Antique firearm restoration - What and what not to do

Looking for some expert advise from you all on the forum. I just inherited a Winchester Repeating Arms model 1890 .22 caliber short after the death of my grandfather. It was made in 1911, and was his boyhood hunting rifle. I remember shooting this rifle when I was 12, and "Sarge", his Springer Spaniel immediately running the woods to scare up rabbits in Michigan.

The rifle has alot of sentimental value to me, but unfortunately hasn't seen any oil on the blueing for 20+ years. It has spots of rust all along the octagonal barrel, otherwise the blueing is good. I have oiled the rifle well but the pin rust spots still bother me. I want to restore the rifle, but do not want to impact the value of the rifle. Other than the surface pin rust the rifle is in perfect working order and the walnut stock is immaculate. I would love to present this rifle to my father fully restored to pristine condition. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am coming back from Michigan, but will attach photos when I get back to Alabama.

Don't do a full restore. It'll kill any collector value the gun has.

For the rust spots use gun oil and very fine quadruple ought steel wool to remove it. Very lighly use the steel wool to rub the rust spots out. If done correctly you shouldn't be able to notice any marks from the steel wool. By all means though do more research on the value and how to take care of the rust.

Thanks. You all are echoing my initial thoughts as well. As with all fire arms the value is predicated on the condition. Based on what I have researched, rifles in similar condition with similar serial numbers are going for 800 to 1200 dollars. Regardless, I won't even consider a DIY restoration despite my love for tinkering with guns and building Saigas.

I am curious if a professional restoration would negatively impact value, however this gun will never be sold or leave the family either. I'll have to put some further thought into it. Thank you for the comments and advice.

as stated by others if the gun has any collectors value you doing a restore will ruin that. (word for the day: patina)

if it's worth more to you as a family heirloom by all means clean it up and make it look like you remember it in it’s glory days.

Edited by 20-Mags

The trick to doing a real restoration is to make it look like a 100 year old rifle that has had good care. If you are going to keep it you might want to go this route. There are a number of gunsmiths out there that can do it. If you make it look like new it is just a refinish.

This is a strange coincidence. I too just became the owner of a handed down Model 1890.

Mine is in .22 Long and the serial number indicates a manufacture date of 1902.

I plan on giving her a could cleaning and oiling. Picking up a box of .22 Long and seeing

if she still shoots. Dry fire sounds crisp so I have high hopes she still shoots fine.

Good luck with yours Spacehog.

post-15138-0-68149400-1331584663_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This is a strange coincidence. I too just became the owner of a handed down Model 1890.

Mine is in .22 Long and the serial number indicates a manufacture date of 1902.

I plan on giving her a could cleaning and oiling. Picking up a box of .22 Long and seeing

if she still shoots. Dry fire sounds crisp so I have high hopes she still shoots fine.

Good luck with yours Spacehog.

Very nice DaveM. It looks like the blueing on yours may be a bit better than mine. At this point, I am going to just give it a thorough cleaning and oiling. Good luck with yours as well. The things are well built so I imagine you will be sending lead down range with no problems.

After thinking about it, leaving the patina (yes I heard you 20-mags) better honors my grandfather than restoring the rifle. It represents a lifetime spent in use as it should be. I'll take care of the rust with continual oiling, but the rest I am going to leave untouched. Thanks to all for the advice. Below are the pics:

• Like 3

I just sold an estate of 80+ firearms most were pre 1950 Winchesters. There were 2 1911 manufactured 1890s in the lot one in short the other in 22 WRF. Leave the finish alone just oil the shit out of it and it will kill the rust. They bring more $$$$$ with original finish

Edited by TapeWorm3