Looking to get my saiga converted and want your input....

I have a brand new 19" threaded Saiga 12 that I'm looking to have converted, but before I do I wanted to ask you guys a few questions.

1.) Who offers the best bang for the buck when it comes to doing a basic conversion?

2.) Is there a difference in basic conversion and another form of conversions?

3.). Would you suggest trying the conversion yourself with helpful posts and videos?

4.). What would you do with your Saiga if you had it to do all over again? Or what wouldn't you do?

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm new to the forum and look forward to soaking up as much information as I can while I'm here.

You can't beat JT Engineering's current special if you don't want to do it yourself.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/70642-jt-engineering-conversion-special/

JT Engineering conversion special. Purchase any Vendor Conversion Package and JT Engineering will do a complete conversion for the base price of $200.00 plus return shipping/insurance/handling of $50.00 for a total of $250.00

Average of two week turn around upon receipt of firearm and parts.

The basic conversion consist of the following services for the Saiga Shotguns:

1. Move FCG Group forward, plug axis holes, touch up finish as needed.

2. Install all component parts of Basic Conversion Package

3. Check gas block and ports for alignment and/or correct as needed.

4. Modify Bolt for Rock “N” Lock on a closed bolt

5. Profile hammer and carrier for reduced pre-load on main spring during cycling

6. Throat/polish feed ramp

7. Reduce profile of factory BHO so it doesn't interfere with the trigger finger.

8. Test fire and 100% Guaranteed to cycle with Federal Bulk Pack (2 ¾ Inch, 3 Dram, 1 1/8 oz shot)

NOTE: Welding, complete refinishing, internal adapters, some quad rails, etc., ARE NOT included in the basic conversion pricing. If you have any questions about services, please call.

The special applies to all AK-47 variants and all calipers.

Additional services are available upon request. I can package the services together, for example; welding axis holes, aluminum oxide blast and refinish the firearm, while I have the firearm and pass on a considerable savings to the customer. I do not charge a separate service charge for each service and then combine the total, I base my pricing on shop hours/time.

Contact JT Engineering for further information and shipping instructions.

JT Engineering is a complete in house machine shop for all your gunsmithing services, rifles, shotguns, pistols.

Edited by dwnthehatch
  • Like 1

Most people here will say do it yourself and If all you want is a basic conversion you should do it yourself. Its extremely simple and with the CSS videos and all the info here you have all the help you need. I was initially hesitant to do my own but once I did I realized that it really is very simple. I did mine in less than an hour. There is only one conversion process, the only diffrence is the amount of EXTRA work done during conversion like welding and refinshing etc.

When it comes to doing something diffrent than you did the first time, thats why people buy another saiga!!wink.png You get to do it over and get another gun. That is what Im gonna do, I am very happy with mine but I want a classic AK saiga so I'll buy another one and start over!

Welcome to the addiction032.gif and the forum.

• Like 2

I did my own conversion but I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined. The videos make it super simple. I just can't see spending 200+ on something I could spend doing In my living room while learning about my new shotgun. Only you can answer whether you're capable or not.

The only thing I would do different is probably going with the intrafuse hand guard rather than the quad rail.

Do it yourself.

For basic conversion you will need....

Drill, needle nose pliers,vice grips,3/16 drill bit, Phillips screw driver,punch, or a allen wrench to push out the pins.

Optional(Rubber mallet,Vice)

If you don't have any of those tools already, well what the hell have you been doing with your life.

In all honesty, my mini Schnauzer could complete the conversion by watching the CSS videos.

