Just Completed M76 Reweld

Finally finished my unissued, numbers matching Yugo M76 reweld. I had planned to have a local professional welder do it, but once he realized how much time it was going to take, he gave it back. I decided to do it myself with my little 110v HF flux core welder. It took a LOT of patience, and some trial and error, and a lot of anti-spatter paste, but she's done and ready to take out and test. post-34941-0-51717700-1321802689_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It's a shame that stupid laws force these to be cut up. Perfectly useful tools and pieces of history ruined. All to satisfy someone's irrational fear of inanimate objects.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 3

Thanks guys for the compliments.

I heard about this guy from a friend of a friend, who knew him from Gun Broker. He apparently had bought a bunch of kits before the barrel ban. These were mostly unissued numbers matching kits. Absolutely pristine. Still had the original receiver stub on it, which is why I really wanted to do a reweld on it. Much rather keep the matching numbers aspect, rather than an ORF POS with a different number. His name is Pat Jarvis and he owns Pataskala Shooters Supply in Ohio, I "think". Hell it's been since January that I bought the kit. Got the parts kit, 5 mags, mag pouch, cleaning kit, scope and cover and it's cleaning kit, and the bayonet.

Didn't take any pics really during the welding process. Mainly because it looked so freaking ugly until I ground it down. Biggest part was trying to keep it all lined up and square in the jig until I got it all properly tacked. It's really hard to span a 3/8" gap between pieces when you're using a flux core welder. It would have been much easier with a standard MIG or TIG with the shielding gas. I basically would weld and area, then grind. Weld the next, then grind. Trying to not put too much heat into any one area where it would warp.

As far as heat treating, I don't think there are any issues requiring it. I have heard of people normalizing and reheat treating the entire milled receiver, but from some friends in California that do a BUNCH of rewelds, they have not had any issues. The weld master is "Nicoroshi" over on Gunco.net. He is a welder by trade, and helps guide people who are interested in doing rewelds.

Patriot, you're correct. There is no reason to cut up a BRAND FREAKING NEW rifle like that. I have built about 5 rifles so far on brand new unissued parts kits. They sure look nice when they're done, but there is no reason that they should have been cut up in the first place, other than fear by people that want to destroy anything of which they do not understand.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested in doing an M76 build, Assault Weapons of Ohio has complete numbers matching kits WITH an ORF receiver for $899.00. I doubt that you'll find a better deal with receiver out there. Hell I had about $950 into this one without a receiver. They also have matching numbers kits without receivers as well as non numbers matching kits. All have new GM barrels.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I'm just throwing that out there for anyone interested. If I didn't already have this one, I would be jumping all over the $899 deal.

Oh yeah, he also carries 28 round mags for the M76!!! (made from MG13 mags) You should see his full auto M76 videos on Youtube. That thing rocks!!!!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah, he also carries 28 round mags for the M76!!! (made from MG13 mags) You should see his full auto M76 videos on Youtube. That thing rocks!!!!

Those MG-13 mags also work great for Hakim rifles with a little modification 032.gif

Eric

Edited by emr454