LR.

OTOH the RS mount is worth every penny. It locks up tighter, and more consistently by far. After removing the UTG quick release mount 5 or 6 times, it would become very loose and need to be tightened up. The RS mount is rock solid, period.. combine that with the cowitness ability, and it just can't be beat. Seems to have made my groups tighten up too.

Not trying to kiss ass here.. but I'm a VERY happy camper.

And thanks for doing so! The RS AKM mount is ridiculously awesome. I picked up the package deal on Brownells for the mount and an Aimpoint. This set up is the cats ass.

I know AK guys tend to like cheap solutions, and I've been known to pinch a penny just as much as anyone else.. but the $30 I spent on my UTG mount was absolutely wasted. Yet another cheap shit part that now sits in my bin full of other worthless crap.

Had a cheap truglo red dot on top of it that bit the the dust.. that was the final straw that made me start going over each of my guns and replace all the bullshit mounts and budget optics with real solutions.

Buy once, cry once. I'm done with UTG and the like. Not even going to find its way onto my Marlin .22LR.

OTOH the RS mount is worth every penny. It locks up tighter, and more consistently by far. After removing the UTG quick release mount 5 or 6 times, it would become very loose and need to be tightened up. The RS mount is rock solid, period.. combine that with the cowitness ability, and it just can't be beat. Seems to have made my groups tighten up too.

Not trying to kiss ass here.. but I'm a VERY happy camper.

Sickness - any interest in gettting rid of that old utg for cheap? I'm tinkering with the idea of getting a red dot but want a cheap entry into the market. Since I'm really not so sure if ill like it. Does your old utg sit low enough to get a decent cheek weld?

After removing the UTG quick release mount 5 or 6 times, it would become very loose and need to be tightened up. .

I encountered the same thing with my UtG right out of the box. There was some wimpy rubber washer between the lower mount frame and the lock washer, it did absolutely nothing. It was destroyed after being locked down on a couple times. every time locking and unlocking it would slip either tighter or looser, most of the time looser.

I came to the conclusion that it needed more friction to stop from slipping. Since there are three surfaces on the two locking parts that fit in the lever, and only one is serrated for grip, I took a razor knife and scored the shit out of the other surfaces. Going inside out, like sun rays, I dug deep into each contacting surface, hoping it would provide enough grab. Each little smooth side that contacted eachother got gripified.

It worked wonderfully, and now after about twenty trips to the range and at least 20times on and off it hasnt budged enough to make a difference, or at all. I just had to take the time to do it, and Im quite happy with the mount now.

Although, I do believe the RS mount to be far superior for anything with a 30mm tube.