Edited by EEEKROAR

It's definitely really easy to do. I am not extremely mechanically inclined, but I'm nowhere near the level in Tony's picture and I did it years ago before all of the fancy-pants DIY triggers were common place. The hardest part was making the square hole for the pistol grip nut, but since the new DIY triggers eliminate that step all together, I don't think I'd feel uncomfortable doing another conversion while blind, loaded with beer, both hands tied behind my back and running on a treadmill. OK, maybe a slight exaggeration, but just go on Youtube and search for Siaga-12 conversion, lots of good videos out there. The process is the same, but everyone seems to go about it just a bit differently, so watch a several different conversion videos to get a true sense for what is involved.

do it yourself....its not hard. everyone makes it out to be some huge feat.... take ur time, do ur research..... use any resource you know....for example i did all the conversion myself, had my buddy whose a mechanic weld the holes up, thread my barrel, and i did the rest (building, blasting, cerakote, polishing, moving the FCG forward, etc)

its much more rewarding and when ur done, you'll say (like me and most): "I can't believe i was goign to pay someone else lots of $$$ to do something i can do" if ur not coating it or doing anything besides moving the FCG forward and adding the bolt ons, you should be able to do it within 30min - an hour....take ur time (it may take u longer)

The guy tried to do the conversion himself.......finally gave up on it and sent to us for the conversion.

Not everyone is handy with tools.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

thats because everyone gets nervous and over thinks what it is their doing.... its not hard at all.... i actually LOL when i was done

a monkey taught the right way could "convert" a saiga

To come in here and state:

250 Plus parts and no refinish puts you in the same category as any other shops conversion although you have no refinish, you have plastic plugged holes, no welding and a receiver block or fixed stock

is insulting to ME and I'm not even associated with JT Eng. If the $250 conversion was charged at the same HOURLY Rate as "any other shops", it would indeed be a $600+ conversion.

Please don't put alot of weight on other builders opinions who just want your business. Ask the Consumers. And please read note 8 carefully: " Test fire and 100% Guaranteed to cycle with Federal Bulk Pack (2 ¾ Inch, 3 Dram, 1 1/8 oz shot)"

You cannot guarantee that unless you are knocking gas blocks off, ensuring proper porting, etc.

You can't beat JT Engineering's current special if you don't want to do it yourself.

http://forum.saiga-1...ersion-special/

JT Engineering conversion special. Purchase any Vendor Conversion Package and JT Engineering will do a complete conversion for the base price of $200.00 plus return shipping/insurance/handling of $50.00 for a total of $250.00

Average of two week turn around upon receipt of firearm and parts.

The basic conversion consist of the following services for the Saiga Shotguns:

1. Move FCG Group forward, plug axis holes, touch up finish as needed.

2. Install all component parts of Basic Conversion Package

3. Check gas block and ports for alignment and/or correct as needed.

4. Modify Bolt for Rock “N” Lock on a closed bolt

5. Profile hammer and carrier for reduced pre-load on main spring during cycling

6. Throat/polish feed ramp

7. Reduce profile of factory BHO so it doesn't interfere with the trigger finger.

8. Test fire and 100% Guaranteed to cycle with Federal Bulk Pack (2 ¾ Inch, 3 Dram, 1 1/8 oz shot)

NOTE: Welding, complete refinishing, internal adapters, some quad rails, etc., ARE NOT included in the basic conversion pricing. If you have any questions about services, please call.

The special applies to all AK-47 variants and all calipers.

Additional services are available upon request. I can package the services together, for example; welding axis holes, aluminum oxide blast and refinish the firearm, while I have the firearm and pass on a considerable savings to the customer. I do not charge a separate service charge for each service and then combine the total, I base my pricing on shop hours/time.

Contact JT Engineering for further information and shipping instructions.

JT Engineering is a complete in house machine shop for all your gunsmithing services, rifles, shotguns, pistols.

I'll play smile.png

If profiling the bolt on your own, don't do this;

BoltfromHell1024x345.jpg

They work better when they're like this;

001-1.jpg

And if installing a vertical charger, fit the parts together & prep the joints correctly, (just cranking up the amps ain't gonna cut it) or you'll have a big void rather than fusion like the black part pictured here;

Millmessedupbolt0241024x768.jpg

If installing a left side charging handle, don't make it weaker than the right side handle by fabbing a small mount or tapering the shaft of your intended handle so it fits the small area provided by the factory.

Build up the base so you have a proper mount & your handle's twice as strong like this;

Millmessedupbolt0341024x818.jpg

There's a certain personal satisfaction that comes from doing it yourself, but on the other hand, there's another satisfaction that derives from having stuff done right....

You don't NEED one of these;

Millmessedupbolt040.jpg

But if you want results like this, it, & a few other tools not marked Dremel help;

knurledcharger007.jpg

-

imagerqf.jpg

DSC03335.jpg

IMG_3579-Copy.jpg

ballVCH001.jpg

0081024x694.jpg

S6300768.jpg

004.jpg

6123124324_d5ed726175_z.jpg

IceRackSupreme002-2.jpg

GlassBolts008.jpg

3CH0141280x395-1.gif

DSC03336.jpg

0041024x278.jpg

MikeSSaiga12.jpg

E-tac001800x213-1.jpg

PaulysPiston1911.jpg

S6300814-1.jpg

S12-One-FR.jpg

S12-bolt.jpg

S12-charge.jpg

Saiga-Polish.jpg

knurledcharger004.jpg

grimace.gif

When you ready for a conversion do your research if you want to do it your self you can, but there's only a few choices in my book if you going to have it done other wise you are just getting the same gun as if you did it your self. 250 Plus parts and no refinish puts you in the same category as any other shops conversion although you have no refinish, you have plastic plugged holes, no welding and a receiver block or fixed stockbeaten.gif . some of us just don't believe in touch ups. just my two cents.

Tac 47, Tromix, RJF, CGW, ect a little longer of a wait any of us can make a bad ass gun. Someone once said if you dont have a wait there is a reason why!

Looks great, but where is the long rivet in the rear block?

OP,

This is "home brew".... and it runs.

post-22401-0-66411500-1320352888_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-92145600-1320352906_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-45819400-1320352930_thumb.jpg

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Don't do it like this.

Butchered.jpg

I think it is appropriate that you show those pics of the receiver after you were done "bringing it back from the dead". I believe in miracles ;) Great work.... after, that is.

I have sent two saiga 12s to JT Engineering. Both run great and I haven't had a single FTE or FTF out of either one. The price and quality of Jack's work would be hard to beat in my opinion. The second saiga I sent to JT Engineering I had him weld up the old axis holes. I don't remember how much extra it was but it wasn't much.

Here is a couple pics of one. I haven't gotten around to taking pictures of the other one yet.

post-34181-0-64436200-1320355175_thumb.jpg

post-34181-0-65099600-1320355234_thumb.jpg

I worked in a gun shop for a couple of years, and was only familiar with the S12's as they were off the shelf. Come to think of it a Saiga 12 was my very first gun sale. I however had not fallen in love with them, since I was unaware that they could be anything more than the sporter stock and 5 round mag thing that we sold. It wasn't till an employee brought one of his converted SBS S12's with 10 round mags that I decided I needed one. So while I saved funds I lurked and creeped around the interwebs, found this place, and began to obtain knowledge. After months of reading and browsing through all the steps and issues to look for, I bought a rotoray tool and did it myself on the front porch.

Unless you simply do not have the means to do it yourself I'd say hang out here, and when you feel ready give it a whirl. This is a great place, business memebers will share info with you happily and free of charge, which is a pretty special thing. You really do gain a ton more understanding of the gun itself, and its actually pretty fun. It's a very, instant-gratification, kind of job.

I debated back and forth for awhile, and ended up doing the basic conversion myself after watching the Carolina Shooter's Supply videos multiple times. The hardest part for me was removing the factory trigger guard rivets. Those suckers are tough. I was able to drill one of the 3 out, as the video suggests, but had to use a grind stone drill bit attachment to grind the other two down flat before I could drill them on out. The middle one, on my gun at least was larger and flat. The two end rivets were small and rounded, making it difficult for me to get the drill bit started. I used the grind stone to flatten them down, then a punch to start an indentation in the center. This allowed me to drill them out. I was using a hand held drill, not a drill press.

Good luck either way.