Rail on GB?

I recently converted my S12 and just ordered an Rpk handguard and retainer. I dredged through the searches awhile back and saw an S12 with a short rail screwed on where the sling mount usually goes and I can't find it anymore. I was wondering if there is enough room for a foregrip there and what rail might actually fit the space now freed up by the shorter handguard. So far its g2 trigger, hogue grip, CSS triggerguard, and KVAR warsaw length stock. Autoplug and rpk handguards from dinzag are on the way. Will post pics when I am done. Krebs combat sights are the last thing ill put on her if even those...

I recently converted my S12 and just ordered an Rpk handguard and retainer. I dredged through the searches awhile back and saw an S12 with a short rail screwed on where the sling mount usually goes and I can't find it anymore. I was wondering if there is enough room for a foregrip there and what rail might actually fit the space now freed up by the shorter handguard. So far its g2 trigger, hogue grip, CSS triggerguard, and KVAR warsaw length stock. Autoplug and rpk handguards from dinzag are on the way. Will post pics when I am done. Krebs combat sights are the last thing ill put on her if even those...

I have the K-var foregrip and today I attached a 4" piece of MOE rail: had to drill for the 2 attaching screws, obviously, and there is a rib inside the grip that has to be leveled out for the retaining screw plates. I have a grip attached. You could attach a 1-3/4" piece of rail up front, but you will have to drill it and find the right screws to fit, too. If you don't mind it sticking out front 1/4" then using a 2" piece of rail is one way to go. You can get a 3" or 4" piece of MOE rail, cut to the length you want and use one of the screw holes, drill the second to match the spacing on the gas block.

IMG_4723.jpg

Edited by vicdoc
  • Like 1

Do I need a sweet avatar with jiggling boobs or something for a response?

It couldn't hurt.

Here is what I did on my S308

Nice mammary glands. I mean, still happy with that brake? Nice mammary glands too.

You need a 2" piece of rail and then you cut off one length and then trim to fit. I'll find the piece I bought and edit my post with the info. I'll also post a photo when I get a chance. Mine is still a work in progress and not final so keep that in mind on the finish.

Edit:

The rail is just a generic rail section. Mine is just a ATI 2 in. modular aluminum picatinny rifle rail that I got off of ebay from Military_Warehouse.

Photos, sorry about the quality the only camera I have available is my iphone.

post-31055-0-19581400-1329578453_thumb.jpg

post-31055-0-62916400-1329578458_thumb.jpg

It still needs a little more work to get it to sit correctly but its not far off, just some more time with a file. Ignore the mismatched scews, they were put in to hold the rail and just make sure I didn't lose them when I put the shotgun up last night when I stopped working to get some sleep. The only problem I'm running into is that the rpk hand guard retainer isn't drilled 100% correctly so it poses a problem getting the screw started. Hope this helps.

Edited by Scorch95
  • 1 year later...

Hi

I am so glad I found your K-Var Mod I liked it so much I did the same. I used Magpul rail grip kit with 4" rail

and had a little trouble getting the handgard on but it looks very nice.

JohnnyJT cool.png

I have the K-var foregrip and today I attached a 4" piece of MOE rail: had to drill for the 2 attaching screws, obviously, and there is a rib inside the grip that has to be leveled out for the retaining screw plates. I have a grip attached. You could attach a 1-3/4" piece of rail up front, but you will have to drill it and find the right screws to fit, too. If you don't mind it sticking out front 1/4" then using a 2" piece of rail is one way to go. You can get a 3" or 4" piece of MOE rail, cut to the length you want and use one of the screw holes, drill the second to match the spacing on the gas block.
IMG_4723.jpg