Slugs Through Stock Saiga 12 Barrel

Looking for advice on using hand loaded slugs trough my Saiga 12.

The Barrel is .717" and the 1-1/8 DGS-12 is .727" and the 1 oz AQ Slug is .729" Dia

I know a tight fit is required for accuracy.

But

Squeezing a hard round ball through a tight cylinder could be like a "virgin prom night" exploding with unintended consequences.

Looking for experience in using these through a Saiga 12 and perhaps some load data. What I want to avoid is excessive chamber pressure.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by WLD1783

I'm loading the Lee 1 oz. slugs that are used with standard wads, in Remington STS/Nitro hulls, using data straight off the Hodgdon site. No problems at all with them. They Chrono'ed at just over 1300 out of my 19" Saiga. I've also fired a bunch of Remington 3" slugs through it. Those averaged 1588 fps.

• Like 2

Netpackrat

Thanks

But looking for the DGS and AQ Slug info on a tight or not so tight barrel. I think the slugs will be squeezed and work well but a minimum diameter barrel or choke would be great. There has to be a recognized min diameter choke on these.

BTW what size groups are you getting out of them at 50 and 100 yards. i'm interested as I do cast....Who knows all that Linotype might be worth something ;).

Bill

I don't know what DGS or AQ are. I haven't fired for groups at those ranges since my interest for the shotgun is closer. If a bear is at 50 or 100 yards, it isn't posing much of a danger to me, so I'm not all that interested in shooting it. If I'm actually hunting something I will use a rifle. I adjusted the sights for my carry slugs (the Rem 3 inchers) at 25 yards, and then verified that the handloads shoot to the same point of impact at that range. Not really interested in turning the shotgun into something that it is not. It's a cylinder bore lead hose. biggrin.png

Here are a couple of pics. The slugs are from Ballistic Products.

GBP.jpg

0151000_special.jpg

As far as accuracy I'm a bit of a snob. An eight inch group at 25 yards just wont do it for me, but to hit a steel pop up with a heavy slug at 100yards is a lot of fun. These are designed to stabilize and do just that out of a smooth bore. Just want to ensure the Saiga choke is not too tight as these are .010" wider than the end of the barrel.

Edited by WLD1783

Looks Like an adult BB gun...Like it

LymanSlug.jpg

Have not tried it but will do. Any idea on accuracy from a smooth bore.

Also whats the max dia?

Bill

<Sheldon Cooper> Actually, that would be an adult pellet gun. </Sheldon Cooper>

YEP

But size matters...

Is a .009" squeeze going to up chamber pressure in a bad way???

Or Perfect for accuracy....

Bill

How do they shoot at 25 yards. Looks very effective at close range but looking for better than musket ball accuracy as those steel plates are 100 yards.

At that price looks like a very good value...Less than cheap 44 mag, could you toss a link for purchase.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Nobodys going to have a pressure table for s12's, they are russian. But, they can fire 3" magnum, which I imagine will have greater pressure than almost anything else. Also, people shoot slugs through chokes with these guns, probably with more than a .010 constriction, so I imagine that your slugs will be fine with cylinder bore. Also, take apart some other slugs to measure their diameter to compare to the barrel diameter.

Edited by yooper14.5

As long as the slugs you are using in the Saiga are soft lead it shouldn't be an issue if the slug comes in direct contact with the barrel. Hard alloy sabot slugs should not be used in the Saiga 12 unless the choke has been removed.

post-17871-0-86962500-1326145957.jpg

Unless it is something like this, right?

(Hastings Paradox choke.)

http://www.midwayusa. com/product/191357/hastings-paradox-sabot-discarding-choke-tube-browning-invector-mossberg-accu-choke-winchester-win-choke-12-gauge

These are specifically intended for hard sabots. For mine the packaging and my recollection of the website only forbade use with some remmington full caliber solid copper slugs.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

doublepost removed. I'll replace it with a question and info from ammo I have on hand.

I have been intending to do an accuracy comparison with and without the paradox choke.

Those cheap slugs above seem like a good candate, as they don't have the stabilizing shape or weight distribution of foster or breneke type slugs.

Can anyone tell me if they are worth buying?

Also, it looks like there is only a plastic accordion wad behind the ball, not a cup around it. That seems like it would lead the barrel some. The main thing though is if this is the case, it should be safe to shoot through a "full" choke as well.(I just measured mine at .692" at the narrowest point)

I would still use the paradox, or cylinder but it would be good to know for sure.

