After conversion mag use

After I do the conversion, including a bullet guide, can I still use my Saiga ten round magazine? I will mod the mag latch for AK mags, which I know will make the Saiga mag fit loose on the catch but I can take care of that, I was just wondering about whether the bullet guide will make it a no-go. Thanks.

Thanks all. I was just wondering if I would need to pick up a 10 round AK mag to use instead for when shooting off a bench or maybe hunting. I've already picked up some surplus 30 round mags for ammo storage and zombie control and planned on just getting more of those.

Thanks all. I was just wondering if I would need to pick up a 10 round AK mag to use instead for when shooting off a bench or maybe hunting. I've already picked up some surplus 30 round mags for ammo storage and zombie control and planned on just getting more of those.

I filed my ten rounder to match the Ak mags... it moves around quite a bit but functions 100%

Your local laws allow 10rnd mags for hunting?

damn, in maine I have to have 5 rounders and cant find a decent price on them anywhere

I filed my ten rounder to match the Ak mags... it moves around quite a bit but functions 100%

Your local laws allow 10rnd mags for hunting?

damn, in maine I have to have 5 rounders and cant find a decent price on them anywhere

Is it legal in Maine to use permanently modified magazines for hunting?

I ask because I believe it is legal here to use say a 30rd magazine that has been modified to only accept 10.

I expect it would be pretty easy to "fix" a 10rd to only take 5.

just a thought

Yeah, our regulations state

Methods prohibited (in use or in possession)

• Self-loading firearms with capacity of more than 11 cartridges in magazine and chamber combined
  • Ammunition propelling more than one projectile at a single discharge (such as buckshot)
  • Full hard metal case projectiles
  • Fully automatic firearms
  • Any sighting device that casts a beam of light on the game
  • Electronic calls or electronically activated calls

It is Missouri, after all, lol..

The Dept of Conservation also has a "shoot on sight" for feral hogs if you're have any hunting license. While they discourage "hog hunts" specifically, as they can drive the hogs into other areas, if you run across one they'd like you to shoot it, no permit for it required. They are mostly in the southern 1/3 of the state right now, and one of the reasons I went 7.62x39 instead of .223 with my Saiga.

Edited by mogunner

'mogunner'

I am preparing to do the conversion on my 7.62X39 Saiga and was wondering: What was the procedure that you used to modify the mag catch. I can see how it could be done with a small file, but CRAP, that looks tedious! What did you do?

Thanks in advance,

Old SF MJT

'mogunner'

I am preparing to do the conversion on my 7.62X39 Saiga and was wondering: What was the procedure that you used to modify the mag catch. I can see how it could be done with a small file, but CRAP, that looks tedious! What did you do?

Thanks in advance,

Old SF MJT

The video on CSS is deceiving cause I found filing at a 90 degree angle to the gun works the best and you get both sides at the same time plus you can use a standard file. You don't have to file in through the hole persay. I did start out filing through the hole but just didn't seem to be getting the job done( or maybe it helped it along) but when I went across it seemed to go pretty quick. Maybe it kinda worked in conjunction of both ways but you can catch the front edge at 90 degrees to the rifle.

Edited by Straydog

'mogunner'

Thanks in advance,

Old SF MJT

Haven't done my conversion yet, I'm still gathering information on it at the moment. I have it scheduled for Sunday, most of the parts are here already. I'm retired but work out of my home machining front sight adjusting tools for the Mosin Nagant rifles, and lately I've been swamped in orders, so finding time for my own projects and such isn't easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I may take tomorrow afternoon off from tool making and do the conversion in mine, these boxes of parts are starting to bug the crap out of me... besides, the scope mount is the only thing that hasn't arrive yet, no biggie.

Hey mogunner, I too am in the wonderful state of Missouri

As am I! Mid-Missouri here.

And the conversion is easy! I had a slow day at work one day, so I asked for a half day vacation, had time to go to MidwayUSA for the butt, and still finish the conversion that afternoon. A drill, a dremel and some punches was all it took.

I used a very careful dremel with a cut-off wheel to do my mag catch, but it was roughed enough to be a touch sticky for the first couple mag changes. It could have went wrong very easily.

Edited by Stoned_Oli