Stock extension

So i finally got around to converting my s12 and getting it pretty much how i want it. However i am a large guy 6'5" and i feel as if the gun is a little on the short side. I put a ace 8.5 inch skeleton on it with a 1/2 recoil pad and i feel way to close to the back of the gun. Is it normal for it to feel so close? I guess my only other experiences with shotguns are my dads A5's and a couple 870's but i just feel like im gonna hit myself whenever i shoot it.

How would an aluminium block fare in between the stock and back of the gun? I have a few 1 inch pieces of aluminum i was going to try to fashion to the back unless this is normal

Thanks

I think that feeling is normal going to the transition from standard shotguns to the Saiga 12. Just think about it, the pistol grip is underneath the receiver... you're naturally going to be closer to the action compared to gripping behind the receiver. Just measure the actual length of pull and I'm sure you'll find it's similar to standard shotguns.

So i finally got around to converting my s12 and getting it pretty much how i want it. However i am a large guy 6'5" and i feel as if the gun is a little on the short side. I put a ace 8.5 inch skeleton on it with a 1/2 recoil pad and i feel way to close to the back of the gun. Is it normal for it to feel so close? I guess my only other experiences with shotguns are my dads A5's and a couple 870's but i just feel like im gonna hit myself whenever i shoot it.

How would an aluminium block fare in between the stock and back of the gun? I have a few 1 inch pieces of aluminum i was going to try to fashion to the back unless this is normal

Thanks

It is a personal choice on lenght of stock. I prefer a longer stock and know that an 8.5" would be to short for me. I would suggest buying a Tapco collapsable to try out and see if you like a longer stock, if you do sell the one you currently have in the marketplace here, you may lose a few bucks but it is more important to get a comfortable/correct stock for you.

I have not converted my S12, I like a longer sholder firearm.

The Tapco collapsable is what I have on mine and use it at full length.

I am 6'3" and at full length I have better control, My Son is the same height

and likes it shorter, but He is thicker than I am.

+1 on the collapsable stock to get a feel on what is best for the owner.

I too put the ace Warsaw length stock on mine and started with the 1/2 inch recoil pad, but subsequently put the 1 inch pad on and it is perfect. I also have a push button folder which adds a little more LOP. I would imagine a piece of aluminum in between your stock and receiver would work the same

I was planning on getting the folding mechanism but that looks to add about 1/2 an inch. I really dont like the look of the tapco collapsing stock. But it would be nice to see what length is the best for me.. I guess i will go ahead and try the folding mechanism and see if that is any better. If not ill slap in a block and see how that sits.

Thanks

I must be some sort of freak.... 6'1" with a 74" reach and the WARSAW length feels perfect to me. I also run my MAGPUL ACS stocks fully collapsed on my ARs. I shoot with the weapon, whatever it is, on my chest and not on the shoulder. I also tend to square my torso to the target a little more than most people do. With a shorter stock, the weapon is closer in, a more compact package when moving through confined areas, quicker handling, and most likely harder to take from the user. With long stocks or long LOP, I feel like I am reaching for the weapon and it is harder to control while firing in rapid succession. The short stock makes it feel like it is absolutely mine and absolutely under my complete control. To each his own, but I prefer them short.

• Like 1

I must be some sort of freak.... 6'1" with a 74" reach and the WARSAW length feels perfect to me. I also run my MAGPUL ACS stocks fully collapsed on my ARs. I shoot with the weapon, whatever it is, on my chest and not on the shoulder. I also tend to square my torso to the target a little more than most people do. With a shorter stock, the weapon is closer in, a more compact package when moving through confined areas, quicker handling, and most likely harder to take from the user. With long stocks or long LOP, I feel like I am reaching for the weapon and it is harder to control while firing in rapid succession. The short stock makes it feel like it is absolutely mine and absolutely under my complete control. To each his own, but I prefer them short.

I too, feel that I can better control the weapon with a short length of pull. I realize that it's a personal preference but I've found that, with the Saiga-12, (since I like the LOP on my other shotguns a bit longer) I tend to "hug" the weapon a bit more than other weapons in my collection with the exception of my AR. I tend to control both of these weapons the same way and I can only guess that the reason is to manage recoil and direct follow-up shots easier. This isn't a "regular" shotgun, it was built on the AK platform with the express reason for it to be run like an AK. If one prefers a longer length of pull then that is simply their prerogative, but I'd try to run it the same way one would an assault rifle and then determine whether the weapon was simpler to control in that manner.

Edited by Caged