oversized CH caused weird stovepipes, anyone have this problem?

went to the range today, and had a interesting failure tuning my autoplug. the shell was caught by the tromix handle, and pinched between it and the front trunnion and dust cover. my gun throws shells forward at the 1:00 position unless it gets a fair amount of gas. has anyone else had this happen? should i be concerned that it throws light loads forward like that? should i crank my autoplug untill it throws them normally? my v plug on wide open does the same thing. thanks in advance.

post-32606-0-05504600-1325115384_thumb.jpg

post-32606-0-88890500-1325115399_thumb.jpg

Some one else with more clout will chime in...but here's how I see it....an empty shell should not be hanging around long enough to get caught like that. It's loitering, lol. Crank up the gas and you should be fine.

Edited by Azkamidaka

I wouldn't worry too much about where the hulls go unless you are trying to tune it to perfection, from front to back. Most of mine pitch them from 2:30-3:00. Turn the Autoplug in until the weapon will run 100 rounds of your baseline testing ammo reliably. That is what I would go for anyways. I'm not a big fan of any kind of charging handle add-ons or mods.... pretty boring, I know. My weapons are boringly reliable as well.... again, boring wink.png

ETA: Is that thing aluminum? Looks like it. Maybe there is just enough weight added to goof things up.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Im runnin pretty much the same setup minus the nifty rail and vert grip and never had this happen. Id just tweek the gas up a bit. Maybe half a turn or whatever makes them go more to the right. Should be ok after that. Does it throw shells more to the 3o'clock when using heavier or high brass loads? If so then id definitely say just gas it up a bit.

Evl: that handle add on is real light. Didnt make a difference when i installed mine. I like it because its real grippy and not some huge multi angled handle add on.

Some one else with more clout will chime in...but here's how I see it....an empty shell should not be hanging around long enough to get caught like that. It's loitering, lol. Crank up the gas and you should be fine.

i think im going too, it seems like the easy solution.

Thread hijack

do you have more pics of your s12 in its entirety? I see you have a "slots" fuglystick and I'd like to know more about it.

it was made custom by forum member jaymce out of his smaller diameter tubing, 2" external diameter. it was made to be as light as possible, the front slant was to cut weight, not for looks, even though it does look cool. i put a flashlight on it today as well, so its got 2 rails on it. i had to file the tab that goes into the receiver down because my gun is weird in that spot and the slot for it is shallower than normal. i have to cut the bottom rail down a bit because when its on there it blocks the hole to the screw holding the handguard on, making installation difficult, but its easily solved with a dremel and some paint. fair warning: if you get the smaller tubing and intend to install a rail kit, you will have to file the slots wider for the T-nuts that hold the rails on to fit in the slots. its easy and fast, but i wasnt expecting it. fuglysticks are better than the R&R and CSS handguards because they have a bracket inside that transfers stress to the gas block rather than the handguard retention screw. ill include some pics. if you have more questions, PM me, i dont want to take this thread to far off topic.

I wouldn't worry too much about where the hulls go unless you are trying to tune it to perfection, from front to back. Most of mine pitch them from 2:30-3:00. Turn the Autoplug in until the weapon will run 100 rounds of your baseline testing ammo reliably. That is what I would go for anyways. I'm not a big fan of any kind of charging handle add-ons or mods.... pretty boring, I know. My weapons are boringly reliable as well.... again, boring wink.png

ETA: Is that thing aluminum? Looks like it. Maybe there is just enough weight added to goof things up.

no, the charging handle is solid steel. i only had a few failures today, the worst of which was due to me testing my first surefire mag and the feed angle is higher than normal and the shell ran straight into the barrel hood. the rest were stupid gas issues with the autoplug tuning, because i was cautious on how much gas i gave it. its not the autoplugs fault, just me not giving it enough gas. this malfunction was weird though so i decided to ask if anyone else had had this happen to them. im not really concerned about where the shells go as long as they fully leave the weapon, but i thought it might be wrong for them to be hanging out in front of the charging handle long enough for it to hit them forward. im gonna boost the autoplug a bit more next time i have more ammo. my gun normally doesnt fail, but with the autoplug tuning leaving it slightly undergassed right now it had a few malfunctions today.

post-32606-0-41066500-1325130789.jpg

post-32606-0-51222100-1325130826.jpg

post-32606-0-80793500-1325130867_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think the RVGs look right at home on Saiga 12s. My favorite vert grip, by far, for ARs too.

Regarding the Autoplug adjustment, I have found that getting it 'right' and then going in another 1/2 turn or so reduces the amount of failures as the gas block gets more debris in it. With the round counts that I put down in a session, I have to think 'reliability in another couple hundred rounds'. These things are tough and mine show no signs of undue wear.

Fast forward to Saiga12 and watch the first shell. This may be whats happening to your shell while ejecting. You can also tell that the other shells are having a problem ejecting as well.

Nice vid, thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jJZAdlt80w

Fast forward to Saiga12 and watch the first shell. This may be whats happening to your shell while ejecting. You can also tell that the other shells are having a problem ejecting as well.

Thats probably pretty close to whats happening. im definetly gonna give it more gas now. Thanks.

It's interesting to see the lock-up difference. When the first gun returns to battery there is a slight bounce back of the bolt, but the Saiga seems to lock immediately upon return to battery.