Disassembly of Retraction Mechanism

Not sure what you mean by "retraction mechanism"

You've got:

Bolt Carrier& Op-rod: these two are screwed together and are the moving parts of the gas system.

Bolt:

This is what pulls a round from the magazine guides it into the chamber. It also houses the fireing pin, and extractor( extractor is what strips the round from the chamber once it's fired)

Recoil spring & guide rod: These items are what side into the back of the bolt carrier and force it forward chambering a new round,once the weapon is fired and the OP-rod/bolt carrier have been blown back from the gas of the previous round.

I'm thinking your asking about how to break down the bolt itself. To do so you will need a set of punches, and a soft hammer.

I recommend using a block of wood or plastic to support the bolt as you drive the pins located on the side of the bolt through. The method is the same to remove the extractor claw. Simply place your punch of approriate size on the pin and gently tap the punch till the pin slides free, then simply pull the bolt head from the body. If you encounter too much resistance add some penetrating oil, such as wd40 on the pin. let it soak for a minute, wipe away the excess and try again. Hope this helps.

sounds to me like he needs to know how to pull the recoil spring out and allow for the bolt and carrier to be removed.......but I might be wrong

if thats the case Boss, best i can do is tell you to youtube " CSS Saiga12 Conversion " and watch the video till what your looking for is shown...... should take ya about 3 minuts to find the vid and watch far enough to have a fair understanding of AK platform breakdown

More specifically, I need to know how to separate the guide rod, return-spring guide, plunger, return spring, guide brush, and guard (collectively know as the "retraction mechanism" in the schematic). I've already removed the return spring and guard, which are a simple matter of lateral force.

I have never taken mine apart.

edit to add

And now that I have looked at it you have to knock

out a pin to release the guide rod.

Edited by RED333

Seriously, that guy needs to pull that video off youtube, he knows nothing about guns...

What video? Isnt one in this thread.

See reference to video in post #3 of this thread.

No, there's a guy on youtube with a how to video on the disassembly of a Saiga -12 he calls the recoil spring and guide rod the retraction mechanism. No one else who has not seen this video says this term...

The guy in the video must have been going by the parts chart that Tritium posted.

It lists "Retracting Mechanism" and even "Stopper" for the gas plug.

It's just that nobody really uses those Russian to English translated part names.

The guy in the video must have been going by the parts chart that Tritium posted.

It lists "Retracting Mechanism" and even "Stopper" for the gas plug.

It's just that nobody really uses those Russian to English translated part names.

No,no,no. It's cause we're all just idiots on a forum and trying to sound smart. You think that Ishmash doesn't care about proper tranlastion? PSH! Fool, read an instruction manual!!

mine had a bit of restance and a grinding of the spring on the bolt carier so I put grease on it and it helped a lot. maby the grease is there for a reason.

mine had a bit of restance and a grinding of the retraction mechanism on the bolt carier so I put grease on it and it helped a lot. maby the grease is there for a reason.

Fixed that for you....

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, continuing this thread..

I Have a saiga 12 where the guide rod and guide brush seem to be rusted or frozen into one piece. It's preventing me from pulling the bolt support all the way back to where the bolt stop would hold the bolt. If I remove the guide rod and spring mechanism, the bolt does move properly.

could someone confirm that the guide rod moves ,into the bush.

Thanks for any help.

GP