The Remington and Winchester brand foster styles say they may be used in rifled, cylinder, and full choke safely on the packaging. Remington slugger 3" 1760 FPS 10oz packaging says, "Rifled slugs may be fired through any choke, however improved cylinder provides best results.These slugs will also perform well in fully rifled barrels and barrels fitted with choke tubes."

"Any" seems like a risky statement to make, particularly when every turkey choke I have seen says not to use with slugs or even steel shot.

B&P packaging says nothing about the issue.Nor does Federal. Duplex packaging says not to use with any choke smaller than "Full".

post-17871-0-86962500-1326145957.jpg

Edited by GunFun

I made my own this weekend, shoot 25 slugs (I dont have a choke) 25 yards were good, 2 " pattern with 5 shoots.

50 yards was another story, 6" pattern was as best I could do, these are LEE mold slugs, I did not try 100 yards.

TBG-- pellet style or round ball? Off-hand or from a rest? And thanks for reporting your data.

OP-- the upper slug you picture is a

Gualandi. B&P uses them in their european loads and their 20 ga. shells that they export to the US. They have one of the best reputations for accuracy with any bore type. I have tried to order some of them, but they only ship their low recoil foster type 12 gauge shells to the US so far. The website no longer has them listed for 12 ga, but it may be worth calling. The fosters that they keep in stock shoot great but won't cycle in my s12. R&R apparently uses them for competition. The packaging specifically names a couple of the competitive practical shooting organizations, so I think that is their primary US market. I was getting better groups with those than are being described above, but my memory is rusty and I don't want to make claims that aren't repeatable or at least pictured.

I think my next solo range trip is going to be some bench shooting with a bunch of brands to find out what is best.

I was just about to order 250 of either the nobel round ball or the centurian for that purpose, but I stopped to measure my paradox choke. It was hard to hold the calipers on the lands, but it looks to be about .719" or .720" If neither of those brands of ammo surround the ball with a shot cup, I am concerned that they won't even be gripped by the rifling. Can any one confirm the construction, or better yet measure the OD of the projectile / shot cup combination?

I've got 5" of rifling. Why are you rolling your own without rifling?

It looks to be a lot of work, and not much cheaper if any than the centurion posted above. If you aren't getting good quality results, what is the point? Not trying to be rude, I just don't get it. Do you have a rifled slug gun too?

I did not take it as rude, all good here.

My Mossberg 500 needs a slug barrel, I have been looking for a deal.

Some weekends I shoot 100 to 150 rounds, my S12 is getting very relieable

on bulk ammo and heavy loads, from the sholder and hip.

It is more for tuning and FUN than anything else.

I did try to shot good groups, did not take long to see I need a slug barrel.

I did pick up some of that Centurion ball loads.

Finally contacted Ballistic Products. Their answer was these should be fine through an IC Choke. They did say that the DGS slug is a harder lead alloy than the AQ slug.

I measured my chokes from by Bennelli and their IC was the same Diameter as the Saiga stock barrel.

Plan on loading up a few with Longshot and taking them to the range. I'm looking for 6" at 100Yards.

Bill

Bump

5 DGS loaded with 40gr of longshot....

Wont chronograph but will post accuracy with stock sights...

Hoping for less than 4" at 50 meters would be ok with 6" as this is the close range SHTF option followed by my Glock 20....

Bill

I got rifle like accuracy (to me anyway) at 100yds with an aimpoint in horses mount. I thought I posted it in a build thread, but I can't find it, might as well share it here. This was with regular run of the mill Remington sluggers, I believe it has more to do with the sights than anything. I believe the Russian equivalent would do just as well.

wtf the last image I posted was upside down, this one is sideways..... (both fine on my macbook and phone)

btw, how cool is that that one round went through the eye socket, and the target has the eyeball laying on the ground! haha

post-13384-0-02550100-1327501996_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The DGS 1-1/8 oz slug w 40gr of longshot worked great.

Groups at 25meters were 3" standing and firing from the shoulder. Given my error I could safely say these are at least 8moa or better through my Saiga using iron sights.

Will test for accuracy and chronograph once my rail and Trijicon sight arrive.

Kick was a bit less than my OO loads and cycled perfectly on the 1 gas port setting.

Bill