Shooting the FCG apart

Hi all it's been a while...mostly due to my Saiga workin flawlessly the past year in 3 gun matches!

But after all the tweaks I did to get it to shoot light loads, opening gas port, polish yada yada my new problem is that when shooing, the Shepard crook comes loose and the hammer pin slips out, rendering gun inoperable. It has done this twice, and both times after shooting the light loads then switching over to slugs...makes me think te gun is set with so little resistance and large gas that the slug round jar the shit out of it, and pop the crook loose. I may be wrong but bottom line is I need it to stop doing that. Are those other, flat metal doohickies more solid than the sheppards crook? Any other ideas/diagnoses would be welcome. Thanks!

Edited by negev5021

Those $%^*& shepherds crook again. They are difficult to get installed correctly, and easy to bend out of shape installing them. Then they don't have enough tension to stay put.

The flat metal doohickey (pin retainer plate) around eight bucks and shipping from CSS, is the real fix. You'll like it.

http://store.carolin...IGA-AXIS/Detail

Edited by leadchucker

Being cheap, I modify the stock Saiga spring anymore. I haven't had any problems with the 308 or a 20 and 223 I converted for other guys. I've also used the retainer plate without any issues on my 12 and 223.

Unless they have added a model, the RSA retainer needs modded slightly to work in the 12. Not hard to do and still preferable to the crook. I have both. There are S12 specific plates available, but I don't think I would prefer one over the other. Basically I would bundle it in with a bigger order and get whichever they have.

One thing I don't like about the plate is that it dictates the order of assembly. Not that big a deal, and it really shouldn't matter once you get it together you should be able to leave it Ronco style.