Integrity, Consideration, Patience, and "gut feeling"

Good guys do not always finish last....

I dragged my neighbor out to a 3 Gun event yesterday. I have been talking about it for over a month and we were both excited about it. I finished the TAC47 M.A.G.12 build and was ready to give it a whirl. Well, we get to the range where the event was supposed to be taking place.... and the gate is locked. I had obviously been misinformed by multiple people about the date of the next event. Now, I feel like a complete dumbass for dragging my neighbor about 30 miles away for nothing. I make a call to a friend of mine that knows the property owner and ask him if he is coming up to shoot and if we should hang out (he has the gate code). While we are talking, one of the property owner's employees comes up and leaves the gate open. My friend on the phone told me to go on in and shoot. I refused. I do everything in my power to operate with integrity, be considerate of other people's property, and try my absolute best to be considerate of their potential liability in a situation like this, so I ask my friend where the owner's shop is and if he might be there. He tells me where, but still tells me to go on in there and shoot that he assured me it would be fine. I was having one of those nagging gut feelings, so we left and went to the owner's shop to ask permission. He wasn't there and wouldn't be back for about a half hour. At this point, we can wait, go to another range, or just go home. I told my neighbor that I think it will be worth the wait if we just hang out, so we do. The property owner gets there, I ask him for permission to shoot at his range (more like beg, I don't do that much, but felt the need to persist). The owner seemed reluctant and respectfully stated the fact that he doesn't know me, which I understood. However, I pleaded, gave him one of my business cards (last one on my person), and guaranteed him that I would leave the site in better condition than I found it. He said OK, called his employee to see if the gate was still open, found that it was not, and drove all the way there to let us in.

My neighbor and I set up 28 steels targets and a bunch of barrels to simulate cover or what me might see in a 3 Gun event. We were out there for hours and had the time of our shooting lives. We timed oneanother on simulated stages and generally had a blast. The M.A.G.12 build showed itself to be a huge improvement over the evlblk-box-o-parts build that I ran in my first 3 Gun event that I attended in early December. I was stoked, as well as my neighbor. When we were cleaning up the range and putting all of the targets back in the storage area, my neighbor pulled out his unit coin from the SF unit that he is a member of and said he wanted to give it to the property owner as a token of appreciation for his efforts and trust. We went back to the shop and thanked him for allowing us in and taking time out from his business to make it happen. My neighbor tried to give him the unit coin and the he wouldn't take it. My neighbor insisted and said that he had to accept it. He accepted it, his eyes welled up a little, and he got quiet. We were all having a "moment" as I felt a lump in my throat and was doing my best to keep it together (I'm passionate about my inerests and hobbies, this sincerely meant a lot to me). The next thing out of his mouth was a stumbling thanks for the token of appreciation. He was near speachless. He then told us that we were absolutely welcome to use the range whenever we want and gave us the gate code. I was in disbelief and couldn't get anything out of my mouth except an expression of thanks and that if he needs anything, do not hesitate to call me. I'm always building pools in his area and may see if he and his wife will join me for lunch one day. I doubt that he will ever call with a request (I can just tell he's the type of guy that wouldn't feel right asking for a favor) and lunch is the absolute least thing that I can do as an offering of thanks. I'll trick him into getting that favor someday.... I feel it. I have a knack for things like that when they are rooted in good and honest intentions. I am a tactical genius when it comes to stuff like that and making people do the right thing. I am merely a "sower of the seed", if you will.... wink.png

Had I listened to my friend, I would have never had this experience, could have created a negative experience with the property owner, may have been banned from the premises, and would have likely never been offered use of the range in the future or the gate code. Risking that we may have just been told "No" about shooting there when we could have just went in and went at it, I followed my gut and abided by my usual code of integrity and consideration. I'm not sure why, but that stuff nearly always comes back to me in a much greater way than I would ever anticipate. Sometimes I just can't believe the rewards that are given to me for such simple acts of consideration and integrity....

evl....

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 11

You followed your gut, played by the rules, and it payed off big time. From the sounds of it, the shop owner is a veteran or family of a vet. He knew what that coin was, and what it meant to receive one. They don't give those to just anyone, and to receive one is a sign of the utmost of respect.

• Like 1

All kinds of WIN going on there.

Yes, I was absolutely floored. This kind of stuff just falls in my lap and I never feel like deserve it because I am merely doing what should be a given.

I think the owner will be directly responsible and will deserve full credit if I actually improve in 3 Gun because of the use of his range and his generousity. I am humbled, to say the very least. I'm not even sure he recognized what it meant to us.

You followed your gut, played by the rules, and it payed off big time. From the sounds of it, the shop owner is a veteran or family of a vet. He knew what that coin was, and what it meant to receive one. They don't give those to just anyone, and to receive one is a sign of the utmost of respect.

Very well stated.

Great post, "merely doing what should be a given" It seems so rudimentary but is almost the uncommon attitude these days.

Its good to see the simple concept of respect for another mans property isn't dead. I think we have a responsibility to convey that message to our youth. Where I live shooting ranges are all but a thing of the past because of the rampant lack of respect for property of other men. I battle it every day at work with the youngsters and the guys that are old enough to know better are just better at concealing it.

Thank you for posting this.

• Like 1

In the last place I lived there used to be about 3 places on private property that were the preferred ranges. One of them was my neighbor. Over the last 3 years all of them got fed up with people being dangerous, messy and disrespecting their property rights. All of them posted signs, no ranges in town left. I shot at the best one a couple of more times with the guy leasing it, but it is an era gone for Zillah.

The thing that frustrated me more than the idiots who were reckless and messy were the otherwise decent people from my church who thought it was ok to just go anyway. The disrespect to the land owner should be enough to stop you, but I would think "tresspassing while in possession of a firearm" would be an absolute prevention.

I live by my sig, sounds like you do to evlblkwpnz.

Well, mine is a Glock ;)

It is extremely simple to me and is belief-based. A man has three duties which are the minimum of what he should carry out on a daily basis. To provide, protect, and guide. I arm myself with the best and most reliable weapons that I can afford to buy, feed, and maintain. This is an effort to eliminate factors that may inhibit my ability to protect family and self. On a less serious note, they also keep me busy and ensure that there is no time or money for nonsense. I suppose I do live by them in many ways.

You guys are making me ashamed of paintballing the Girl Scouts when they sell cookies in the neighborhood.

You're just teaching them the value of being wary of strangers.

Yall aint right, airsoft is more fun.big_smile.gif

You guys are making me ashamed of paintballing the Girl Scouts when they sell cookies in the neighborhood.

You're just teaching them the value of being wary of strangers.

I appreciate that. I was scraping to find justification.