Questions about AFG's

Hello, I have seen a few pics of converted S-12's with the Magpul AFG's,, and was curious about their preformance.

1) Does it change the handling of the firearm noticably?, for better or worse?

2) How do they hold up after an extended range session?, do they stay tight or loosen up?

3) What are the differances between a Gen 1 and a Gen2 ?

4) How much rail space is needed to mount one ?, Is there a differance in lenght between a Gen 1 and a Gen 2?

Thanks in advance for any for your help.Any input is greatly apprieciated

In regards to an s-12 I cant say, but I really like it on my pws ar 10. It just gets your hand into a better and more natural angle imo. Definitely quality and durable like most products Ive use by magpul. The specs of the two I'm not entirely sure of, but I have the gen 2 which I know to be noticeably smaller than the 1. I'm sure you could find out the exact specs here though.. http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/88

Gen 1 is a far bit larger version, gen 2 works better with a smaller rail section... I PREFER the gen 1, especially on a 12, but alot of quads won't seat them flush. You'll need roughly 3 inches of rail for a gen2, and closer to 4 or 4.5 for a gen1.

handleing difference is noticable ....for better or worse will depend almost entirely on you and your preferances.

after several thousand rounds thru the ones I own, none have loosened up, if it does, switch to a metal rail instead of a poly rail

AFGs are amazing for rapid fire, and I love mine on my AR. You'll need a full quad rail (fully shrouds the barrel above the location of the AFG) in order to use one properly, depending on your stance and finger length. Holding and firing a long gun is kind of like holding and batting with a baseball bat, there is no 100% correct way. For example, I have to put my thumb up over the top of the side rail on the left profile of the weapon, some folks don't. Also, they are awkard to get used to, but I'd never use anything else on my AR now that I got used to it.

Since you are asking about the S12, I'd say that a VFG is better for positive control, at least in my experience/opinion. ARs (rifles in general) have less barrel rise than a shotgun, and that AFG is designed with that in mind. Plus the AFG makes it much less comfortable to shoot the S12 with a drum. The best answer is to try it out, see what you like better.

Will someone address the legality of using a AFG on a pistol?

It has been done by many.

As far as the AFG goes, I stated in another thread that I was a "Beta Tester" of sorts for Magpul on the Gen 1 before it was released. We tried it on a shitload of different rail systems and weapon platforms including my S12 with a Chaos quad. All the shooters were either Active Duty Military or prior Active Duty so we had a plethora of experience combined. We were all too used to using VFGs (I think), and the AFG did not meet the mark with us. On the Chaos railed S12, the bulk of the quad really hindered using the AFG as it was intended anyway. If you use a thumb activated weaponlight, the AFG makes it more awkward than the VFG to operate it in my opinion. The "wings" on the Gen 1 prevented the use of certain accessories on the side rails of some setups, damn near didn't clear the side rails period on another, hence the next generation Magpul put out.

Edited by MT Predator

AFG on pistol I've heard both ways,

I've seen the letter by the atf that says its ok....

I've seen Magpul themselves say NOT to put it on a pistol....

end result... no one really knows as the enforceing agency is the ATF and their definations change with their mood, unless you personally have a letter from them saying its ok ( not a copy of someone elses letter but one mailed directly to you absolveing you from any legal wrongdoing ) I'd pass.... and even if I DID have the letter, you still have to understand that on a bad day.... it means basicly dick

I'd love to put one on my Draco... no way in hell I'd ever chance it.... now, what I WOULD use and actually would like to see produced and marketed is a poly AK handguard with the AFG made in as a single unit so the unit itself would just be an odd shaped ergonomic handguard and not 2 seperate pieces... THAT I don't see how it could be held against you.... nothing quite as obvious as a poly version of an AK dong, but something like a Kvar with a bit more drop to it... hard to explaine I guess...

AFG on pistol I've heard both ways,

I've seen the letter by the atf that says its ok....

I've seen Magpul themselves say NOT to put it on a pistol....

end result... no one really knows as the enforceing agency is the ATF and their definations change with their mood, unless you personally have a letter from them saying its ok ( not a copy of someone elses letter but one mailed directly to you absolveing you from any legal wrongdoing ) I'd pass.... and even if I DID have the letter, you still have to understand that on a bad day.... it means basicly dick

I'd love to put one on my Draco... no way in hell I'd ever chance it.... now, what I WOULD use and actually would like to see produced and marketed is a poly AK handguard with the AFG made in as a single unit so the unit itself would just be an odd shaped ergonomic handguard and not 2 seperate pieces... THAT I don't see how it could be held against you.... nothing quite as obvious as a poly version of an AK dong, but something like a Kvar with a bit more drop to it... hard to explaine I guess...

I put one on my draco. My ffl assured me it was legal..but you know I understand what you mean. I've been kinda worried about it myself. I fucking hate this hooplah they play. I think it really comes down to do you have some thing they want from ya, and if so they'll use that technicality to lean on ya.

But as to what your saying about one molded from one piece, I don't think that would be a loop hole, cause wouldn't by that reasoning make a stanard "under dong" forarm legal too?..These legality questions are a motherfucker..