Let's see... R&R is a forum sponsor. MGM targets is not, but I have met Travis Gibson, and know their products. (Sorry R&R, haven't been to a shoot you sponsor, yet!)

Pricey. Like converted-for-full-race Tromix Saiga-12 pricey if you want a plate rack or a dueling tree.

My regular shooting buddy made a few steel targets, and didn't use armor plate. Pistols will not put holes in 3/8 mild steel, but 55gr Armscor FMJ at ~3500fps (26.5gr of Varget and a 24" barrel) will blow big craters (nearly all the way through).

If you get a crater, you have to scrap the plate, it's unsafe to shoot at any more.

Paging R&R! Anything important I missed?

Edited by Scott Kenny

What makes a plate with a crater or hole less safe than one without? Either one can cause ricochets the same. Not trolling here, I just don't see the rationale. (except from the companies selling them.)

I have cut myself on metal that people shot up, but that is the only real safety issue that comes to mind unless you are using the target to hide behind.

1/8" plate is probably too light/too thin, and it will likely dish a little bit as you shoot it with pistols. Just flip it around so that you shoot both sides, it should last a while. HOWEVER, any rifle will blow clear through it (as will something like a 5.7).

My friend's falling steel was 1/4", IIRC, and it flies pretty well if you smack it with #6 shot from a 12 gauge.

The 3/8" plates on the plate rack and auto-resetting sniper target don't even take a mark from 9mm or .40 jacketed.

I had hanging plates in the bushes/trees behind my house where I shoot... I was using 3/8th inch mild steel 10" X 10" plates... 22 LR never is an issue... and even the 458 SOCOM at 100 yards will not dent the plate... ( it will just about spin it over the top though!! :up: ) but any other centerfire rifle... from 223 up to 50 BMG will punch holes clean through at 100 yards or less...

( like a 50 punching a hole is a surprise... LOL )

I used to have a spinner target that I made out of 3/4" plate... even that didnt hold up well to higher power rifles like the PSL, or the 308 at several hundred yards. After a short time... it looked like swiss cheese. It took a LOT of hits... but it was not immune to getting holes in it... and that was free spinning and thick steel!!

:smoke:

Think the days of hardened steel armor are a thing of the past.

Uranium rounds and armor, what a freaking world to live in huh.

And they freak if we find a source of simple AP...

Back on target so to speak, commercial sources are not even that confident of their targets.

Edited by Rhodes1968

For some cheap steal plates just go a walk around your local RR tracks and you will find 6" by 10" steal plates that were used under the tracks and where ether replaced or just slid out from the wood rotting away. they are very heavy and will hold up to you 22 all day long. I have gone 2 times to try and find some and have found them just laying in the rocks near the tracks within five minutes.

That would be stealling. Same as if I found something on your driveway and took off with it.

And there are extra laws that hit you harder because they don't want people causing train wrecks. You can get hit with both state and fed charges over that, and railroads have detectives with legal arrest authority.

Buy them at auctions where the RR sells their old equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

AR500 is where it's at...whoever said it's a waste of money is full of crap...shoot 338LM and tell me that AR500 is a waste of money. I have a 100% IPSC target from MGM and it's awesome...we were shooting at it with FAL, ARs and SK74 and it didn't do anything to the steel.

I have a 100% IPSC target from MGM

All that means its approved my IPSC standards.

I have worked with both metals at my job. You could get AR400 and AR500 steel plates put them side by side and shoot at them and you will see no difference.

And a 338LM nothing special about that round, looked it up in my reloading manuals. And a AR in .223 cal will not even put a hole in 3/8" mild steel.

AR400 steel plate 100' with my .308 didn't even dent it. 185gr. bullet, going by my book 2800fps

227272_1824310322682_1087961132_31800688_2644318_n.jpg

all depends on the thickness of the plate. the 3/8" plate when I cut it using a oxygen/acetylene, I would make small cuts and then cool it with water so I wouldn't lose the hardness, it was the same with welding it you get it to hot and let it slowly cool down you will lose a little of the hardness. So when you weld it do about 1" then dump some water on it.