How much should I pay for a basic SAIGA 12 conversion?

I am from Northern Cali (Bay Area) and I want to convert my Saiga 12 to a pretty basic conversion. I am wondering how much $ did any of my fellow SAIGA-12 owners have to put out?

Will I save money by buying the kit and have someone do the labor or just have the person that will do the conversion buy what's needed.

Any comments would be appreciated.

-JN

If you want someone else to do it, shop for that person before buying parts.

Some smiths don't want you to bring in your own parts without consulting them first.

And you can't blame them in this litigious society we live in today.

Jack does great work.

Here is a thread that describes what he does in a basic conversion.

http://forum.saiga-1...ersion-special/

The best part is that your gun will be 100% Guaranteed to cycle with Federal Bulk Pack (2 ¾ Inch, 3 Dram, 1 1/8 oz shot).

You will just need to buy a conversion kit.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-CONVERSION-KITS-cln-SAIGA-12/Categories

Edited by Ethan M

i vote you do it yourself, all the information and help is here. i did my own, and learned a lot about how the weapon functions. there are even videos to guide you.

i consider it a confidence builder as well. takes the mystery out of it, and i have the confidence to do my own fine tuning or repairs.

• Like 2

These following are the main reasons that I would recommend that someone who is not 'hands on' send a Saiga 12 out for conversion.....

Reliability service (reprofiling, gas work, etc)

Welding the left over holes in the receiver

Refinishing the receiver with a product like Duracoat, Cerakote, etc.

AK100 stock installation

SBS

Shortening the barrel or threading a non-threaded barrel

Welded sight installation (HK, etc)

LRBHO installation

Magwell installation

If you aren't getting any of that, DO IT YOURSELF. Most of us know someone who is good with their hands, if we aren't. The basic conversion process is very easy and I would rate it at a 3 out of 10 in difficulty (only because cutting, grinding, and drilling is necessary, however minimal). For reference, building an AR15 from parts would be a 1 or 2.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

another one for converting it yourself. I am not the most mechanically inclined person but I was able to do a simple conversion.

some things you need a pro to do, but this isn't one of those things. there is a step by step tutorial right here on this forum. you can do it with simple hand tools, and in about a couple of hours or less. beats paying someone hundreds of dollars and waiting god knows how long before he decides to get to yours.

• 2 months later...

i vote you do it yourself, all the information and help is here. i did my own, and learned a lot about how the weapon functions. there are even videos to guide you.

i consider it a confidence builder as well. takes the mystery out of it, and i have the confidence to do my own fine tuning or repairs.

This! After doing mine I feel 100% more confident.

I too, say to do it yourself, BUT, as you'll read here, it probably won't eat the cheap shells if you convert it only. Be forewarned of that, now if a 'smith is offering to convert it AND do a reliability service so that when you get the gun back it will eat whatever you load into it, that's a different story. I still wouldn't pay more than $400 in that case though...

Think of it this way, converting a Saiga is kinda like changing the oil in a car, it will require some tools and careful thinking the first time you do it. You can pay someone to do it for you but with how easy it is, why pay unless you just have the money sitting around and have some sort of aversion to getting dirty? Same thing for the conversion...

Personally, I'd research the laws in my state as far as what I can and can't do, then I'd buy the parts and do it myself, then send it off to Pauly and pay him a C-note. You're looking at around $300-$500 for all of that anyway...