SAW Grip owners

Oh did some one say something?...

No perhaps it was just someone begging again. Excuse me while I get up from my chair and go get you some measurements AGAIN. Wait here I'll be right back in a sec. :rolleyes:

be nice to the noob. he's frustrated.

saigaK, i think dude is insulted, as cobra is the one who converted that saiga in his signature AND posted step by step instructions. there are a few different conversion step throughs, his being one of them that you insulted. dont be mad at him for taking it personally.

lets not start a big fight guys. its not a big deal. the guy is frustrated. give him a break.

lets not start a big fight guys. its not a big deal. the guy is frustrated. give him a break.

Im frustrated because I ask for information and when I finally get it turns out to be wrong.

If I ask any questions about anything im labeled as an idiot or a noob. Well I guess you cant make or write anything idiot proof....were just to clever.

Edited by SaigaK

If you got the measurements from here,

USMC LB's link

obviously f@cked something up. Stop blaming others for your mistakes.

If you are going to be such a wiseass and insult all of the very helpful people that go out of their way to help folks out, LEAVE AND DON'T COME BACK.

Do you understand? :ded:

If you are nice and respectful, you will be treated the same.

comparing photos of an sar1 and a saiga12, if your measurements are correct, it should cover the hole. the saw grip has just as much contact area as the other grips, even a tiny bit more i think. maybe you made the hole too far forward? bring it back a little bit is all, i would think

measure twice, cut once. then re measure it.

If you are nice and respectful, you will be treated the same.

I didnt fire the first shot.

OKay so the grip is supposed to cover the rear rivet hole....good....mine does. Other conversions pictures ive seen here have the pistol grip mounted further forward.. This one for example.

Notice how the front of the grip almost matches up perfectly with the rear of the Bolt Hold Open. For this to happen the rear rivet hole must be exposed.

gallery_1827_3_17451.jpg

Edited by SaigaK

If you are worried about the hole not being perfectly placed, I would say don't. If it turns out your PG isn't sitting where you need it to, make the hole bigger, and after that, (since you're using the SAW grip) you can put another bolt through the old trigger hole to really secure it if it moves around a little.

The PG nut is designed to bring the PG forward as it is tightened, snug up against the trigger guard, it also lets you have some play as far as the size of your hole goes.

Speaking of holes... open your mouth, insert foot.

Bro, I have looked at all the info you have been given regarding "math" and "measurements". No one gave you wrong info. If I am wrong, please post the link, and I'll stand corrected.

The right thing to do would to admit it and apologize. These guys aren't teachers, they regular dudes. Regular dudes that just happen to have the wherewithal and time and desire to not only post tutorials (that have served many here) but also have the courtesy to reply to your posts.

Hope everything works out for the best for you and your Saiga.

Jeric

Yep. Exactly the way it turns out if you follow USMC LB's post.

You have just been running around making rude comments and are now feeling that heat. I for one have no hard feelings. All of the Saiga's that I have converted turned out this way( Saiga 12 and 7.62).

If you can't add or subtract, blame yourself and nobody else. You had access to this diagram FAQ and you probably have access to a calculator. That's all you needed.

And the hole doesn't need to be perfect to make it work.

Edited by oak
If you can't add or subtract, blame yourself and nobody else. You had access to this diagram FAQ and you probably have access to a calculator. That's all you needed.

I used that diagram, and converted the measurments and everything. I just didnt have the tools to make the measurements on the receiever.

I have about 50 rulers and none of them where divided by 10s which is what I needed to go by! I looked at stores even....I didnt see any.

Edited by SaigaK
NO,

2.100 - 1.625 = .475

Inbetween 15/32 .46875 and 31/64 .484375

I was given one measurment and someone corrected it with this.

Will you stand corrected Jeric?

Nope. A: I'm sitting right now, and B: acetomatoco was answering your question "From there would it be acurate to cut a .5" hole?" and he corrected you and said NO, it's actually a .475" hole... splitting hairs to be sure, as we are dealing with an AK, but technically, that was a correct statement.

I used that diagram, and converted the measurments and everything. I just didnt have the tools to make the measurements on the receiever.

I have about 50 rulers and none of them where divided by 10s which is what I needed to go by! I looked at stores even....I didnt see any.

If the hole isn't covered. That's the way it is supposed to be. Success!

Yes rulers are in 8ths. You need to get a cheep micrometer from somewhere. It is in 10ths.

saigaK-

come on man. regardless of wether or not you messed up the measurement or not, regardless of wether the info given to you wan wrong or not... you get information that was volutarily given out, these guys take their own time to compile this wealth of knowlege with no compoensation and you have to nerve to complain! please!

It seams like you are blowing this thing way out of proportion. Its not that big of a deal. chill out and give em a big thanks for all the info you have gotten from this site that has helped you out. Just relax bro.. its gon' be aight :lolol:

bvamp-

measure twice, cut once. then re measure it

no way man....measure once, cut twice...cause dremels are lots more fun to use than tape measures :rolleyes:

sorry, i couldnt resist

Dude listen while I try one last time to help you. If you were doing this right it would do itself. You cant install the damned PG before the TG. If you have the TG already installed where it goes then the PG when snugged up to it can only be in one place and it doesn't matter what hole is covered up. :chris:

Is my math right?  I dont have calipers accurate enough for 1.625 and so on...so I did some problem solving.

Okay.  From the end of the "Trigger Hole"  to the beginning of the "Grip Nut Hole" is .7 of an inch.  Then from there would it be accurate to draw a 1/2" square?

ak_bot_layout.jpg

NO,

2.100 - 1.625 = .475

Well shit.....I already cut the receiever....hopefully this wont effect the position of the pistol grip too much!!

NO,

2.100 - 1.625 = .475

NO,

2.100 - 1.625 = .475

Nope. A: I'm sitting right now, and B: acetomatoco was answering your question "From there would it be acurate to cut a .5" hole?" and he corrected you and said NO, it's actually a .475" hole... splitting hairs to be sure, as we are dealing with an AK, but technically, that was a correct statement.

According to the drawing you posted it is NOT a 1/2" X 1/2" Hole.

The measurement to the right of the hole shows it as .500 OK thats the side dimension of the hole.

If you follow the lines up from the sides of the grip nut hole you see the dimension 2.100 which is from the left side of the hole to the right edge of the plate.

The other dimension 1.625 is from the right side of the hole to the right side of the plate.

Subtract 1.625 from 2.100 and you get .475 (which is between 15/32 and 31/64)

This is the top and bottom dimension of the hole.

I gave you the fractional size because you said you did not have a caliper.

You said:

Where did you get the first measurement? My correction came from looking at the drawing and doing the math.

If you miscut the hole by .025 thats slightly less than 1/32 (.031)

Just trying to help.

Here are some pics of where my PG sits. As you can see its not even close to the rear hole. I tried to follow the specs given in the tutorials but was by no means really accurate with my cutting. I winged it and when I added the cut the dang tang reciever adapter I actually had to open my hole up more because it wasnt in the right location. Oh well no biggy it aint gonna be seen by anyone.

post-1262-1125058520_thumb.jpg

post-1262-1125058595_thumb.jpg

Heres the pictures. Does it look right? To far back or anything?

Looking at your pictures it is PERFECTLY placed as far as HOW FAR BACK IT IS!!!!

There is a HOLE In front of it, which SHOULD be covered up with the trigger guard when you install that...

SaigaK... it LOOKS GOOD!!!!!!! :up:

NO WORRIES!!! ITS FINE!!!!! IT will shoot better than it looks, stop worrying and go SHOOT THAT PUPPY!

:smoke: